Roof Maintenance - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > Volkswagen Eos Forum > VW Eos Tech Q&A > D.I.Y. (Do It Yourself)

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:10 AM   #1
ribas1972

Default Roof Maintenance

I know that the best product for rubbers are krytox oil.
And what can I use for articulation roof parts?
Can I use silicon spray on that parts?
ribas1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2015, 03:07 PM   #2
voxmagna

I'm using a lithium based soap grease in a spray can mainly for the sunroof rails. I think you have to have the spray can with the tube attached and it needs to be gloopy to stay stuck. Some silicone sprays are just oils and you don't want them running down. My only regret is mine is white and visible, when I would have preferred black or gray, but it seems to do the job on the sunroof and the main roof hinges.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:30 PM   #3
ribas1972

http://youtu.be/0vJPKi3pI6g

In this video they use krytox for rubbers and wurth hhs2000 for metallic parts.
ribas1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:31 PM   #4
scratchedeos

I finally got some Wurth 2000 and did all the moving/sliding parts. I have previously lubricated the sunroof rails with lithium grease.

I must confess that the opening and closing process is a lot quieter. I do not think this has ever been done before even when I had the car initially serviced by the dealer. I have had the car since new and is now 9 1/2 years old and done 165,000 kms.

2007 2.0TDI 6 speed Manual Paprika Black Leather, Sat Nav,18's and Xenons Western Australia
scratchedeos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:24 PM   #5
Batjes

I am pretty sure (from forums) that the roof mechanics self (not the sliding sunshade) do not need any lubrication as specified by VW. Only in very dusty environments this may be sparingly done, indeed with the wurth hhs2000. There is a video from the Greek EOS user forum about that.

Edit: it seems that the video is not available anymore, but some pictures are shown in this lubrication guide from that club: http://www.vweos.gr/index.php/2012-0...eosroofservice
(I don't speak or read greek, but the pictures are clear to me

Last edited by Batjes; 12-13-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Batjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:14 PM   #6
scratchedeos

The video still works for me. I live in Perth, Western Australia - and it is very dry and quite dusty here so I think the Wurth spray was long overdue.

2007 2.0TDI 6 speed Manual Paprika Black Leather, Sat Nav,18's and Xenons Western Australia
Old 12-14-2016, 01:18 PM   #7
voxmagna

I tend to agree because the main roof arm conponents are moving on plated round pivot pins in plain steel holes with generous tolerances and the hydraulic rams have a lot of force. If it makes you feel good, I can't see a lithium grease lube in a spray can doing any harm, but the pins and holes are unlikely to wear out for normal roof ops and holes are not bushed to be lubricated. I can't see lubing would make much difference to the pump motor load either.

The sliding sunroof is a different matter because that is pulled by steel Bowden cables which can break and are a pain to replace. The least amount of friction on the sliding sunroof the better.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:45 PM   #8
scratchedeos

The roof operation is certainly now a lot quieter. I think the various "hooks" that move were the worst offenders. I agree about the pivots. Maybe I will do it again in another 10 years.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:52 PM   #9
Batjes

Btw, this is the meant video. I think they are using way too much krytox, five to nine drops is enough for a strip of rubber!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vJPKi3pI6g
Old 12-18-2016, 11:41 PM   #10
epr

Just out of curiosity, can you over apply and use too much krytox? I just did this krytox treatment with gpl105 off amazon and it was pretty much half what the dealer was charging to I ordered two and went through 3/4th a bottle just applying it heavily to prep for its winter storage.
epr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:08 PM   #11
Batjes

If you use too much it will just get messy and with rain even more, making a film over the body panels and glass. The residue is difficult to remove and it becomes difficult to look through the glass. There is no real damage or such, except in your wallet.
At least your rubbers are lubricated, which is essential and why you've done it in the first place. You'll get the touch of it!
Old 01-07-2017, 08:44 PM   #12
voxmagna

Quote:
Only in very dusty environments this may be sparingly done,
Hi Batjes I'll just pick up on this: When I was rebuilding my window regulators I saw a flaw in their design. When you have wires or Bowden cables being drawn into or coming from a motorized drum or winder you can easily get muck stuck to a greased wire which gets drawn in to nylon parts and starts working like grinding paste.

I can see ABS or plastic sliding surfaces will benefit some lube like Krytox, but I would be careful with wires that get pulled around nylon drums or gears. On my regulators I drilled some ptfe rod to the wire size and inserted them into the motor frame at the wire entry and exit points. These allow the wire to pull through and clean off any dirt attached to the wire before it gets to the nylon winder drum. That's why stainless steel wire is a good replacement because it doesn't need greasing to stop it corroding and needs just a spot of fine oil.

The sunroof looks as though the wire has an outer spiral forming the worm gear pulled by a gear, but the argument is still the same. I shall know more when I get inside mine for inspection and preventive maintenance.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:26 PM   #13
Batjes

You are quite right. That is a problem. I saw a number of people having problems with a lot of dirt inside the nylon gears, griding it to a halt. And you cannot buy the gears alone, juste the whole unit for nice prices (nice for the stealer).
Advertisement