windows stuck halfway up! - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > VW Eos Owners Community > Regional Sections > U.K.

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:07 AM   #1
meadsey

Unhappy windows stuck halfway up!

Just to let you all know - both driverside and passenger side windows stopped working on my 2007 eos.
New window lifters fitted at a cost of 434.

great............................................. ......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2014, 02:39 AM   #2
Doug360

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadsey View Post
Just to let you all know - both driverside and passenger side windows stopped working on my 2007 eos.

OUCH!! I feel for you! However, why would they both go at the same time? Too much of a coincidence for me. Me thinks you got took!!!
2010 Komfort, Shadow blue with cornsilk interior, Sport Package, 18" Voxx wheels with Pirelli tires for summer, 18" factory wheels with Blizzak tires for winter, rear camera, GPS, Bluetooth, Ipod audio system, Weather Tech moulded floor mats for winter, rear factory splash guards, sun visor garage door opener.
Doug360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:14 AM   #3
David Paul

Quote:

Like Doug360 said, I think you got taken also.

Did you try the "Relearning" process with the windows?

Had the battery been disconnected for a while just before the windows stopped working properly?

Is your battery old and nearing its end time?

Perhaps it isn't too late to get your money back.

09 Eos/Tech Pkg/RNS510/Silver&Blk Leather Seats/Custom Flr Mats/Sherwood Dash Kit/K&N Air/Gentex HomeLink/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/SmartTOP/Auto Headlights/Full LED Interior Lights Including Foot Wells Front-Rear-Trunk/Under Seat Drawer/YellowTop Battery/R-Line Flat Bottom MFSW/Volk-L BlueTooth/Dash Cubby/Chrome Mirror-DoorHandle Covers/B U Camera/Trunk Spoiler.

2013 CC Sport Plus
David Paul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
meadsey

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Paul View Post
Like Doug360 said, I think you got taken also.

Did you try the "Relearning" process with the windows?

Had the battery been disconnected for a while just before the windows stopped working properly?

Is your battery old and nearing its end time?

Perhaps it isn't too late to get your money back.
No mate. The passenger side window had been sticking for some time, and had trouble from time to time with the driver side. You can tell the difference now both replaced. They are smooth and shoot up and down now compared to before. I already tried all the resets etc.
Incidentley there is another post on here somewhere where both windows went at almost the same time.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #5
Doug360

Quote:
No mate. The passenger side window had been sticking for some time, and had trouble from time to time with the driver side. You can tell the difference now both replaced. They are smooth and shoot up and down now compared to before. I already tried all the resets etc.
Incidentley there is another post on here somewhere where both windows went at almost the same time.
Glad to hear the money wasn't for nothing. A little context helped!
2010 Komfort, Shadow blue with cornsilk interior, Sport Package, 18" Voxx wheels with Pirelli tires for summer, 18" factory wheels with Blizzak tires for winter, rear camera, GPS, Bluetooth, Ipod audio system, Weather Tech moulded floor mats for winter, rear factory splash guards, sun visor garage door opener.
Doug360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:50 PM   #6
David Paul

Quote:
All's well that ends well.

09 Eos/Tech Pkg/RNS510/Silver&Blk Leather Seats/Custom Flr Mats/Sherwood Dash Kit/K&N Air/Gentex HomeLink/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/SmartTOP/Auto Headlights/Full LED Interior Lights Including Foot Wells Front-Rear-Trunk/Under Seat Drawer/YellowTop Battery/R-Line Flat Bottom MFSW/Volk-L BlueTooth/Dash Cubby/Chrome Mirror-DoorHandle Covers/B U Camera/Trunk Spoiler.

2013 CC Sport Plus
David Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #7
LateBar
Platinum member

The window regulators going after 6 or 7 years isn't unusual, I suppose because they are worked every time the car is unlocked and with windows drop to open.
I had my passenger one replaced recently, you may have seen my post, at Cayman Autos, Dorking, Surrey.
It was a similar cost, as it's 3 or 4 hours labour.
LateBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:06 AM   #8
voxmagna

Actually they fail sooner if your EOS roof works like mine (but some are different).

When the roof is lowered, my EOS roof cycle finishes with the window glasses raising which we would then lower on a sunny day. There are more window up down operations per roof cycle, whereas in most saloon cars the driver side window gets most use and passenger windows the least.

It is not the short distance dropping that puts strain and wear on the (standard design) lifter but the increase in full cycles. You will find that once the driver side fails, the passenger side will fail soon after because both window regulators are getting about the same use. Failure is usually a breakdown of the wire which loses tensile strength. Part of the problem is the outer door wiping seals are poor allowing water off the roof to pour inside the hollow door cavities and out through the bottom door drains. If you have wondered why there are wet patches on your driveway just in front or behind the door, that is the reason.

When you pay all that money to have the window regulators replaced, you should get them to check the external door glass wiper seals and stop them leaking water inside the doors.

I don't think VW appreciated that the standard regulator design tested for life cycle and reliability, would have reduced life when put in the EOS and linked to roof operation.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement