wet eos boot - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > VW Eos Owners Community > Regional Sections > U.K.

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:06 PM   #1
k80

Default wet eos boot

Hi, I am an eos newbie. I recently bought a 2007 eos tdi sport and have noticed that the boot lid on the underside will condensate and the sides of the boot well carpet is damp, also the ply cover over the spare tyre was soaking. The rest of the car is dry. Has anyone el
se experienced this and did you find out into to rectify it ? Also the roof, when down squeaks, like rubber squeaking on rubber. I have read on here that a lot of you have solved it with kytrox oil, my dealer claims never to have heard the stuff, con anyone help with this Damn squeak also. Thank you
k80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2014, 06:58 AM   #2
David Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by k80 View Post
Hi, I am an eos newbie. I recently bought a 2007 eos tdi sport and have noticed that the boot lid on the underside will condensate and the sides of the boot well carpet is damp, also the ply cover over the spare tyre was soaking. The rest of the car is dry. Has anyone el
se experienced this and did you find out into to rectify it ? Also the roof, when down squeaks, like rubber squeaking on rubber. I have read on here that a lot of you have solved it with kytrox oil, my dealer claims never to have heard the stuff, con anyone help with this Damn squeak also. Thank you
Roof seals on Eos models older than 2009 have a strong tendency to leak. New seals were designed for the 2009 + models. You can have the newly engineered seals installed, except your dealer, based on what you said about them, may not even know that your Eos has "Seals" or where they are located.

Krytox is a product that VW recommends for seal leaks. In fact, it is the only product approved by VW and many other auto manufacturers. It is a Dupont product.

If your seals are not too badly damaged, Krytox may help to stop or slow down the leaks. Do a search on this site for much more info.. Simply type "Krytox".

Also, search ebay for Krytox. It is expensive but readily available.

If it is true that your VW dealer has never heard of this product, they are the most stupid and ignorant car dealership I have ever heard of. Perhaps they don't have the hundred dollars or so to keep some in stock.

Tell me, do they actually have a business telephone and something other than a canvas tent on wheels to house their cars? And, do they change addresses frequently?

I think the time has come for you to read virtually every post on this forum to learn about the Eos. It is one of the most complicated vehicles manufactured and is definitely not in the "Most Reliable Category".

However, your enjoyment can be improved and your maintenance costs reduced, if you read how to do these maintenance items for yourself and when to do them.

I really enjoy my Eos but I must be on top of the problems immediately or constantly be aware of the potential problems even though I bought mine brand new in 2009 and only have 15,000 miles on the odometer.

I truly "baby" this car because I want it to last a very, very long time.

As they say, "No rest for the wicked".

You now own a very expensive car regarding upkeep and the need for either a very large bank account or the willingness to learn, learn and some more learning. This is especially true for an older model such as yours.

I am sorry to be so brutal with this post. Just want to stress how important it is for you to get a very fast education.

Plan on about 3 hours of reading the posts of this forum that are pertinent to proper care and feeding of the Eos.

Many people read this and other forums before purchasing. I did and am very glad because it told me what to expect and what to avoid.

Good luck and let us know if you purchased the Krytox and if it helped or if you will have to spend a several hundred dollars for new seals.

By the way, make sure your roof pump never sees any water what so ever. It will then cost you far more money than you probably have. You definitely do not want a pool of water under the spare tire cover, in the tire well, which is where the pump is located.

In the mean time, it is imperative that you keep your window open to prevent mold from forming. It happens very quickly, can make you very sick and will cause a tremendous amount of damage to all of your carpeting and other cloth materials.

If you have some fans available for the interior, use them now. If your car is stored on the street or other public spaces, there isn't much you can do safely.

09 Eos/Tech Pkg/RNS510/Silver&Blk Leather Seats/Custom Flr Mats/Sherwood Dash Kit/K&N Air/Gentex HomeLink/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/SmartTOP/Auto Headlights/Full LED Interior Lights Including Foot Wells Front-Rear-Trunk/Under Seat Drawer/YellowTop Battery/R-Line Flat Bottom MFSW/Volk-L BlueTooth/Dash Cubby/Chrome Mirror-DoorHandle Covers/B U Camera/Trunk Spoiler.

2013 CC Sport Plus

Last edited by David Paul; 01-04-2014 at 07:09 AM.
David Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
k80

Thank you Paul, brutal is at least honest and much appreciated, I am reading a lot here and happy to learn, dont wish to be one of those people who just bite a finger and hope someone else posts the problem whilst getting ripped off at the same time. A question to aid my learning, is the roof pump under the rubber block at the front of the boot ?
Thank you again, got to go learn some more now, I too want it to last a very long time. :-D
k80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2014, 06:12 PM   #4
A.J.

It has been raining hard for a day or two here in the east and to-day I have noticed a damp patch on the boot (trunk) carpet and some water in the spare wheel well. I can't find any moisture on the upper surfaces of the boot (trunk) area. Inside the car is all perfectly dry.

Should I, for this particular problem, just concentrate on Krytoxing the boot seals ?. I wondered maybe that because it has been a pretty continuous downpoor whether there has been a siphoning effect and this, hopefully will be a one off.

Anyway to-morrows forecast is dry so first job in the morning, Krytox !!

VW dealers do sell the lubricant k80, it is quite expensive but is a must have. They just call it 'Special lubricant', it is in a 30ml Vial which is about the same size as a vial of tippex and it costs 38.00 !!. Although 30ml doesn't seem a very generous amount it does actually last quite a long time.
A.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
MrT

Problem is the c pillar, water get in and find its way to the boot.
If you remove all the "carpets" in the boot you'll see a hole full of water (in each side)
MrT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #6
A.J.

