I Just fitted cruise control 20! - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > VW Eos Owners Community > Regional Sections > U.K.

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
Slabgood

Default I Just fitted cruise control 20!

I'm surprised it worked! Ordered stalk from flea-bay-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1911407311...84.m1497.l2649

Replaced stalk (was a bit tricky getting the old stalk out, but not too bad).

VCDS Changed stalk code and engine code.

Done, working cruise control for 20!!

(Actually is was 30, I had to buy an M12 spline socket for the steering wheel!)
Slabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
jjsyht

May be a stupid question but I'll ask anyway.
Do you have to have an auto gearbox for that to work?
Old 07-11-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
Slabgood

That's not a stupid question, mines a manual so no!

Old 07-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #4
David44

Cruise disengages when you press the clutch.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:16 PM   #5
A.J.

Or brake pedal hopefully !!

06 2.0Tfsi Sport in Silver Essence. Pretty much as it comes except for a wind deflector. 18" Solitude wheels with Pirelli Cinturato P7's, tyres by default rather than choice, would have preferred Continentals. Now has 36k on the clock. UK Spec obviously !
A.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:13 PM   #6
voxmagna

Our EOS is a 2007 Sport Tdi. When I read about this on the Ross-Tech site there was something about having the later version of a Canbus control module which added on to the price.

How about giving us (me) a step by step of your procedure including the VCDS adaptation? It doesn't do it by itself so that procedure would be helpful. It is the one thing we could find useful with all these average speed cam roadworks sections in U.K.

Our TDi Sport is pretty minimal on features. We do not have the MF steering wheel or fancy center console display either. Is that the same as yours, or are they needed for the cruise option?

I see there's a little wait for it to come from China. What was the quality like and did it match the color of the other stalks?

Ah! Steering wheel removal with airbag (boom!) and associated trim. We definitely need your write up, even if it is from memory and a photo of the finished job would get attention.

Last edited by voxmagna; 07-14-2014 at 07:21 PM.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:37 PM   #7
Slabgood

Okay from memory-

1 Disconnect battery - Duh!
2 Remove air bag - Turn steering wheel 90 degrees, use a mirror and use a flat head screwdriver to un-hook as you gently pull the bag, turn wheel 180 degrees and do the same the other side, disconnect air bag. (I you-tubed how to do this, much easier using a mirror!)
3 Remove steering wheel by undoing the M12 spline (Had to buy one)
4 Remove trim around stalks, the top pops off and out, two screws at the front and one underneath. (I Broke a clip and had to glue it back in)
5 Un-clip and remove the air bag spring disc thing by unclipping the two clips at the top.
6 Pull the steering wheel positioning thing out from the bottom of the steering column
7 Unclip the circuit board box from the bottom - Screw at the front, Really hard, clip at the back and one in the centre you can't see. (You tubed again, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEGCgPimxl8 )
8 Unclip the stalk from the back, pry out with a screwdriver and it should fly out into your face at speed....mine did anyway!
9 Clip in new cruise control stalk and put everything back together in reverse order.

VCDS Was the easy bit, in the steering wheel module change the wheel type to yours with cruise control, go into engine module and enable cruise control.

Took about 45 minutes all in, including googling when I got stuck!

Mine is a 2006 TSFI, quite a basic module but does have the multi-function display showing mpg and miles to fill up on the dash, no multi-function steering wheel.

The quality of the stalk looks OEM, looks like genuine chinese VAG from the box! Thought it was a bit clicky until I fitted it and was fine, colour also matched fine to my old one.

I didn't really know if it was going to work, also read that older models may need a wire to the ECU and control module might need replacing but for 20 thought it was worth a punt! Took about a week to arrive if I remember rightly....

I also initially thought I had failed not realising you had to hold the button for a second or so to engage cruise control!
Old 07-14-2014, 10:04 PM   #8
voxmagna

Thanks, that is pretty helpful. trims are always a problem if you do not know how to remove them.

My center console display seems like yours - mpg, no. of miles left etc. But some have a lot more features so that should be o.k.

I think my issue may be the control module but the car is 2007 and a year newer than yours, although diesel. I'll order up a stalk and give it a try. If it doesn't work, then I know that may have to be my next step.

If I get probs I might PM you to compare CAN module codes if that's o.k.

Seems like YouTube is a good resource, but two links I looked at talk about an extra wire being added and removing the wiper motor to access connectors to get it into the control box behind the wiper blades.

Did you check your connector in the column to see if it had the wire to pin 13 already fitted? If it is not present in the shell then there is a problem because there is no link to the ECU, stop and go no further.

Cheapest solution is to try and buy the VW male and female pins to crimp to your own wire (know a source?). Expensive is to buy a ready made wire for around 15!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuZXi3VFKcg

Thanks for posting - Vox

Last edited by voxmagna; 07-14-2014 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 07-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #9
Slabgood

Well I was going to check the wire but forgot! I guess it's there as it's working, I don't see any reason a newer car wouldn't have it. Which part of Hampshire are you, I'm in Reading if you want moral support!
Old 07-15-2014, 10:40 PM   #10
voxmagna

Thanks, I've worked out my strategy:

1. Stalk arrives in several days, maybe a month if on the slowboat.

2. Ordered some tab and female connectors from RS I think are correct just in case (but many to choose from!).

3. Pull apart the steering wheel & controls, then check if that wire is in the connector or not.

4. If yes, yippee like yours, button it up and see what VAGCOM will do.

5. If no hope connector pins I got are correct and fit.

6. Button up steering + trim and pray VAGCOM will do its stuff.

7. If no and problems with my CAN module, leave that for another day/another later version module. Actually, the module can have its firmware updated, but probably still cheaper to pick one up off Fleabay than grovel to the Stealer to flash mine.

I'll PM you if I get stuck!

Thanks - Vox
Old 08-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #11
Slabgood

Did it work?
Old 08-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #12
voxmagna

I have the new stalk now, it's been too hot to get it fitted. Hope to do it this week or next, as long as Bertha doesn't drop a tree down on the car!
Old 08-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #13
voxmagna

Default I just fitted Cruise for 18 in a morning!!

O.K Mine is fitted and all working now. Slabgood did a good memory write up and I shall add to that below with some photos filling in areas of potential difficulty.

On my EOS the VW steering wheel and column marks were a couple of splines away from being inline. This is because some monkey did the tracking at some time and corrected a steering wheel position error at the wheel instead of getting it right and balanced at the track control arms. When you remove the M12 spline steering nut, check your wheel position first 'as found'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuZXi3VFKcg

Make a copy of the above vid for your laptop hard drive and run from the passenger seat. There is no need to remove the driver seat.

1. Before disconnecting battery (negative lead) prepare for it! Get your radio code. If car is being worked on outside, drop front windows an inch and have a half top cover ready for rain. If being worked on inside a garage, then drop the windows BEFORE disconnecting the battery. If your window glass heights are correct you can just about avoid dropping the windows to clear the top seal if you gently massage them from front to rear with a slight leaning downwards on the door handle when opening and closing doors.

2. Set the front wheels straight ahead, the steering wheel should be set straight with its spoke vertically downwards.

3. To work on the steering wheel parts, extend it forwards and down to give best clearance at the back to access the two airbag clips.

4. Removing the TOP clam shell steering column trim when steering wheel removed: Prise up under the horizontal trim joins facing you. There are two strong spring female clip sockets in the top half of the shell. Before replacing the top shell, coat the female and male clip parts with silicone grease. The lower half of the shroud is held by 2 screws straight in front, 1 screw half way down and both screws holding the black plastic column adjuster. The adjuster will have to be pushed down to allow room for the steering wheel controller box to be removed.

5. My steering wheel controller box was fixed with one screw (in front) and no hidden clip to remove.

6. Removing the old stalk: This slides forwards towards you and is held by TWO clips. One is on the left side and easy to see and gently lift with the 7mm screwdriver blade. The second clip is down inside the slot partly covered over by the white sprung peg. Push a 1mm feeler gauge down inside the slot whilst releasing the left clip and pull the stalk towards you.

7. Steering controller box connector. My 2007 EOS Tdi was already wired with a wire to pin 13 (see photo) therefore no extra work to do.

8. When all back together, replace negative battery lead. Turn on ignition. there will be several warning lamps lit. One touch operation of windows will have been lost, so reset those, also the radio code if yours is coded. Then drive the car a short distance and ensure all the warning lamps have gone out. Now you are ready to recode with VCDS i.e tell the car it now has cruise control.

