Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

Forge Wintake on a TFSI

11K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  calversbuyuk 
#1 · (Edited)
I spent the morning fitting my new Forge Wintake air intake to my EOS. Generally the installation went quite well but a few issues:

1. There are no instructions included!!
2. I had to purchase a deep 24mm 12 point socket to get the rear engine cover mounts off in order to fit a supplied heat deflector that uses them as the mount point.
3. Getting the pipe off the turbo inlet was a challenge, very restricted space and a spring clip is used to keep it on. After finally managing to get the spring clip off it was then really hard to get the pipe off, guess it has been there happily for about 5 years!! Needed to use a claw hammer to pull it off in the end.

I had also ordered a new MAF sensor and connector with the intake as my MAF connector is broken and refuses to come off the MAF sensor, unfortunately I ordered the wrong connector so for now I have had to keep using the original MAF sensor. I will run with the intake a week or so and then do the Alienttech Powergate engine remap. :)

Before and after pics:

I am going to go for a drive soon to see if I notice any difference, not really expecting any. No noticeable increase in induction noise just revving it on the drive, that's good as I don't want to draw attention to it. :)

Adam

See less See more
#3 ·
Well it looks pretty cool...can you re fit the 'engine cover"...?

Hurry up and fit the 'chip'....!!

Dave...

#4 ·
The engine cover won't go back on as it stands, would need a lot of modification. If I stick with this intake then I might look at doing something with the cover.

Will do the remap after running with the intake for a week. :)

Adam

#5 ·
Looks very good Adam, is it really noisy because that would stop me being able to put one on my car (her indoors wouldn't appreciate it.) I took her out for a spin once in a Lotus Espre S2 I was working on and she didn't like the induction or dump valve noise.
Mick

#8 ·
Hmm, I am getting close to removing the Wintake. There is definitely a performance improvement but the noise is a problem for me. In general driving in other traffic even with the roof down you can hardly notice it but get on a quieter road or in a tunnel and there is no avoiding it.

Given this is an enclosed system I am surprised how much noise there is, induction noise I could understand but I now hear the turbo spool up and whine (at certain rpm under load) and the dump valve doing its thing. Considering wrapping the piping but have asked Forge and they say it probably won't make much difference. :(

Haven't managed to get a recording yet but will soon.

Adam

#11 ·
OK, so I have run the Wintake for a week now and I am really not happy with the noise levels. I think if the car also had a loud exhaust then it would be ok but with a stock quiet exhaust all that intake and turbo noise on its own is not nice. Plus I am 40 not 20 anymore and it's an EOS not a Skyline or WRX!!

Unfortunately I was not able to get a good recording of the intake.

So now what, from a mechanical engineering standpoint I know all about the benefit of a RAM intake and a Cold Air Intake (CAI), the Wintake is both being an enclosed pod filter with a funnel directly to the front grill. As I am about to get the car tuned I know that allowing it to breathe freely is also very important.

So I looked at the car and decided to see if I can make a hybrid intake, still use the Wintake funnel and filter but feed it in to the stock engine cover with the panel filter removed, as opposed to using the Forge metal pipe that I am sure is amplifying the noises.

It is a tight fit but it lines up pretty well!

Sorry for the poor picture, was taken quickly with my phone.

Now it is much better! All the noises are still there just 1/3 of the volume and the induction sound is deeper. Still some turbo whine but much quieter.

It is a very tight fit so what I might do next weekend is cut away part of the engine cover so that the filter sits better and it will be easier to remove/replace the engine cover.

Much happier! :)

Adam

#12 ·
That looks just like it came out of the factory, very neat job Adam and to be honest I like a bit of induction noise it reminds me when I had twin 40's on my old Cortina (its just the Mrs that doesn't).
Mick

#13 ·
That looks just like it came out of the factory, very neat job Adam and to be honest I like a bit of induction noise it reminds me when I had twin 40's on my old Cortina (its just the Mrs that doesn't).
Mick
I agree Mick, induction noise on a NA carby engine is very sexy but induction noise with a turbo engine is completely different, it keeps changing as the turbo spools up/down. Plus the problem with the Wintake system is the use of the metal pipe, it is amplifying the noises and making them very tinnie. Really not a nice sound.

With the setup I have now it is much better, still induction noise but more subtle and deeper. Less rice more nice! :D

Adam

#16 ·
Someone on another forum pointed out to me that I really need to check that the stock airbox is completely sealed as normally it is sealed around the panel filter and nothing can get to the box exit any other way than through the filter. Without the filter there the whole box from inlet to outlet will need to be sealed to prevent unfiltered air being pulled in.

So at the weekend I pulled it all off and sure enough there are holes everywhere that I had not even thought about!

I tried running a flexible air intake pipe from inlet to outlet inside the box but could not get that to work properly. I was about to give up completely on the Wintake and just get a high flow panel filter when I discovered the following on the K&N site:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=57-0570

This filter setup also uses the stock airbox without the panel filter and the instructions explain how to seal it up. :)

So I bought some black silicone sealant and also some rubber strip that is used to hold the mesh in fly screen doors/windows and set about sealing up the box. It was quite easy to do in the end.

Just thought I would add this in case anyone else does a similar setup. Oh and I looked at trimming back the engine cover but decided it would be too much work as I would have to cut both halves of the box and then find a way to seal up the cut edge. Not worth the effort, it all fits with some firm encouragement. :)

Adam

#17 ·
Decided to revisit my intake setup today, really wanted to put the full Wintake system back on as I don't have confidence that the stock air box is totally sealed plus it is still sitting on top of the hot engine.

So I went to my local car accessory store and bought a sheet of heat and sound insulation, basically a 5mm think glass fibre layer between two foil layers, and wrapped the whole Wintake pipe before fitting back in the car.

It works! Just a little more noise than my previous setup but nowhere near as loud as without the wrap. So the metal pipe was amplifying the noise as I suspected.

I also decided to upload the "track" tune today as well as I have not tried it before, will be interesting to see how it goes on my way to work tomorrow!! :)

Adam

#18 ·

I also decided to upload the "track" tune today as well as I have not tried it before, will be interesting to see how it goes on my way to work tomorrow!! :)

Adam
If today's traffic is as bad as it has been on my last couple of trips to Sydney, the only experience you will get is having the sound system volume a notch or two lower..............:D:D.

It takes me around half the time to travel from Taree to the F3 exit at Wahroonga to get from Wahroonga to Sutherland unless I travel late at night.

#20 ·
Know the road well from my younger days driving back to Newcastle from Manly when I got bored with Mona Vale Road - a real fun road provided no-one is coming the other way, the old "prima facie" speed limit rules applied and you were in an unbadged 1971 XY 351 V8 with GTHO manual gearbox, LSD, steering, brakes and suspension [the only giveaway was the dual exhausts at the rear and the car was lower than a standard Falcon] ;);).

Still a fun way to get to work though and the benefits of the APR modifications will help; would like to see the faces of the "rice-burners" when they cannot keep up with an Eos :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.