Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

2009 coolant temp sensor location

13K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Tim 2009 EOS 
#1 ·
I have a n '09 eos 2.0 tsi and yesterday I got a check engine light with p2181 code. There aren't any leaks and it doesn't overheat. I was going to replace the coolant temp sensor but I am unable to find it. It is not located in the hoses above the transmission or in the plastic housing at the back of the head. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
That code is a cooling system fault but it doesn't always mean it's a sensor - Google around for it. It could be the stat, pump, low level coolant or pump. These engines are also fussy about air locks in the coolant circuit and VW recommend vacuum filling. If you were using vcds it would tell you the temperature read by sender if it was ok. Check out these photos:

https://www.google.com/search?q=vw+...venozPAhUMDsAKHYgFA6QQsAQIHQ&biw=1524&bih=763

#4 ·
Why not look at the photos in the link I posted? Identify your engine and follow them to the discussion forums? VW put your engine in other models and Bentley sell a workshop manual for the EOS. I have the TDi and that's the motor I know best.

#5 ·
On my 08 with the 2.0T FSI the sensor is on the thermostat tube. It was such a knuckle buster to get to I changed both it and Stat while I was doing the job. Didn't want to have to go back and do the other later. Not sure if the TSI is the same good luck. Took care of my occasional code coming up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.