Street not found - who are NAVTEC? - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > VW Eos Owners Community > Regional Sections > U.K.

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:40 PM   #1
Brownape

Default Street not found - who are NAVTEC?

Hey,

So i still have the old sat nav with 5 digit postcode search and the 2014 DVD.

I enter my first 5 digits and it lists all the street names assocaited with that postcode - except about 15 streets in the village where i live. (about 40 years old)

So i called VW CS and they suggested i need to contact NAVTEC as they supply the data etc etc.

So called Navtec (Here) and they say they don't support the Eos at all???

Can anyone help?
Brownape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2015, 03:53 PM   #2
Andy tsi eos

Hi there

Which head unit do you have? See this site for the different models. http://www.satnavdvd.co.uk/volkswagen-43-c.asp

Sounds like you might not have the latest software (firmware) loaded, which might be affecting the reading of the map data.

Hth
2.0 TDI Sport 2007.5. Black with red leather. Cruise Control. Wind Deflector. RNS310 GPS Radio running Version 7 maps. Warning Triangle. Mtec cross drilled front discs. Hankook K120 tyres all round. Fully refurbished Solitude 17" alloys. LED licence plate lights. LED side lights.
Andy tsi eos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:04 PM   #3
Brownape

yeah i have the MFD 2 version and that disc. i will try and flash it when i downlaod the latest version (still 50?) not that i know which version my unit has

Last edited by Brownape; 03-09-2015 at 04:08 PM.
Brownape is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2015, 05:39 PM   #4
Andy tsi eos

hi there

on my rns310, you hold the setup button for about 10 seconds after switching on and it goes in to a hidden menu. all the firmware and software details are there.

maybe try the info button on yours?

hth
2.0 TDI Sport 2007.5. Black with red leather. Cruise Control. Wind Deflector. RNS310 GPS Radio running Version 7 maps. Warning Triangle. Mtec cross drilled front discs. Hankook K120 tyres all round. Fully refurbished Solitude 17" alloys. LED licence plate lights. LED side lights.
Andy tsi eos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:45 AM   #5
voxmagna

I don't have your specific satnav but I had a similar problem on the last one I used:

In order to cover up the relatively slow processors they use, you may be able to select 'levels of detail' in options. If you are driving mostly on motorways or main roads you can accept lower detail to get a faster screen refresh and update. But when you get into the country with small roads, it will not show them, although mine did put a pin on a vast area of green!

Check in options and see if you can choose levels of detail. When maps are supplied on memory cards it is interesting to see how large the mapset data file is. A mapset for Europe may show less detail than a UK only mapset. If the map data file for U.K is less than 300-400 Kbytes, then it won't have the detail to show. What you need to do is browse the map on screen. If you can see the streets and street names on the map then your map software is showing you the detail, but the postcode database is lacking.

A friend of mine has this problem on his new French Peugeot. There is something different between the postcode system used in Europe and in U.K.

Most of the mapping software companies only licence their products to vehicle oems and they will be customized so you cannot use their updates but have to go to the oem and pay a lot more money. They will not recognise your VW oem hardware either - that will be a VW bought in platform to run the mapping software.

It's rather like buying a Dell Windows PC but worse. It comes with all the branding but is still MS Windows. Same with VW satnav, but they stop you from getting and installing a cheaper download update from the map software provider.

As Andy says, get your firmware and software versions. But I expect these will only be recognized by VW.

Last edited by voxmagna; 03-13-2015 at 10:48 AM.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:31 PM   #6
FourOaksMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna View Post
I don't have your specific satnav but I had a similar problem on the last one I used:

In order to cover up the relatively slow processors they use, you may be able to select 'levels of detail' in options. If you are driving mostly on motorways or main roads you can accept lower detail to get a faster screen refresh and update. But when you get into the country with small roads, it will not show them, although mine did put a pin on a vast area of green!

Check in options and see if you can choose levels of detail. When maps are supplied on memory cards it is interesting to see how large the mapset data file is. A mapset for Europe may show less detail than a UK only mapset. If the map data file for U.K is less than 300-400 Kbytes, then it won't have the detail to show. What you need to do is browse the map on screen. If you can see the streets and street names on the map then your map software is showing you the detail, but the postcode database is lacking.

A friend of mine has this problem on his new French Peugeot. There is something different between the postcode system used in Europe and in U.K.

Most of the mapping software companies only licence their products to vehicle oems and they will be customized so you cannot use their updates but have to go to the oem and pay a lot more money. They will not recognise your VW oem hardware either - that will be a VW bought in platform to run the mapping software.

It's rather like buying a Dell Windows PC but worse. It comes with all the branding but is still MS Windows. Same with VW satnav, but they stop you from getting and installing a cheaper download update from the map software provider.

As Andy says, get your firmware and software versions. But I expect these will only be recognized by VW.
Have you tried GPS Underground? They have a section on various car manufacturers and users often have software, firmware for various systems along with lots of advice on how to do it. Currently I have another make of car with a HERE based satnav and has been a godsend for updating to the latest maps and firmware. The HERE based system out the factory only had 5 digit post codes but I have used GPS Underground to update to full 7 digits.
FourOaksMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement