Travel sickness due to Diesel engine vibration - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > VW Eos Owners Community > Regional Sections > U.K.

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:11 AM   #1
bushymusic

Default Travel sickness due to Diesel engine vibration

Hi,

I've just bought a eos tdi 2.0L diesel and I'm having multiple problems.
One of the oddest is the vibration (tuning) of the engine...I have this problem on some buses, on the trips into town some buses make me very travel sick and others don't at all and its down to the engine (vibration? frequency? Tuning? Level?) don't know how else to describe it?
This happens after a short while.
Is there a way of retuning the engine myself?
I can and do on my motorbike but have no experience on cars.
Any advice?
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2016, 08:33 PM   #2
silvershadow
Ageing Revhead/Moderator

At first, this sounded like exhaust resonance to me but this is certainly not a problem that is evident in my partner's MY09 which has the original exhaust system intact - has an after-market muffler and pipework been installed? More thought suggests a number of further possibilities for your problem

Another source is faulty shock absorbers and/or unbalanced wheels inducing vibration in the car body. Also middle-ear problems can be a medical cause for motion sickness.

You will have to go through a process of elimination to find the cause of your problem - the fact that you experience this in a variety of vehicles suggests to me it is a medical problem and the cure may be to find and fix the underlying problem.
Carer for my partner's Eos 2.0 TDI DSG MY09 Australian specification - Candy White/Cornsilk Beige leather trim. Her 12 year old grand-daughter has now staked a claim for future ownership when my partner is no longer capable of driving .

Last edited by silvershadow; 02-18-2016 at 08:36 PM.
silvershadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:21 PM   #3
bushymusic

Thanks for replying....I think youre right with the motion sickness.....as its turning out to be variable...the vibration is very different at any speed above 5 mile an hour....I've been trying not to stop and this helps. I did a couple hundred miles this weekend and it was fine so I think I can live with it...I'm still looking into tuning.
As for the siren sound a proper look is going to be the way forward...I'm ordering a pair of car ramps and I'll take a look at the exhaust connections...ill keep you informed!

Old 03-19-2016, 11:18 AM   #4
voxmagna

Quote:
I'm ordering a pair of car ramps
Good luck on those. Only the more expensive long ramps sold for low sports cars will work and clear the EOS front bodywork. I ended up welding up my own which are about six feet long.

Cheap ramps from Halfrauds will damage the EOS low front!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement