Back From Tuner and brake feel soft - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > VW Eos Owners Community > Regional Sections > U.S.

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:28 AM   #1
Slow&Easy

Default Back From Tuner and brake feel soft

Finally got to the tuner today to have him make a few changes. Remote now opens and closes windows and sunroof. (I didn't really want to remotely put the top down so no SmartTop.) Fog lights come on with auto headlights now. Rain sensor will now close windows if car is in park and it starts raining. Nice feature but if top is down doesn't do much good. All done for free. Also had an APR Ram Air intake installed and per APR good for 20hp. As the car now sits per APR it is 275hp and 325tq.

When I first test drove it with changes I got on it hard in sport mode(with traction control on) and it spun the front tires in first and second. When it went to third pushed me back hard in seat and caused a smile ear to ear. And to make it even better there was not a hint of torque steer.

I then braked pretty hard but only once and brakes felt soft. Now brake pedal is soft and doesn't brake hard till almost touching the floor. Is it my imagination or have brakes always been like that???? Brake pedal travel seems to be about 5 or 6 inches before brakes pull it down. With car in park if I apply full brake force the pedal is only about an inch off the fire wall. Car only has 545 miles on it.

Does this seem ok or should I take it back to dealership?????

I never do anything Slow&Easy
Slow&Easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
David Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow&Easy View Post
Finally got to the tuner today to have him make a few changes. Remote now opens and closes windows and sunroof. (I didn't really want to remotely put the top down so no SmartTop.) Fog lights come on with auto headlights now. Rain sensor will now close windows if car is in park and it starts raining. Nice feature but if top is down doesn't do much good. All done for free. Also had an APR Ram Air intake installed and per APR good for 20hp. As the car now sits per APR it is 275hp and 325tq.

When I first test drove it with changes I got on it hard in sport mode(with traction control on) and it spun the front tires in first and second. When it went to third pushed me back hard in seat and caused a smile ear to ear. And to make it even better there was not a hint of torque steer.

I then braked pretty hard but only once and brakes felt soft. Now brake pedal is soft and doesn't brake hard till almost touching the floor. Is it my imagination or have brakes always been like that???? Brake pedal travel seems to be about 5 or 6 inches before brakes pull it down. With car in park if I apply full brake force the pedal is only about an inch off the fire wall. Car only has 545 miles on it.

Does this seem ok or should I take it back to dealership?????
First and foremost, what specific tune did you have done to your engine computer?

Regarding your first paragraph, glad to hear you had a VAGcom mod on your car. Those mods are really quite nice and you really lucked out with someone doing it for nothing. Most of us had to pay $249 for the RossTech equipment to accomplish the same things. Again, regarding the first paragraph.

The Ram Air is already stock in your vehicle. Actually, it is an OEM cold air intake and not actually a ram intake.

Vechicles that are not "High Performance" such as the 2.0T without a tune, do not respond to a so called "Ram Air Intake". The engine is already sucking in as much air as it possibly can. And, quitely frankly, even with a tune, a ram air doesn't make any difference.

As far as your second paragraph is concerned, my car is totally stock and I get the same results as you. All I did to mine was add a K&N air filter which I am sure did not add to my screaching tires, available at my command. I am careful with my tires because I know how much it costs to replace them.

Bottom line, as long as you are happy and can feel the difference, that's all that matters.

After all, in some cases, a vehicle, especially to a male, is a very personal extension of himself.

At least it is for me, to a very small degree.

As far as your brakes are concerned, based on your explanation, it appears that you have a serious problem and they should be attended to immediatley. Sounds like you have air in the lines or a diminishing master cylinder. This has nothing to do with any other work you have had done unless some ding bat screwed with your brake lines, which is somewhat unlikely.

Enjoy the learning experience you are undertaking. Sometimes, she can be a real butch.

09 Eos/Tech Pkg/RNS510/Silver&Blk Leather Seats/Custom Flr Mats/Sherwood Dash Kit/K&N Air/Gentex HomeLink/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/SmartTOP/Auto Headlights/Full LED Interior Lights Including Foot Wells Front-Rear-Trunk/Under Seat Drawer/YellowTop Battery/R-Line Flat Bottom MFSW/Volk-L BlueTooth/Dash Cubby/Chrome Mirror-DoorHandle Covers/B U Camera/Trunk Spoiler.

2013 CC Sport Plus

Last edited by David Paul; 08-02-2012 at 07:10 AM.
David Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:49 AM   #3
Slow&Easy

David, thanks for responding.

I have the APR Stage 1 ECU Upgrade with all features and four tunes: stock, 93 octane, 100 octane, valet. I had the stock air box taken off and it was only half cold air intake. It has two intakes one through front of car and one from engine compartment. The new intake is actually called a “Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake System Ram Air Design” and draws all air from outside the engine compartment. It includes a K&N filter. I have used the tuner for years and he claims with the ECU upgrade he has done multiple dyno pulls and it adds 20hp. I really have no idea but will take his word for it. He has tuned two Audi’s for me and this is the second VW.

As you said bottom line is if I am happy is all that matters. Sounds like you are happy with yours too so we are both good .

I do take pride in my cars but I do not consider them an “extension” of myself but rather a demonstration of pride in ownership.

And that leaves the brake issue: I took it to the dealership today and they hooked it up to their computer and found nothing wrong. I knew there was no fault code (I have a fault code reader) but they had to do their thing. I could see from some distance as they proceeded to take all four wheels off and fiddle at each wheel. They told me nothing was wrong and brakes were fine. I got in the car to test it and like a miracle I had a rock hard brake pedal again. I know they bled the brakes but don’t understand why they wouldn’t just tell me that.

Anyhow I’m happy again and thanks for the help.

I never do anything Slow&Easy

Last edited by Slow&Easy; 08-03-2012 at 02:52 AM.
Slow&Easy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
mickjane2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow&Easy View Post
David, thanks for responding.

I have the APR Stage 1 ECU Upgrade with all features and four tunes: stock, 93 octane, 100 octane, valet. I had the stock air box taken off and it was only half cold air intake. It has two intakes one through front of car and one from engine compartment. The new intake is actually called a “Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake System Ram Air Design” and draws all air from outside the engine compartment. It includes a K&N filter. I have used the tuner for years and he claims with the ECU upgrade he has done multiple dyno pulls and it adds 20hp. I really have no idea but will take his word for it. He has tuned two Audi’s for me and this is the second VW.

As you said bottom line is if I am happy is all that matters. Sounds like you are happy with yours too so we are both good
I do take pride in my cars but I do not consider them an “extension” of myself but rather a demonstration of pride in ownership.

And that leaves the brake issue: I took it to the dealership today and they hooked it up to their computer and found nothing wrong. I knew there was no fault code (I have a fault code reader) but they had to do their thing. I could see from some distance as they proceeded to take all four wheels off and fiddle at each wheel. They told me nothing was wrong and brakes were fine. I got in the car to test it and like a miracle I had a rock hard brake pedal again. I know they bled the brakes but don’t understand why they wouldn’t just tell me that.

Anyhow I’m happy again and thanks for the help.
After 42 years as a motor vehicle technician i know that air doesn't get into the brake hydraulics by itself, there was either a brake fault or someone hasn't been doing their job properly. Mick
2010 EOS 2.0 tdi dsg xenons, Black leather electric seats, folding mirrors, RNS 510, 18x8j alloys, front fogs, Door projector lenses, LED footwell lights OEM Bluetooth, OEM front and rear mud flaps, Chrome mirror covers.Sport pedals and dead pedal, led mirror puddle lights and front side lights

2010 Tiguan Match 2.0 tdi dsg
mickjane2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:18 AM   #5
1texansfan1
Texans fan

I would tend to agree that the stock intake is more than enough even for 'tuned ' cars. I tried it on my tuned 1.8t with stock vs CAI vs no filter with no real HP gain. There IS a different 'sound" and that can be a plus or minus. (my wife made me sell my 1.8t due to noise ) The biggest gain - after a tune is downpipe and exhaust... still no difference in HP w different intakes.
Buy one because ya like the sound.
Have fun-
it is only money-and it will buy things that will make you happy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement