Replacing Side mirror - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > VW Eos Owners Community > Regional Sections > Australia

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
Vixen182

Default Replacing Side mirror

I did something very silly...

....I forgot to fold the mirrors in before backing out of my garage and hit the side passenger mirror on the side of the garage. The folding mechanism is still ok and all the wires are still intact, however the plastic cover has broken and so has the glass. The glass has also come loose from the black plastic circle inside the mirror (however is held on by the electric wires).

Just wondering if anyone has any idea about how much this is going to cost to replace. (I'm a bit embarrassed to take it back to my dealer since it was only returned about a month ago after being severely damaged by vandals.)
Vixen182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
nail-z-gull

I dismantled my mirrors to replace the indicator lense. It's a very simple process so I would hope it isn't an expensive repair.

The glass simply 'clicks in' to the black circular piece, and the outer casing is simply held on with clips too.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
Darren
Rated EE: Eos Enthusiast

I have seen mirror glass on Ebay and also mirror covers on Ebay. Usually the mirror covers are chrome or carbon fiber and intended as "accents". In your case if the housing is cracked but would accept a cover, you may consider going this route and just worry about replacing the glass.

Shame also about the prior vandalism!

2016 Audi Q5 Premium 2.0T
Monsoon Grey Metallic with Chestnut Brown Leather and APR-93 tune

1970 Volkswagen Karmann-Ghia Pastel Blue with Black/grey interior

Previously owned from 12/2007-1/2011 a 2008 Eos Lux 2.0T Thunder Blue with Moonrock grey leather, Dynaudio, Smart-top and APR-93 tune.
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
McEos

Just had my driver side mirror replaced as I managed to smash it against a pilar in a underground garage. Had whole mirror replaced by dealer at a cost of aprox. 500 euros including labor. Painting the casing to match the body was 150 euros and I replaced the whole mirror including the base as the coating had started to peel off. Mirror 63 euros, casing 43 euros, plastic ring for the casing 10 euros, base for the mirror 132 euros, turn signal 43 euros.

There are used sets on ebay for less, but shipping and painting the cover to match bodywork would have negated much of the savings. Not to mention the fact that as I don't have garage I would have had to do the work outside in the freezing winter weather...
McEos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:21 AM   #5
neh321
Complete Carnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by McEos View Post
Just had my driver side mirror replaced as I managed to smash it against a pilar in a underground garage. Had whole mirror replaced by dealer at a cost of aprox. 500 euros including labor. Painting the casing to match the body was 150 euros and I replaced the whole mirror including the base as the coating had started to peel off. Mirror 63 euros, casing 43 euros, plastic ring for the casing 10 euros, base for the mirror 132 euros, turn signal 43 euros.

There are used sets on ebay for less, but shipping and painting the cover to match bodywork would have negated much of the savings. Not to mention the fact that as I don't have garage I would have had to do the work outside in the freezing winter weather...

I have a friend who never pays as much as that for his cars! VW sure know how to charge!
Old 02-05-2011, 12:52 AM   #6
reinaldo
Banned

Send a message via MSN to reinaldo
Default side mirror

I think I saw this type of side mirror or side window at carparts.com. I bought mine before together with this side window deflectors to be sure that my side mirror has additional cover.

Last edited by reinaldo; 02-11-2011 at 02:14 AM.
reinaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:44 PM   #7
Moonlight69

I need to replace my driver side, the whole assembly. Can someone give me instructions

Thank you
Moonlight69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:57 PM   #8
voxmagna

You will have to remove the inside door card. The mirror mount bolts are then in the top front corner and there are connectors that can be released and pushed through the metal door skin. PS: Undoing the 2 mirror fixings (bolts/nuts?) carries a high risk of dropping them into the lower bowels of the door skin. As well as the small 1/4" socket wrench I also use a magnet pickup on those as they come off. Been there and done it!

There are different mirror units, some with auto foldback motors and some without. The heated mirror glasses are replaceable but use black silicone goo, not their sticky pads. I think the outer plastic shell covers are all the same, not sure if they come primed or in your color? The covers are a real pain to get off to get inside without breaking their tabs. There's a post from me here - search.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:59 AM   #9
David44

To ease your embarrassment you could try a local body shop, phone the dealer for an estimate or take it to different VW dealership.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:17 AM   #10
scratchedeos

It is not too hard a job to do yourself - just take your time - I also have dropped a bolt down inside the door - so be very careful when extracting them!!!!

2007 2.0TDI 6 speed Manual Paprika Black Leather, Sat Nav,18's and Xenons Western Australia
scratchedeos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement