Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

Anyone seen this message ?

21K views 41 replies 15 participants last post by  IanJ 
#1 ·
Went out to Stratford upon Avon on Saturday and as the sun was shining took the EOS. A day trip to get away and celebrate our anniversary.

All went well (lots of bikers in Stratford) until we stopped off on the way home and (as we don't leave it parked roof down) we got the message "system error - no CSC roof operation" when we got back in.

It also has a whistle and the rear window does not appear to be in the correct position!

Car is booked in Thursday for attention.

#3 ·
Yes !!

This happened to me 3 months ago, the roof would not go back up?
I phoned VW assistance, they told me that there is no manual overide, and there is a cover in the boot.

No cover in boot, (later went in VW, they told me they have stopped the issue of these), anyway I was stuck, it could rain any minute, as it was out of hours, they could only send over a recovery man, which was not qualified.

I switched off engine / started engine / moved the car.....still no joy, then I put all the windows up and down, and that time the roof worked??

It has been at VW and had a full diagostics check but no errors reported? It has not happend since. And I hope not again.....

The fact there is no manual way to close the roof is a concern....

#4 ·
"Cover in the boot"? What are they talking about? Anyone know?

Mine is one of the first Eoses (July 2006) and I have no "cover in the boot" nor have I ever heard of one!

#5 ·
I have read about the operation of the roof and the entire thing works on sequences. If something is too slow or fast the sequence is wrong and you will receive a CSC error. If you are up for it, common fixes (besides going to your dealer) are lowering your windows all the way - opening the boot - closing the boot, then attempting operation again.

If it were me I would leave it as is so the dealer can see where the hangup is. Is your car sheltered and away from the weather as is now? If so, hang in there and let us know what the dealer says.

good luck.

#6 ·
- opening the boot - closing the boot, then attempting operation again.
Congratulations Joe for the good advice and your ability to pick up UK terminology .............. trunk = boot!

#7 ·
At least the roof is up, the car is in use - her daily drive.

Either she gets the Honda Thursday (she has only driven it a few yards in three and a half years) or I get to take her to work!

#15 ·
Will look in ours as well, was delivered early October last year so is an early one!

#20 ·
Interesting - will have to ask them where ours is next week.

The car is showing a "motor overload" and works with the diagnostic box plugged in but not without it (the diagnostic box may override some of the safety cut-outs) although it is still not seating properly. Our dealer does not have a trained roof disassembly man so it is going back in next Tuesday and they are taking it on to another dealer who has a trained man!

#25 ·
I heard the cover and triangles are very regional. It would seem just as many people had it and didn't know just as many people that never had them. They are not an option here in the US along with the warning triangle. My guy said something about Canada and/or UK customers only.

Hope this helps Neh...

#27 ·
triangles and plastic covers

Nope. They are not included in Canada either. Here are the facts from my research:

Triangles: in some places, warning triangles are required, by law, for all vehicles. In order to handle this, most European cars have space to store them cleanly. Here, in Canada, only commercial vehicles require some form of emergency warning (either triangle or flare). In an effort to keep costs down, cars shipped to areas that don't require triangles still have the space for it but don't have the triangle. You CAN order the triangles from your local dealer for a small fee. I think I paid 20 bucks for mine.

Plastic Covers: VW was worried, back when they first released the car, that the top may have issues closing even though their extensive testing showed they were very reliable. Because of this, they included these inexpensive "one use only" covers to keep the cars dry in case of a top failure. Since then, months of deliveries and no top issues confirmed that the top was reliable enough not to worry about mass failures. They discontinued the covers and we can't even purchase them via the dealership as an after-sales part. The covers don't exist in the ordering system anymore. I have heard that some dealerships have some, and you can probably get them from EBay... but I don't think it is really worth it.

Basically, the cover is a one use thing designed for a top-moving emergency. They are evil to put in, and take longer than putting up the top normally (so no reason to use them as a "quick cover" instead).

I did buy a VW triangle because I am a safety-crazed lunatic that has tools, blankets, first aid kits, air compressors and various other "things" in the boot for emergencies. A triangle that fits the little slot just seemed natural to me. :) I looked for the cover and found them available for FAR too much on ebay and decided that I'd rather have warranty cover "blow drying the carpets" than pay over a hundred bucks for a one-use plastic cover that will probably take too long to install during a flash rain to help anyway.

:) Your mileage may vary... Maybe a local dealer has a hidden stash of the covers. None in Canada did, because not many were delivered here before VW decided it was a waste of space/money.

Cheers.

Sarcastic note: if you really really really want to have a cover for your car for that time the roof won't close when it is about to rain... I have an answer. Go to your local camping supply store and ask for a rain jacket for your heavy-set friend. Tell them you need one in an XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXL size. That should work. And, when not in use for this, you can tie off the arms, use the air compressor (I mentioned I have one in the car, right?) to blow it up and use it as a play pen for the kids!

I'm all about multi-purpose objects!

;)

#29 ·
Feedback so far

They have changed a sensor and as a result it only worked intermittently so they were looking at the wiring - I was not happy with this unspecific response and asked them for more detail. Also our dealer had not told the repairing dealer about the motor overload!

Spoke to them again yesterday and they have identified a sticking linkage (may be causing the motor overload) and more parts are on order. They say this is a big job!

Meanwhile she has a 1.4 Golf Plus (slow, no leather, no air con, no sat nav, no....well it has a radio! - hardly an inspiring drive!

It turns out that the cover is a discontinued part and can no longer be ordered. We used to have a big plastic cover that we used to keep the ice/frost off the car in winter (up north). Argos have this one:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...nd+leisure>C$cip=1500006371.Car+equipment.htm

The one we had was not quite as big as this but for £8 it can sit in the boot in case it is ever needed!

#31 ·
Further feedback. They have now changed the linkage and it has not cured the problem - now awaiting help from Germany!

#32 ·
Spoke to our dealer again yesterday and was told a different story to the one that was told last week!!! Signs of "send three and fourpence . . . . "

Rang the dealer that has the car and asked them what is going on - so far they have changed a hydraulic ram and pump and have ordered a microswitch (front of roof near windscreen) which has a broken mounting rivet and so was switching in the wrong place (Apparently there are 21 of these switches in the roof mechanism). The switch assembly arrived yesterday but was the one delivered was the wrong hand so another is on order - will see what turns up today.

As of yesterday they have now had the car for two weeks - they tell me that even VW German have not seen the fault before, one of the problems of a new car design.

She wants to change it when we get it back :-(

#33 ·
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the car cover was fitted to early build cars. Probably as a form of insurance for problems with the roof.

Subsequently with a lack problems with the roof operation in service this has been discontinued.

#34 ·
Dealer is now into the fourth week, aparently they have fixed the roof but there are now two scuffs on the car so they are fixing these!

SWMBO has lost all confidence in the roof and wants to get rid of it ! ! ! !

Anyone looking for a golden eos?

#35 ·
Hi Ian!
Sorry to read about your ongoing saga. Try not to get to un nerved by your wifes complaints. Let her get her car and confidence back in it, and I am pretty sure she will fall in love with it all over again. Sometimes we girls like to throw in the odd wild card, just to watch you boys panic. Oh its great stuff when you men look like a rabbit caught in the headlights lol.
No, seriously all the best with the car.

#39 ·
And the saga continues . . . .

Friday 7th got a call from Willenhall VW (Our dealer) who had the car back. They would not let us have it back because Stourbridge (who have the trained - but obviously not very well trained - man) had damaged the car. Scuff on one of the glass roof panels and a scuff on the paint. They were sending the car back to Stourbridge to get it fixed. Gold star to Willenhall - black mark to Stourbridge.

Car eventually returned to us Thursday last week (after 3 1/2 weeks). Wife had said "don't operate the roof in case it fails again - I thought better! I wanted to check it was working OK.

Opened the roof and there is a scuff on the side interior panel that they had missed and when the roof went back up the rear quarter cover on the passenger side got caught and is not sitting properly. Since I am dealing with the dealer principal (at Willenhall) and he was out Friday no-one else would speak to me! When I told my wife it was me who was shouted at for operating the roof at all!

When I spoke to the dealer principal yesterday he had spoken to Stourbridge who had said "they were a little concerned about some clips" - so why did they send the car back saying it was working correctly ! ! !

In addition they cannot explain where all the petrol went! Didn't keep a note of the mileage when it went in, will next time!

Stourbridge are waiting for parts (including a whole head lining and the rear passenger side trim panel) and sugested collecting the car from my wife's office and returning it the same day ( ha ha - it is 1 1/2 hours each way including M5-M6 Junction (most congested junction in the UK for those who don't know it) and they would not leave Stourbridge until 08:15 and expected to have the car back before 5:00, does not leave much working time and I don't want them driving the car hard to save time).

She is adamant that it is going as soon as it is in a fit state to trade and now I agree with her. It has been off the road more time in 11 months than the total for every other car we have ever had over 30 years of motoring, and that includes 2 more than 10 years old, 2 (not the same 2) with 100k miles or more and one Renault - the worst before this. Not just a few days more but WEEKS more.

It remains a nice car to drive and is beautiful to look at but it is an expensive beast to run if you are too scared to open the roof in case it fails.

#40 ·
Took the car down to Stourbridge this morning, collect it this afternoon. Will try the roof before I leave.

At least they gave me a Golf 1.4 this time

A 1.4 TFsi GT 170 DSG - interesting drive, does not feel like a sub 8 sec to 60 car!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.