9. Use VCDS to access the steering wheel controller module 16. If you have a genuine VCDS with the correct label files for your controllers, it will show you a list of coding options which include cruise control system. For my EOS Sport TDi the default code was 0000011 and this was changed to 0000041.

10. Use VCDS to access the engine module 11 which is Coding II-11. Select the correct code option for your steering wheel type and with cruise enabled. My default was 00000 and this was changed to 11463.

11. After recoding, turn key off, back on and run the car. Then clear all DTC's and Autoscan for faults. You may need to do this a couple of times. But you should end up with no faults (particularly the steering and engine modules.)

12. Now switch on cruise at the switch and a round green clock icon should appear on the right of your speedometer display.

13. Refer to the attached manual guidance on cruise control and go try it out.

Happy Cruising !

Now here is a question for somebody. Never having used cruise control I was expecting to see a display of speed set in front of me as I operated the UP and DOWN switch on the stalk. There is no display, so I take my foot off the gas pedal with cruise switched on and speed drops to some value. Then I click on the up button (foot still off) and can see the speedo increasing to my set speed and holding pretty well.

Those of you with cruise, MF steering wheels (mine is not) or more sophistocated displays, please tell me if you get a display of set speed from your cruise control. Now I have done this I might look at modding for the MF display with the steering controls if I can find a wheel and controller for a good price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Airbag release clips.jpg (160.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg locktited wheel bolt 50Nm torque use 5X.jpg (172.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Steering controller plug wiring.jpg (147.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Wheel starting position to release airbag clips.jpg (177.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Wheel_Column alignment.jpg (155.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Instructions 1 of 2.jpg (190.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Instructions 2 of 2.jpg (156.4 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by voxmagna; 08-21-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:39 PM   #14
Slabgood

Excellent!
Old 02-27-2015, 04:36 PM   #15
Tiguan20

Default I tried fitting mine , it has a switch on and off on top of stalk but when turned on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabgood View Post
Okay from memory-

1 Disconnect battery - Duh!
2 Remove air bag - Turn steering wheel 90 degrees, use a mirror and use a flat head screwdriver to un-hook as you gently pull the bag, turn wheel 180 degrees and do the same the other side, disconnect air bag. (I you-tubed how to do this, much easier using a mirror!)
3 Remove steering wheel by undoing the M12 spline (Had to buy one)
4 Remove trim around stalks, the top pops off and out, two screws at the front and one underneath. (I Broke a clip and had to glue it back in)
5 Un-clip and remove the air bag spring disc thing by unclipping the two clips at the top.
6 Pull the steering wheel positioning thing out from the bottom of the steering column
7 Unclip the circuit board box from the bottom - Screw at the front, Really hard, clip at the back and one in the centre you can't see. (You tubed again, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEGCgPimxl8 )
8 Unclip the stalk from the back, pry out with a screwdriver and it should fly out into your face at speed....mine did anyway!
9 Clip in new cruise control stalk and put everything back together in reverse order.

VCDS Was the easy bit, in the steering wheel module change the wheel type to yours with cruise control, go into engine module and enable cruise control.

Took about 45 minutes all in, including googling when I got stuck!

Mine is a 2006 TSFI, quite a basic module but does have the multi-function display showing mpg and miles to fill up on the dash, no multi-function steering wheel.

The quality of the stalk looks OEM, looks like genuine chinese VAG from the box! Thought it was a bit clicky until I fitted it and was fine, colour also matched fine to my old one.

I didn't really know if it was going to work, also read that older models may need a wire to the ECU and control module might need replacing but for 20 thought it was worth a punt! Took about a week to arrive if I remember rightly....

I also initially thought I had failed not realising you had to hold the button for a second or so to engage cruise control!
Is the switch not a on off on top of indacator stalk .
Old 03-03-2015, 07:35 PM   #16
Tvw

If you lived nearer I'd offer you money to come and do it for me when I buy an EOS.

Definitely looks out of my skill level
Tvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:45 PM   #17
m0rph

this is a fairly easy job guys. defo worth a diy
m0rph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:36 AM   #18
voxmagna

The information here has been based on others doing Golfs, Passats and the earlier vags. Cruise is talking directly to your ECU and you need to do it right with the correct part. Once you move to newer vag models and configurations you need to do more model specific research and might be first to do it!

A dealer should be able to give you VW part numbers (and prices!) that match to your VIN. Then you can search to find a cheaper seller and new fitting instructions. I would be nervous posting a part number for a vehicle I don't have, but sellers of cruise stalks usually know what is required.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:40 AM   #19
Shaunyc

Jst looking into fitting cruise control to my 07tdi.. Got a stalk on the way.. But jst to clarify.. Once i get the stalk swapped over it needs to be codded with ross tech vcds? Cos that clearly bumbs the price up from 20quid jobbie or is poss with vagcom code reader i have?
Shaunyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:22 PM   #20
voxmagna

You need vcds/vagcom to recode and check functionality. You cannot do any mods without it. Even if it wasn't required, you would be stupid and taking risks if you did not scan for faults before and after making any changes. I always reach for diagnostics first before a wrench. I'm afraid all modern cars are like this now. Welcome to the Brave New World.

If you are uneasy using diagnostics to scan and recode a module, then consider having the cruise control option fitted by a dealer or independent VW shop?
Old 03-17-2016, 06:42 PM   #21
voxmagna

Quote:
Is the switch not a on off on top of indicator stalk
There should most definitely be a switch. When turned on a small green 'clock' appears on the MF display. This lets you know early on that your cruise install and adaptation is likely to work. I can't see anything wrong keeping it active, because you still have to hit the stalk buttons for cruise to do anything. If 'occasional' second drivers are likely to get confused by the green symbol and can't be bothered to read the manual, I sometimes turn it off.

I use mine a lot now. It seems to improve long journey mpg and is really useful for speed limits along roadworks, although I always set mine to satnav speed which is a shade higher than indicated speedo speed. With our congested roads I tend to set the cruise to slightly lower than other vehicle average speed, using it as the fallback speed. It would be nice if they could have fitted a simple cancel push button on the stalk which would save me flashing the brake light to do it or using the clutch. I've been surprised how well the Tdi can maintain its set speeds.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:03 PM   #22
Andy tsi eos

Hi there

It does have a cancel 'button'. You just flick it to the middle, between on and off.

It will return to the'on' side of the switch if you don't push it over to far.

Hth
2.0 TDI Sport 2007.5. Black with red leather. Cruise Control. Wind Deflector. RNS310 GPS Radio running Version 7 maps. Warning Triangle. Mtec cross drilled front discs. Hankook K120 tyres all round. Fully refurbished Solitude 17" alloys. LED licence plate lights. LED side lights.
Andy tsi eos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:34 PM   #23
voxmagna

Thanks Andy I'll try it. I do find cancelling a frequent operation and a simple push is easier for me to manage than a slide. But I take your point and I'll see how I get on with the slide switch. Having never had or used cruise on previous cars, I did find it a bit scary at first, but even on short road sections I'm now a lot more confident. I wish my mfd could be more helpful and show the preset speed before activation. But then for something I never had before, it is pretty damn useful.

I good test for UK drivers heading towards Oxford is roadworks (with birds of prey cameras!) that start from a 50mph speed limit, dropping to 40mph then 30 mph. I think I want to emigrate to Australia (or Scotland!) for a better life where there is more space!
Old 03-17-2016, 11:42 PM   #24
Shaunyc

Thanx vox will search for someone who can recode in the area or maybe splurge on a cheap clone ughugh jst for this job only..
Only used my reader for resetting service intervals oh and my air bag light when i removed the seat to try sneak through a mot while i was waiting for a seat belt buckle.. So will check for codes before doing the job at least
Shaunyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:26 AM   #25
Uncle David

Default Added Cruise Control

Yep....another one. Just added it this morning. I used a genuine VW cruise control kit for my 2008 EOS TDI Auto. The car has MFD and steering wheel controls plus paddles. I only used the kit since I spotted it on fleabay and it was GBP 55.00 which I thought was rather a bargain. Comes with detailed instructions, tie wraps, the special wire with terminations (I didn't need) plus retrofit stickers in several languages.

Overall, with Voxmagna's post above and the video link, (Many thanks!) I managed to do it in a little over two hours.(mainly due to faffing about finding tools). The airbag is a bit awkward to get off and I think I may well look into bending a flat blade screwdriver in the future (as per the video) It's easy to scratch your instrument cluster plastic if you're not careful. Coding took a couple of attempts as I initially selected the wrong code. Anyhow, job done and works a treat! Happy days!

For reference above, mine doesn't show the speed set in the MFD either.
Uncle David is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement