Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

Trunk Release Issue With 2007 Eos

16K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Gillette2007Eos 
#1 · (Edited)
Just recently purchased a one owner, certified 2007 Eos with 35,000 miles on it. I was told that the original owner traded it in on a new Eos (easy to believe). Came with a 2 year or 24,000 mile warranty. When I push the trunk release button on the driver's door, I am not able to get to the trunk before it closes! Had the dealership take a look and they said they fixed it (NOT). Any ideas? I'm thinking that maybe the trunk lift struts are worn and not allowing the trunk lid to open far enough, thus activating the 'automatic' close feature. What say you?

Also, the emblem that enables me to lift the trunk lid stays in the 'open' position. Are these two connected in some way?

Thanks!

2007 Eos, Luxury package

#2 ·
Is it very cold where you are?If the struts are worn there many not be enough pressure to open and hold the lid.This may go away as the temperature increases.

#3 ·
That has been true of my Eos. When the weather was cold the lid would re-shut but now the temperature is around 10C it is fine again. I think the boot/trunk seals 'bed down' with age and less springyness to push the boot up slightly.

I don't think the 'sticking emblem' is anything to do with it - might need a squirt of maintenace spray (e.g.WD40) on the emblem pivots with the emblem open.

#4 ·
Look inside the trunk lid of your Eos you will see two round bumpers that are spring loaded that should move up and down freely. These should compress when you shut the trunk and should hold the trunk lid just high enough when you pop the release button so that the motor does not pull it back down while you are walking from the drivers door back to the trunk lid.

Use your finger to make sure they move up and down freely - if they don't that is your problem. Mine did what yours is doing and after I worked the buttons up and down a few times a year ago it has never happened since.

#11 · (Edited)
Look inside the trunk lid of your Eos you will see two round bumpers that are spring loaded
These bumpers are also adjustable. There's a torx screw in the center that acts like a wedge. Just unscrew it a bit and you're able to pull the bumper assembly out a few notches and then screw back in.
Thanks guys! Here are some pics to illustrate.

(1) Left bumper located on the trunk edge.
(2) I used an allen key to undo the locking screw all the way.
(3) With the screw loose, I pulled the bumper out a notch or two. (Actually I pulled it out way too far - just so you could see the ridges in the square part of the bumper. It's these ridges which lock against corresponding ridges in the body of the bumper (I guess) when you tighten the adjustment screw up again. Quite clever really.

Attachments

#5 ·
evolvingpowercat: Yep, that did it! Much thanks! I pushed them several times and then tested opening it from the driver's door button and taking a 'casual' stroll to the trunk and it opened every time! Sweet!

toureos: I did as you instructed and applied some WD-40 to the emblem and it not only closes after using it, it also unlatches the trunk like it's suppose to! Great catch! Thanks!!

#6 ·
These bumpers are also adjustable. There's a torx screw in the center that acts like a wedge. Just unscrew it a bit and you're able to pull the bumper assembly out a few notches and then screw back in. Be careful because the screw does not bottom out or get tight. It just needs to be positioned in the middle of its travel to secure the bumper.

#8 ·
My 07 trunk release works (or doesn't work) just like fullcirclethink, but I found that if I hit the door lock button twice the trunk is unlocked and I didn't have to race back to open it. I guess I'd better take a look at those round, rubber bumpers. Steve

#10 ·
It may just be me, but I think you need to be a bit more clear with your post in order for me to understand what you are trying to say.

Sorry if I seem to be a bit dense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.