Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

Problem with roof not opening

142K views 43 replies 26 participants last post by  voxmagna 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi folks. Being new here I apologise if this is in the wrong place.
I have a 2007/08 Eos bought second-hand last year. I love it :)
It's been fine apart from the odd leak in very wet weather but I tried to open the roof the other day and nothing happens. The sunroof will still open but the top won't fold down at all. I'm just getting an error message to consult a dealer. Just want to know if that's my only option. Could it be something as simple as a fuse?
Also, the outside temperature sensor doesn't appear to be working - Do you any ideas on that?
Thanks in anticipation of some help before I spend a fortune at the garage :)

#2 ·
Hi folks. Being new here I apologise if this is in the wrong place.
I have a 2007/08 Eos bought second hand last year. I love it :)
It's been fine apart from the odd leak in very wet weather but I tried to open the roof the other day and nothing happens. The sun roof will still open but the top won't fold down at all. I'm just getting an error message to consult a dealer. Just want to know if that's my only option. Could it be something as simple as a fuse?
Also the outside temperature sensor doesn't appear to be working - any ideas on that?
Thanks in anticipation of some help before I spend a fortune at the garage :)
I have an 09, made for the U.S. car, so not sure it this applies to you.

On my Eos, there is a 20 amp fuse that controls the top and remote key function.

#4 ·
Hi Lymorelynn: As a suggestion, is the luggage cover in the boot deployed? Bear in mind also that the left hand bottom of the luggage cover, where it engages on the socket on the boot floor, also operates a switch which tells the roof that the luggage cover is in position, and so can be opened. There is a spring clip on the bottom of the luggage cover which ensures that the luggage cover remains in place. Sometimes this spring falls out. It's worth checking.

#5 ·
You are right except for one thing, It will not give you an error message such as what he said, " error message to consult a dealer".

It definitely sounds like a fuse or a more serious problem with the Top mechanism.

#6 ·
I will have to go to the Pound Shop and get myself a new pair of reading glasses! Having re-read the article,and ref. the external temperature not working, the drivers handbook says somewhere that the roof will not open when the temperature drops to less than 5c. (I think, havent read it lately).
Could these two defects be related?:eek::eek:

#7 ·
Hi,
It's unlikely that low temperature will cause the roof not to open. I cannot remember any low temperature shutdown mechanism, and the roof is not supposed to communicate with the "Comfort" (A/C and stuff) system. There are usually issues with the battery voltage, since it's affected by temperature and the car may decide that it doesn't have enough "juice" to power the roof. Other than that, check you spare wheel well for water. The pump is housed there, and it sometimes drowns

#8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. It's not the boot cover - I know that comes up with a different error message. Checked the fuse box but it isn't the same configuration as shown in the manual so I'm not certain of what I should be looking at. Checked the two 50amp fuses in there and both looked okay - the manual said the roof operation one is 50 amp.
I'll check the spare wheel to see if the problem is there. I hope it's not going to cost a fortune or my husband won't be too pleased, especially as I talked him into buying the Eos for me

#9 ·
eos roof will not open

I had this problem 2 weeks ago, took the car back to Garage, they plugged their box of tricks into the car, and after various tests the problem was no power from the control unit (ECU) which is in the boot. car on 57 plate 6 months of a 12 month warranty, cost would have been £318 if I had to pay regards Graham

#10 ·
My problem has been solved for the cost of £25!
The problem was that the temperature sensor didn't work and the roof wouldn't open because the system couldn't tell if it was below -15. A new sensor and it's all working perfectly.
Thanks for all suggestions

#11 ·
Glad you got sorted for a reasonable price and thanks for the feedback, it might be helpful to another forum member one day.
Regards,
John

#12 ·
Roof not opening

Two of the last three times I tried to open the roof it stopped after the rear deck opened and just before the arm retracted from the front windshield. Took it to the dealer.They "verified concern, inspected and found the drivers side cover near the rear window catching up on the headliner section that folds back, upon inspection found one of the loops for the strings broken and causing the headliner to drop just enough to hold the flap from moving causing the top not to open. Removed and replaced top strings with re-string kit and checked for quality control, flap is now pulling back correctly and not getting stuck and top operated to spec several times". I was not able to find anyone else on the forum that had this problem but they had the parts in stock and it took about 5 hours to fix. $500 later, part covered by GEICO's breakdown insurance, it has been fixed! It is now 69 degrees outside! Why am I inside typing this?

#24 ·
Two of the last three times I tried to open the roof it stopped after the rear deck opened and just before the arm retracted from the front windshield. Took it to the dealer.They "verified concern, inspected and found the drivers side cover near the rear window catching up on the headliner section that folds back, upon inspection found one of the loops for the strings broken and causing the headliner to drop just enough to hold the flap from moving causing the top not to open. Removed and replaced top strings with re-string kit and checked for quality control, flap is now pulling back correctly and not getting stuck and top operated to spec several times". I was not able to find anyone else on the forum that had this problem but they had the parts in stock and it took about 5 hours to fix. $500 later, part covered by GEICO's breakdown insurance, it has been fixed! It is now 69 degrees outside! Why am I inside typing this?
Hi Fred
I have the same problem as u had i think.
When opening the roof, the rear trunk opens but then nothing happens...
That's the moment when the 2 roof arms should come loose from the front wind screen.
I really have no idea what to do as i am not such a fantast at english because i'm from Belgium :p
I think it will be a trip to the garage i guess.
Thx anyways :)

Grtz Bert

#14 ·
I'm going through the string thing right now. I don't know if it is frayed or stretched. It works fine on warmer days but the flaps on both sides hang up on the roof liner when it's cooler.

#15 ·
I came across this problem very occasionally on my previous EOS. Luckily it was the flap behind the drivers seat so on the odd occasion when it would stick I just turned round and encouraged the flap to open. I did have a look at re-tensioning the string, but I seem to remember it wasn't that straight forward as the loop is crimped so I never got around to it.

The only other time was when I had a sweeping brush across the rear footwell's and it seemed to interfere with some sensors in that area until I moved it.

#16 ·
Roof stops opening message "boot lid swing out"

Hi all, just joined and yet to find out how to start a new thread, so tagged onto this one. My wife has an 09 Eos, tried to open the roof today, it gets part way through the sequence and then stops. message is "boot lid swing out" There is nothing close to the boot of the car so nothing in the way. Could not find anything on the internet, so must be rare?

So thought best to ask here if anyone has any experience or knows how to cure it.?

#17 ·
Hi and welcome to the forum.
It's the sensors on the rear bumper that send the "clear/not clear" signal to the control unit so it's worth taking a close look at them first. The smallest bit of contam can give a false alarm so get right down to check.

Another cause can be water in the sensors, especially from a jet wash.
If these are okay I think you'll need to be looking at the hall sensors/sequence which could mean a dealer visit.

Try a search on here first though, you might get some more clues if you're lucky.

Regards

John

#20 ·
When I have this problem, it is because the headliner flap is hung up on a strut. You can move it slightly and the string will pull it into position and the top will go down. I think this is a fairly common problem, some dealers are able to adjust the strings and some (like mine)can't.

Steve

#26 ·
top freezes on "boot lid swings out"

I am experiencing this problem with my 2008 Eos and the dealer already replaced a sensor in the boot (trunk) lid for 225$ at the VW dealer and they told me that was the culprit. Obviously the dealer doesn't know what they're doing... How do you move it slightly so the string pulls into position ?

#21 ·
Looking for advice before heading for the dealership!

I have a 2008 Lux Eos. Last year we started having problems while putting the top down, it would stop half way through its process. Took it to the dealership (it was still under warranty) and of course it wouldn't repeat it's problem. Finally while the service writer was in my car the top stopped going down and a code showed up on the dash. The service writer didn't see it (of course he wouldn't) so he sent me home. Yesterday while I was out running errands I decided to put my top down. I tried 4 times and it stopped halfway through. This time on my dash it said "Boot lid swings out" and that's where the top stopped going down. That was new. When I got home and parked it in the garage I tried putting the top down again and it still stopped when the boot lid swings out. About 5 hours later I tried it again and this time the top went down. We noticed that while we are out driving and decide to put the top down is when it won't go down. But once it's parked in the garage and the car has sat for a few hours then it'll go down. I have an appointment with the same garage Wednesday morning. If I can't go in there and tell them what I think the problem is and the top goes down for them then they will charge me for looking at my car and they'll send me home and I'll keep having the same problem. I wish I could go somewhere else but this is the only VW dealer in my area. We paid a lot of money for this car and I still love driving it but it's useless if I can't enjoy driving with the top down on nice sunny days. :confused:

#23 · (Edited)
Just found out that when the boot lid is swinging out it's getting caught on the interior flap that is folding in. Going to see what the hang up is.
First of all, welcome to our forum and we hope to hear from you often as you learn how to wend your way through it. We hope you will contribute as well.

There is a lot of knowledge on this forum , so be sure to read through some of the threads to learn a lot about your car.

As you probably noticed, "eismeerblue" posted a few weeks before you did, answering your question and basically, solving your problem.

Let us know if the dealership is going to correct this problem for you and the final outcome.

#25 ·
Hi, I have a 2007 eos and as I was putting the top up, it closed completely except the sliding glass of the sun roof didn't close. I tried to use the button, it moves a bit but doesn't close. Checked for obstructions and tried the reset but still open...ideas? The display also prompts me to close sliding glass. Thx

#27 ·
I am interested in those side flaps too. I have read a few posts where they have literally jammed up the roof mechanism. I always watch mine as the roof opens and closes and I am not that happy about their action.

They seem to get the tension on from the cords as the roof is operating. Then there is a sudden 'flip' as they move out of the way.

That seems too close a call to me for something cosmetic that could interfere with the roof opening and closing.

#28 ·
I am having the same / similar problem.. I have a 1.6 FSI 2006 and when I try to open the roof the sunroof retracts, the boot lock pops but does not lift, the rear window pops and a small gap becomes apparent, bu then the system errors and I am told to close the roof. When I do the boot does not catch and the sunroof fails to close.. I have to do it with the smaller sunroof button.. I then have to get out and really slam the boot to make it catch.
Cornelia, what do you mean by the reset ? PS I cannot work out how to start a new thread on here either.. Can anyone help please.. Great site by the way !!

#29 ·
I cannot emphasis strongly enough that a diagnostics scan is very important to help solve these types of problems. Your EOS roof system is controlled by a computer and you need a computer to listen to what it tells you may be wrong.

The system is designed to stop operating (causing expensive damage) when it thinks there is something abnormal. Looking at the in-car panel warning is the last thing the system tells you. You need to scan for stored fault codes.

#30 ·
Do you mind if I tag onto the end of this thread? Thanks. Sent EOS 2006 to dealership last week for roof service. Took an hour or so and coat £80 but I thought "Better safe than sorry". Tried to open the roof today for the first time since service. The sunroof bit opened fully but nothing else. Error message "Open Rear Lock" appeared. Went boot/trunk and it was open. Tried buttons up/down sunroof/roof conversion with no joy. Sunroof wouldn't close with roof conversion switch but luckily it did close with sunroof switch. Went to boot to find it open. Attempted to close it but there's no grab to close it with that hydraulic like noise. Assume that roof conversion is trapped in some cycle that it can't clear. Either that or the boot lock switch isn't working correctly. Can anyone help me please?

#31 · (Edited)
£80 won't buy you much at the dealer. Did they do a diagnostics scan included in that price, what were the results and what did they actually do?

The roof system will abort if something isn't right. It sounds like your trunk latch isn't working properly. Does it work normally with the whirring noise when you close it and open it with the indoor switch or center button on the remote fob?

Also check the tray inside the trunk is correctly seated as there's a sensing switch and the roof will not operate if the tray is up.

Is your battery 100% up to full charge and are you operating the roof controls with the engine running (best)? If all else fails and you are struggling in the dark, Find/write down your radio code, disconnect the battery negative and leave off for 30 minutes. Then make a clean re-connection without arcs and sparks. Fully lower and raise all the windows and sunroof one at a time, check what the trunk locking is doing. On our 2007 EOS the center console usually 'ding's with a message if the trunk is unlocked. What is yours doing?

If you don't get success, you will have to get a dealer diagnose your problem, fix it or tell you what they think is wrong.

The trunk lock isn't hydraulic, it's an electric motor winding the catch on and off.

#33 ·
I hope somebody else can give you a quick fix. Personally, I adopt a methodical approach to a complex computer based roof control system. I use the diagnostics support the system provides to help me work out what is going right and what is going wrong and go from there. Don't be fooled assuming one owners problem is the same as yours. A roof system lockout always occurs when any one or more of several things are not right. If you search VW discussion forums you will find fault error codes posted and discussed. The EOS roof system is unique to the EOS and has its own set of diagnostic error codes. It is not perfect and idiot proof giving a fault code for every situation. However, diagnostics can tell you the status of each of the roof sensors up to the point where roof operation is stalled. Visit the Ross- Tech website to decide if your fault finding skills using diagnostics are within your competence and comfort zone.

What fault error codes is your roof system giving you? If you love your EOS, give it a treat and buy or borrow diagnostics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.