drivers door blown in wind - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > VW Eos Owners Community > Regional Sections > U.K.

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:14 PM   #1
busy

Default drivers door blown in wind

well bugger. parked up opened the door and boom wind took it.. I grabbed the interior handle only to have it remain in my hand. now door wont shut and I cant see why. It closes when you lift but theres no clunking when its lifted.. I wonder is there a shear pin or something inside that needs replacing. any help appreciated
busy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2016, 10:55 AM   #2
Batjes

It sounds like you really do need something changed. But it is difficult to say what just on your words. Could you take pictures about the door hinges? And of course other visible damag...
Batjes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:22 PM   #3
paulg
2012 EOS Highline

Just a guess... but
check the bottom part of the door. There's a piece that inserts into the door sill. That could be out of line and thats why the door only closes when you lift.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:45 PM   #4
voxmagna

I think it might be worth talking to a body repair shop first. A door is a door, but how true now is the vertical section carrying the hinges? You need to worry about getting the door to sit square against the frame seal, all the shut gaps correct and more important, the top glass edge sitting perfectly against the roof seal. If it doesn't you will get tonnes of water coming off the roof spilling inside.

I always worry about 2 door cars because they present a very large surface area to wind. Normally you would expect the metal restraint strap to hold the door, but once a door starts opening with wind behind it, there is a heavy mass to stop. Did your restraint stay together or break?

That metal stub at the bottom of the door is for side impact protection and is a substantial piece of steel. If that doesn't align with the slot in the cill your hinges or the vertical support pillar are probably out of true.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:33 PM   #5
busy

Well Thanks for replies, I managed to have a look for the first time today, no obvious damage so got the Mrs to lift up on door handle and it all became apparent, Hard to see but managed to see the pin in the top hinge was over further and moved back when she lifted the door this needed 2 people as I couldnt see doing it by myself. literally a few mm on the hinge and door wont close. Have to buy a whole new hinge as pin is not available, I will try to see if the pin is transferable as the new hinge needs painting and report back.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:37 PM   #6
busy

forgot to say paint and hinge less than 30 and Voxmagna, there is no strap on my eos doors

Last edited by busy; 02-22-2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:04 AM   #7
voxmagna

Exclamation Agree, no restraints on the EOS doors.

I compared MY07 EOS doors with our cheap Skoda. As you say there is no metal folding restraining strap, which is unusual for large heavy doors on a 2 door car.

I think your bad experience is a warning to everybody that a strong gust of wind on a part open EOS door can force it open and cause damage. Another potential safety issue is whilst parked on the emergency hard shoulder on a windy day when lorries are whizzing past should you open the driver door.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement