Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

Trunk Lock Jailbreak Mod.

9K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  voxmagna 
#1 · (Edited)
There have been several posts discussing trunk lid locking issues, particularly when there is an electronic control or power problem. At least 1 member found the emergency unlock pull wire behind the ski panel didn't work.

If a trunk lid stays locked, you only have the emergency release to rely on and its design involves a path of 3 parts to operate a nylon cam in the lid lock unit - plenty to go wrong!:(

I had all my lock and lid trim off and was able to have a good look at the lid lock unit. To my surprise, the lid lock comes with a design to fit a cable directly to the operating cam, rather than use their silly design of a plastic push stick upwards from the rear panel.:( The trims around the lock 'V' are easy to remove. the large rectangular cover has to be removed to remove the inner lining, as covered in my linked post. There is an additional black plastic cover which has small pegs and slides off to the right. This cover does an important job - it stops their plastic rod dong thingy from falling out and leaving you without an emergency release! make sure it goes back correctly. Push up the rectangulat end of their dong to make sure there is no fouling and the extra jailbreak wire operates the white cam smoothly, no friction, or you cut the nipple too long.

They chose their way because it mean't they could keep the cable wire on fixed parts of the car and not have a cable moving with the lid, even though that would be a direct coupling and more reliable. My 'Jailbreak' mod. offers a second alternative to the VW emergency pull wire - Plan B!

I worked out I could easily attach a wire but couldn't get it permanently run to the ski panel and deal with the hinging trunk lid - hinging in 2 directions due to the roof operation. The idea for the second release I came up with was to have sufficient wire with a loop end to reach the ski panel, but keep it loosely coiled and fixed to the rear panel of the lid. With the loop left exposed, it could be hooked and brought into the ski panel with a wooden pole and hook screwed on the end.

The photos are self explanatory. I used 0.7mm nylon coated stranded steel wire 2.2m long from The Scientific Wire Co. U.K which is extremely flexible and won't interfere with the OE emergency release. You could use 50lb trace wire from a fishing shop. They usually sell it with crimp ferrules. I made the nipple using a red size butt crimp, cut down so it wasn't proud in their white cam. The nylon screw is M8 center drilled 1.5mm, all I had and a bit large for their 6mm hole. I trimmed down a few threads near the head with an angle grinder to 6mm diameter. You may find cycle cable parts will fit.

I made a 70mm loop at the far end and used black pvc wire sleeve over. I wondered about red, but it would be too obvious and tempting for little fingers to pull.

The wire runs behind the lid trim cover coiled loosely behind the left bulb change cover panel, with the black loop end sticking out on the surface.

If the OE pull wire or mechanism fails, I poke a broom handle fitted with a screw hook through the ski panel, pick up the loop, pull the wire through then pull to unlock. Simple and reliable.

I already covered removing the trunk lid trim in the following post. Consider doing both DIY mods at the same time!

http://www.vweosclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25138

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Good info and pics. Thanks.

Always enjoy reading your write-ups.

Just an FYI for anyone looking for stainless steel wire: fishing line suppliers everywhere sell something similar called "leader wire". Lots of different types. I discovered that years ago for a project I was working on.

Here's an example: http://t.basspro.com/Malin-Trident49-Strand-Wire/product/53196/ (Good for catching sharks, apparently :) )

#4 ·
I'm going to bump this old post because I have myself been in jail! The trunk lock emergency release design did not work on MY07 and this jailbreak mod is the only way to open the trunk lock in certain situations:

I have already explained how the trunk lock works. When the trunk lid is locked and pulled down on to the seal (no daylight under the bottom edge when you look through the ski hatch), the emergency release wire pulls a lever up the black square on the lower part of the upper lock, pushes inside and releases the catch holding the claws. With the rear lock panel trim removed you can see that the cam lever operated by the emergency pull rotates fully to a stop and the lock releases.

During a roof operation the pull down motor lifts the lower lock roller to a high position and at a later stage the trunk lock will be electrically unlocked by the roof controller allowing the lid to swing out. If the roof faults part open, the two 'C' claws in each rear corner of the lid will be closed and the lid will be raised a little but still locked. In order to open the trunk you have to deal with the closed 'C' claws AND the trunk lock. But the emergency release won't release the lock when the pull down motor is in the raised position. I made some measurements and found the lever pushed up by the emergency release needs to be about 5mm longer - but if it was, it would foul on the sides as it went into the hole. Another complication is when the pull down is raised, the trunk lid has more upwards tension from the gas struts pushing the lock claws harder against the roller. Even with this jailbreak mod. you have to get somebody to wiggle the trunk lid whilst pulling on the wire for the lock to release.

Without this jailbreak mod. you are pretty stuffed at getting the trunk lock to open.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.