Heated Seat Faulty - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > VW Eos Owners Community > Regional Sections > U.K. > England

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:46 PM   #1
Flymo747

Default Heated Seat Faulty

My window stuck open and consequently a load of water got in and sat in the seat crevice overnight, resulting in the heating element for the seat becoming faulty, the seat back elements seem fine if a little less hot now.

The passenger side works fine, now I know the heated seats are a nice thing to have and not essential, however in our cold clime on a cold wintery morning it makes it so much more bearable.

Anyone replaced the elements, was thinking of keeping an eye out for a complete drivers side seat and swapping it over, however no too many eos's on the road. Do any other VAG seats fit in the eos, and or has anyone got any experience of replacing the elements.

Have a decent knowledge of electrics and have the tools, meters required, mine is a 2008 2.0 FSI

Thanks
Flymo747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2017, 05:25 PM   #2
voxmagna

Bad luck on the open window. Also the one's to watch are the rears. I have thought for a while this was an EOS downside that you couldn't lock the car and have all the windows and sunroof close automatically. Well there is a way: You can set coding options and have them all open or close if you hold your finger on the unlock or lock fob button. Unfortunately, that can take a while and you have to keep your finger pressed down. I'm looking into a way of automatically 'latching' the all windows and sunroof close after a couple of seconds, but there's a flaw in doing it and I need to do more thinking.

I've never had the seat heaters out, but they are available as spare parts, although on some later EOS models you have to replace the whole seat base in your color. You will have to check the parts at your local Stealer against your VIN number. The seat heaters have quite a complicated interconnection loom there being side, bottom and back pads each with their own connector. My guess would be the pads themselves are probably o.k and water has just caused high resistance at the connectors or where the wires attach to the heating element. I've never seen one but the element is probably screen printed on to mylar plastic film aka rear window glass. Fault find first with an ohm meter. If you can remove the element with a broken track it may be repairable with silver window defogger repair paint.

You could find out what current (and therefore watts) the good side pad is running at. On Ebay motorcycle adverts you can find small 12 volt heat pads for sale at around 10 watts each for 10cm square. I have some for fitting inside gloves.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:15 AM   #3
scratchedeos

We had a comfortline Golf V with leather option and I believe that the seats in my Eos - with leather option - are exactly the same. I am not sure about the mounting points.

2007 2.0TDI 6 speed Manual Paprika Black Leather, Sat Nav,18's and Xenons Western Australia
scratchedeos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:33 AM   #4
Batjes

I know that the airbag is totally different on the EOS! And that is pretty plausible
It has to cover a whole lot more as a golf on a side impact.
For that reason you can not and are not (litigation) allowed to change the seats for that type, depending on the country you live in

Last edited by Batjes; 01-05-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Batjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:19 AM   #5
Flymo747

will get the multimeter out once the weather gets better, looks like a project for the summer, thanks for the advice, seen a tutorial on how to replace elements.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #6
voxmagna

Usually airbag connectors are a bright color (purple/orange/red?) and some go to protection short circuit when the connectors are seperated. DON'T start poking into those with an ohmeter in case they don't short circuit protect the squib!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:06 PM   #7
mickjane2

You can by heated seat elements on Ebay for a reasonable price. The seats are a little bit tricky in stripping the squab but you if you are reasonable at DIY then it shouldn't be to much trouble. I seem to remember if you have rain sensitive wipers with auto headlamps then there is an option in VCDS for auto closing windows and sun roof if it rains AFAIK.

Mick
2010 EOS 2.0 tdi dsg xenons, Black leather electric seats, folding mirrors, RNS 510, 18x8j alloys, front fogs, Door projector lenses, LED footwell lights OEM Bluetooth, OEM front and rear mud flaps, Chrome mirror covers.

2010 Tiguan Match 2.0 tdi dsg
mickjane2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:12 AM   #8
Flymo747

Thanks, will get the elements from fleabay and wait for the weather to get better, just going to have to slum it with a cold seat for the rest of this winter!
Old 01-09-2017, 06:37 PM   #9
mickjane2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flymo747 View Post
Thanks, will get the elements from fleabay and wait for the weather to get better, just going to have to slum it with a cold seat for the rest of this winter!
I feel your pain lol.

Mick
2010 EOS 2.0 tdi dsg xenons, Black leather electric seats, folding mirrors, RNS 510, 18x8j alloys, front fogs, Door projector lenses, LED footwell lights OEM Bluetooth, OEM front and rear mud flaps, Chrome mirror covers.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:07 PM   #10
FSJ Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flymo747 View Post
Oh, the horror!!!! LOL!!!!

That said, I like butt warmth, too!! Ha ha!
Old Yesterday, 04:53 PM   #11
SCUBATDI

I just wish there was a heated steering wheel option. I have it on my Touareg and can't live without it!
SCUBATDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:40 AM   #12
FSJ Guy

Showoff!!

LOL!!
Old Today, 04:09 PM   #13
SCUBATDI

Hey, when it's -34C in the morning, I'll take any heat I can get!!
SCUBATDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:58 PM   #14
mickjane2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUBATDI View Post
Hey, when it's -34C in the morning, I'll take any heat I can get!!
Now that really is brass monkey weather lol.

Mick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement