Installing Philips daylight running lights - Page 2 - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > Volkswagen Eos Forum > VW Eos Tech Q&A

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:55 PM   #26
brsince78

Vox.... A very comprehensive and useful post.... Unfortunately I didn't think to read it before fitting mine. I've taken a broadly similar approach with the following key differences. I mounted the lighting units at the bottom of the top slot so that I can gain access to the towing eye. Although I hope never to have to use it!
I mounted the control unit directly to the air filter cover without breaching the air tight seal and I wired directly to the battery connections. The photo showing this is before I tucked the wire neatly around the battery and top fuse box casings. I also tapped into the Dipped Beam headlamp in place of the parking lamp connection. This gives me the option of running the DRLs with the side lights / fog lamps on.... What I haven't done and need to is to modify the angle of the LEDs as they do point downwards a little too much.

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2016, 09:32 AM   #27
voxmagna

You mounted them in the top slot where I did, the other poster used the one below. I don't think it makes much difference, I just feel the upper slot looks slightly better.

The angle is really important. Once you get the angle right you will not want to put them on at night. The other day I drove through a woodland road in daytime, turned a corner and a reflective road sign about 8 foot high caught the light!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:23 AM   #28
cadengineer

Default DLR Options

I also have been looking to do a DLR mod but I donít like the look of any of the aftermarket units and donít like to cut any holes for fitment or cut into any original wiring.

The option I went for in the end was using the front fog & side lights as DLRís, the sidelight bulbs were upgraded to W5W 501 T10 9 SMD LED error free CAN-BUS (white) and the fog light bulbs were upgraded to HB4/9006 42 SMD Samsung 2835 LED Fog Bombilla 840LM 6500K (white) unfortunately I could not find any SMD LED HB4ís that did not give me a CAN-BUS error so I had to fit in-line 50w resistors, the plus side with the resistors is that I managed to find them with the HB4 male and female plugs at each end so no opening up or tampering with the original wiring.

I used Carista software with my iPhone and a WI-Fi ELM327 ODB2 adapter to programme the configuration as; use front side and fog as DLRís with the front sides at 100% lumens and the fogs at 50% lumens, this gives about the same output balance to side and fog lights, I set the rear sides to 15% lumens.

The DLR setup is active when the ignition is on and lights off, as soon as you switch the lights on the programmed DLR setup is cancelled and you are back to normal lighting configuration and when you switch on the front fogs they revert to full power.

The car went for an MOT last week but before I booked it in I asked the tester about my DLR set-up to see if there was any doubt about the legality, he had a look with DLRís on then lights on and said it conforms OK. If there was any doubt it would be a simple job to program it back to standard with Carista.

I know the SMD LEDís are road legal but I have the original bulbs to go back in if ever necessary.
cadengineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2016, 06:52 PM   #29
voxmagna

As long as the lamps come on with the engine running, lights off and the side and fogs work as they should, they shouldn't be bothered. DRLs are aimed to be highly visible on a higher beam angle and not put light on the road.

I stood for 10 minutes looking at a string of cars with and without DRLs. Some older vehicles used the OE parking lamps when DRLs were first introduced. They just looked as if they had their side lights on. The newer post 2012 vehicles were definitely aimed to hit my eyes if I crossed in front. DRLs are getting quite a fancy look now. Many are 'L' or 'S' shaped and make the vehicle look very modern.The beam aim of the fogs will be wide and low and I suspect the sides will be wide, although if you fitted a led bulb that should give a sharper angle.

Since I fitted mine I'm not so sure of their safety benefit. Before, idiots with phones in their ears would think twice as my less visible blue EOS approached. Now with DRL's lit they think they can better estimate their chances of running chicken in front!
Old 08-04-2016, 07:18 AM   #30
cadengineer

After being a Volvo V70 driver for many years with the default dipped headlights on all the time I like to drive with lights on dip during the day; unfortunately I don't always remember to switch them on, hence the fitting of DLR's

You are right about the increase of mobile phone use while driving, but I think there is a safety benefit from DLR's giving greater visibility, maybe not so much the light intensity (lumens) but the light colour especially in the upper white range, I have 7000k for the sides and 6500k for the fogs.

I don't think I need to, but after removing the fogs to fit the bulbs I see there is an adjuster for the beam height so the beams could be raised, however the HB4's have a built in projection lens in the forward facing LED's, I thought they were a tad too bright, hence turning them down to 50% in DLR mode.

Some images of the HB4 SMD LED's below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SMD LED1.jpg (71.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg SMD LED0.jpg (88.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SMD LED2.jpg (83.0 KB, 6 views)
cadengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:21 AM   #31
voxmagna

I hope your SMD leds turn out to be relaible and you don't start losing chips in one's or groups. DLR's are running a lot of hours and many of these led conversion bulb replacements lack decent thermal design to remove heat from the chip dies and the series load resistors.

Quote:
You are right about the increase of mobile phone use while driving
It wasn't the drivers but the pedestrians who cross the road! They either have a phone glued to their ear and just give a passing glance to approaching traffic or more recently are staring down at their Pokemon Go screens. I think DLRs allow them the quick glance, but the peds don't seem to correctly compute approaching speed and distance of my EOS. The psychology may have something to do with cyclists using bright leds in daylight. An opportunity for a PhD study there.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:15 PM   #32
brsince78

A further update on my Philips DRL fitting.... I have found that using the trim area alongside the fog lamps does result in the DRLs pointing down towards the road. I modified mine slightly today in a similar way to voxmagna by loosening the mounting brackets and feeding a length of small diameter cable under the lower edge and cutting to length..... That has done the trick.... I'm looking forward to trying it out.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20161015_12_20_52_Pro.jpg (198.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 10-16-2016, 09:38 AM   #33
mickjane2

Great how to voxmagna, thats another job on my to do list. I had these on my Passat http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Drivin...item1c5b5bd0c4
they would dim when the side lights where on and I was hoping for a similar kit for the EOS.

Mick
2010 EOS 2.0 tdi dsg xenons, Black leather electric seats, folding mirrors, RNS 510, 18x8j alloys, front fogs, Door projector lenses, LED footwell lights OEM Bluetooth, OEM front and rear mud flaps, Chrome mirror covers.Sport pedals and dead pedal, led mirror puddle lights and front side lights

2010 Tiguan Match 2.0 tdi dsg
mickjane2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:08 AM   #34
brsince78

Quote:
Originally Posted by brsince78 View Post
A further update on my Philips DRL fitting.... I have found that using the trim area alongside the fog lamps does result in the DRLs pointing down towards the road. I modified mine slightly today in a similar way to voxmagna by loosening the mounting brackets and feeding a length of small diameter cable under the lower edge and cutting to length..... That has done the trick.... I'm looking forward to trying it out.....
.... and here is the result....... I've also invested in a couple of W5W 501 T10 9 SMD LED error free CAN-BUS side light bulbs as fitted by cadengineer earlier in this thread.... This wasn't without a few funnies. The nearside bulb in particular wouldn't light at first and reported a fault on the dashboard. It seems to have settled down now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20161017_07_50_57_Pro.jpg (192.3 KB, 14 views)
Advertisement