We VW Eos owners think we have water leak problems. You should take time out and read about the problems that Renault Megane Convertible, Peugeot 307 CC and Astra Twin top owners have. Our problems will then sink into pale insignificance !!!
Old 01-08-2014, 09:19 PM   #7
TinTop
Waiting for summer

Quote:
Hi mate, I like you have just bought a 2007 eos - and incidentally live in North Wales! The best advice I can give you with my limited experience is to get some Krytox and do the complete roof seal service with the stuff. I probably read EVERY thread on this forum (and others) while researching the Eos and and if I`ve learnt one thing it`s that 95% of roof leaks and squeaks seem to be fixable or preventable by thoroughly cleaning and lubing the seals. I bought a bottle of krytox before I owned the car!

What seems odd to me is that even though this grease is recommended in the manual (it even gives the part number), a LOT of dealers and owners have never heard of it. I have read posts in which owners have had the complete set of seals () replaced twice with no mention of krytox being applied!

Knowledge is power and a lot can be gained by researching this forum. Worked for me.

Last edited by TinTop; 01-08-2014 at 09:45 PM.
TinTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:51 PM   #8
TinTop
Waiting for summer

Quote:
A question to aid my learning, is the roof pump under the rubber block at the front of the boot ?
Also just noticed this and no-one seems to have answered, the pump is right at the back of the boot in the half circle shaped well. I believe it`s normally in a foam lined box but this is missing on mine.
TinTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:41 AM   #9
Fanmeister

Hi, I've been lurking for a year or so and have read a huge amount of info from the various areas, not least on the Seal issue. Despite the limited numbers of contributors this site has been invaluable, so thank to all concerned.

Back to the OP I am also in the North Wales area. In my experience, If you go into a dealer and ask the parts desk for Krytox, to be frank they will look blank at you, they don't use Krytox as an identifier.. "The seal lubricant for an EOS usually.." suffices and I guess it varies but my local dealer keeps it in stock and is as cheap as anywhere else I have found. (Except the occasional surplus stock sales on ebay).
Fanmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:13 PM   #10
minimarvel

The hydraulic roof pump is in the boot at the rear of the car. If your foam is missing then maybe someone removed it to dry it out (like I did) or removed it to hid evidence of a leak.

Krytox solved all my leaks bar the doors filling up. I keep my roof pump surrounded with screwed up newspaper to aid in identifying and reducing damp if my boot leak returns.
minimarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #11
A.J.

Me too minimarvel, I use a tea towel

06 2.0Tfsi Sport in Silver Essence. Pretty much as it comes except for a wind deflector. 18" Solitude wheels with Pirelli Cinturato P7's, tyres by default rather than choice, would have preferred Continentals. Now has 36k on the clock. UK Spec obviously !
Old 03-18-2014, 10:43 PM   #12
Redimps

I had the same with my first Eos and it was found to be the air vents between the rear bumper and the body that vent air from the boot. my one had a tech note to check that it had to be removed and resealed as a manufacturing process was at fault you can got the sealant from VW.

Dupont Krytox gpl 105 can be purchased in uk. I got .5 KG as I do my seals 3 monthly see below:-

www.gbrtech.co.uk
Send an email to Alan Follett - he is very helpful. his email address:
alan@gbrtech.co.uk
New Eos 2.0 Tdi sport. 2013,2014MY BMT, Salsa red, black Vienna leather, 18" vicenza alloys, CSC AUTOROOF, cruise control, RNS 510 with dab SAT NAV, winter pack, climate control 2 zone, driver alart system, under seat drawers, 5 year extended warranty.

Old Eos 2.0 Tdi sport, 2008, Silver Essence, High Spirit coth titanium black, solitude, winter, luxury packs, multifunction steering wheel, RNS 510, wind deflector, Cruise control, MMS(aux in), VW OEM Bluetooth Phone Integration.

Last edited by Redimps; 03-18-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Redimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:11 PM   #13
GW46

Think we need to buy some of this Krytox stuff....
GW46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:32 PM   #14
Ray-of-Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW46 View Post
Think we need to buy some of this Krytox stuff....
Yes it a mandatory part of owning an Eos but worth it just the same!
(MY12) 2012 2.0 TDI Exclusive DSG Rising Blue on top of the many standard UK Specification features the following options are fitted to the car: Bi-Xennons Headlights, Paddle Shift, Cruise Control, Dynaudio Sound Pack, RNS510 DVD Touch Screen Naviation/Radio System with intergrated Voice Control, Electric Front Seats with 12 way Adjustment and Easy Entry, Winter Pack & Luxury Pack.

My Additions 18" Space Saver Spare Wheel & Full Toolkit, Warning Triangle and Wind Deflector/Break.
Ray-of-Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:48 AM   #15
GW46

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray-of-Sunshine View Post
Yes it a mandatory part of owning an Eos but worth it just the same!
thanks.

Where is the best/easiest place to buy it from please?
GW46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:50 AM   #16
tub

My local VW dealer in Lindale, South Lakes, sold me a pot of Krytox for 34. My 2007 is bone dry and the rubber seals look better than new due to Krytoxing every six months (I set the date as an alarm in my phone). One really important point is never to park on any sort of slope with the front of the car pointing uphill if it looks like rain. The rubber gutter under the boot lid overflows into the boot if the car has its nose higher than its tail.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #17
huffy

Krytox and make sure none of the drain holes are blocked pay attention to the drain holes just behind the rear windows where the roof pillar is stored on both sides of the car, you can see them if you stop the roof just before it detatches from the wind shield
------------------
2008 TSI EOS SPORT with no leaks

Last edited by huffy; 07-08-2014 at 01:38 PM.
huffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement