Roof Rattling - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > Volkswagen Eos Forum > VW Eos Tech Q&A

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:31 AM   #1
Scarvo

Default Roof Rattling

Hi, I have this uncomfortable and annoying roof rattle in my EOS, things sound loose in there...is this normal or something needs to be replaced? I took to the dealer more than once but they keep telling me that its normal.
Scarvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
toureos

There have been quite a few mentions of this in the past. My Eos used to make an ocassional knocking sound over certain bumps. The thread at http://www.vweosclub.com/forums/show...ht=roof+rattle shows what some members have found.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
akselsoft

Unfortunately, it typically is part of the "experience". There may be some loose pieces as per the thread noted by toureos.
akselsoft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
heidi0531

Angry roof rattle annoying!!!

...having exactly the same problem...warranty has just expired on my 2009 model - dealer says VW is well aware of the problem, but to fix it they have to take the roof apart - 15 hours labor!! It appears to me that in this case VW could extend the warranty - things being as they are, I guess we'll have to live with it.....
heidi0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
audionut

My solution is so simple and effective. Bought a Selleys multipurpose lubricant spray with a long straw attached on the head. Spray all the joints at 2 corners left and right of the roof (with rear windshield up). Spray to any possible joint I could see see with help from the straw to reach far inside the panel.

My car is now dead quiet for over 2 months... no squeaking, cracking no matter what condition of the streets are.

The cracking noise is from the metal joint drying out in my case, not a plastic thing so may be the same with you as well.

Make sure you leave the car with a lot of ventilation and windows down would help the smell gone quicker after spray.

Also, I park the car in the shade most of the time so not sure how long it would last if parking under the sun though, before the lubricant dries out again.
audionut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:54 PM   #6
andrew-r

Thumbs up Fixed rattle

Recently bought a 2007 TDI. Roof down no rattles. Roof up nasty metal on metal rattles, left and right, on minor road bumps. I had been through all the suggested fixes including shim removal with no effect. Also someone else had been stuffing around the left side adjusting the stops etc.
I was about to give up when I noticed a very small movement between the side arms and the fixed panel of the main roof section. With the roof half down (struts roughly vertical) I was able to use an 'L' shaped T30 torx spanner to tighten both the left and right screws securing the centre panel. They were loose by more than 1/4 turn!
Rattles gone!
andrew-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:05 PM   #7
scratchedeos

Would you be able to take a picture of the area where the bolts are?

I might check mine.

Thanking you in anticipation.

2007 2.0TDI 6 speed Manual Paprika Black Leather, Sat Nav,18's and Xenons Western Australia
scratchedeos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:18 AM   #8
andrew-r

Photo is the T30 key inserted up into the driver side nut
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T30roofBolt.jpg (80.3 KB, 40 views)
Old 01-05-2017, 08:40 AM   #9
Batjes

Good job and safes a lot in your pocket, the steeler would have wanted quite a lot for that!
Old 01-05-2017, 09:30 AM   #10
voxmagna

Quote:
I was able to use an 'L' shaped T30 torx spanner to tighten both the left and right screws securing the centre panel. They were loose by more than 1/4 turn!
Rattles gone!
Good find! But rattles and loose screws have a habit of coming back. I would have considered Loctite? When I get my roof lining trim off I will have a look for those and Loctite them. In fact, I'll look at all the screws up there I can find.

Ah, I see from the photo it is a bolt with a shoulder and spring and the bolt should be fastened hard down to the shoulder. They always work loose unless there is a shakeproof washer behind the shoulder or the threads have threadlock on them. I'll look up the torx head bolt but many VW bolts (not the HT bolts) come with their so called 'use once buy more from us spec. They have a blue coating when new which is a threadlock. If this is a common problem they will be issuing a TB fix to replace the bolts. You can do a cheaper better job with blue non-setting Loctite. Or if you are really pushed, a drop of Superglue.

Last edited by voxmagna; 01-05-2017 at 09:39 AM.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:06 PM   #11
andrew-r

Agree about the Loctite.
I have since found these 2 bolts are very easily accessible from inside the boot when the roof is down (saves the 8 min panic). So no need to remove the roof lining!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement