Looking to buy 2009 Eos Lux - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > VW Eos Owners Community > Regional Sections > U.S.

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
JulieandJames

Default Looking to buy 2009 Eos Lux

New to the group,
Girlfriend and I are looking to purchase 2009 Eos Lux in St Louis area. Any issues we should be concerned with? I have heard of transmission problems? Any advise or information would be greatly appreciated please.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Julie and James
JulieandJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
Lucid Nonsense
Save the manuals!

Regarding the DSG transmission, I'd make darned sure any Eos you're thinking of buying is still under warranty. Most owners have no problems at all, but if you do and your car is out of warranty, repairs could be serious $$$. You can do an internet search yourself, but I found a decent overview here http://www.autoinsane.com/2009/08/28...sg-complaints/. Key thing is that in the U.S. VW extended the warranty to 10yr/100K miles for the DSG, at least for certain model years. I believe 2009 is included.

Be aware that there's a 40K mile interval fluid change on the DSG. It's several hundred dollars and not part of the original 3yr/36K "Carefree Maintenance" program. If a used Eos has over 40K miles, I'd want documentation that this had been performed, lest VW blame any later DSG woes on the lack of a fluid change.

There were a couple of issues with the DSG. Initially there was a temperature sensor problem, which would cause the car to go into to limp mode because the computer mistakenly thought the DSG was overheating. There were also problems with the "mechatronic" unit within the transmission. There have been software updates to the DSG to improve drivability; a dealer would be able to tell you if your car has the most up-to-date version.

The DSG issues aren't particular to the Eos, as the transmission is used widely across the VW product line. If you're certain a particular Eos has been properly maintained & still under warranty, be sure to drive it around a while to get a feel for the DSG. The transmission behaves differently from a regular automatic, but apparently you get used to it.

You may also read about Eos roof leaks, which seem more prevalent in the earlier model years. I think VW made some minor adjustments to seal designs by the time 2009 rolled around. No matter what year you buy, make sure the seals are in good shape. To supplement what's in the owner's manual, there's a thorough description on proper lubrication of the seals on this page on the VWVortex site:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Eos-Roof-leaks (There's a link down at the bottom to a PDF version w/pictures). I lube the seals on our '09 Eos a couple times per year, and we've had no leak issues. Use the specified VW lubricant (or the equivalent Dupont Krytox). Do not use silicone, Armor All, or any other concoction.

It would be wise to take any potential Eos by a dealer or a reputable independent VW mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection, to have the brakes, cooling system, suspension, etc. checked out.

Hopefully I haven't scared you away - my wife and I really enjoy our Eos, and it's been trouble-free.

Last edited by Lucid Nonsense; 02-08-2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Typo
Lucid Nonsense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
JulieandJames

Thank you so much for the feedback! The vehicle is listed as certified from a VW dealer but we will be sure to have those things mentioned checked out. Thanks again for the quick response and feel free to share more info as you think of it.
JulieandJames is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
David Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieandJames View Post
Thank you so much for the feedback! The vehicle is listed as certified from a VW dealer but we will be sure to have those things mentioned checked out. Thanks again for the quick response and feel free to share more info as you think of it.
Welcome, Julie and James.

Based on what Lucid Nonsense just told you, the both of you are in for a real treat. Just be sure to follow his advice.

Now, just go WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! and hang on.

09 Eos/Tech Pkg/RNS510/Silver&Blk Leather Seats/Custom Flr Mats/Sherwood Dash Kit/K&N Air/Gentex HomeLink/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/SmartTOP/Auto Headlights/Full LED Interior Lights Including Foot Wells Front-Rear-Trunk/Under Seat Drawer/YellowTop Battery/R-Line Flat Bottom MFSW/Volk-L BlueTooth/Dash Cubby/Chrome Mirror-DoorHandle Covers/B U Camera/Trunk Spoiler.

2013 CC Sport Plus
David Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
garner49

We bought an '09 back in May with only 26k miles - now has 35k. Had to replace the original battery in October; but otherwise, we really like the car. Seeing 32mpg on the road and 25 around town - last trip gave us 35.1.
Advertisement