How did you find out about the Eos? - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > VW Eos Owners Community > Regional Sections > U.S.

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:00 AM   #1
rcboater

Default How did you find out about the Eos?

I have never seen a TV commercial or any other ad for the Eos, except for the newspaper ads where the dealers list the cars they have. (I'm in the Boston area.)

How did you learn about the Eos?

My discovery was pure chance-- in June of 2008, my daughter was looking for a used car, and we ended up finding a good deal on a used Nissan Sentra at the local VW dealer. While we were hanging out completing the deal and waiting for the paperwork to get processed, we had some time to kill in the showroom. A salesman just happened to be demonstrating the car (roof operation) to a customer-- that was the first I'd ever heard of the car!

Because of that day, the car was on my list when I went shopping for a convertible in May of 2009......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 01:28 AM   #2
Lucid Nonsense
Save the manuals!

I hadn't heard about the Eos until we started contemplating replacing my wife's old Sebring convertible back in the spring. Solara, Audi A4, Volvo C70 and BMW 3-Series convertibles were on our short list, and the Eos was added after a coworker (a VW owner) mentioned it. After a few tests drives of all the contenders, the Eos won handily.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:54 AM   #3
bneeos

I saw one while sitting in a traffic jam. I went to the VW website to get more details. It looked so cool, I had no problems selling the concept to SWMBO. It is my daily drive.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
CIB

However sad this sounds I have to confess that years ago I was looking at the VW website and its concept cars - I saw the 'concept' and announced that one day .... and now it's here, it's mine, and I love it!
C
Old 07-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
Doolallygirl
Former Focus CC3 owner!

I saw an advert for it just the other day when I was watching Home and Away online!

But that's not how I come across it! I had a Ford Focus convertible for a terrible 6 months (it leaked constantly) and decided to investigate other similarly priced vehicles from other makers. Obviously the Eos is far more superior and a little more expensive (hence why I got mine second hand!) but I'm glad I got her despite the leaks, gear crunching and general crap service from VW!
2.0 07 reg Eos Sport FSI Midnight Blue, Black Leather, 17" Westwoods, 6 CD changer, rear parking sensor, wind deflector (with a proper carry case too!), panoramic roof with drop top (I know everyone has one of these but I feel very special!!) and one very attractive lady owner! lol
Doolallygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
Tintin

Just like CIB, I saw the picture of what was at the time a VW concept car praying that it was going to make it to producion 'unchanged'. This would have been roughly 2 years prior to its launch in the UK so around 2004. Then VW decided to release few prototypes around the UK. I checked when it was going to be in my area and in July 2006 I was able to put my hands on one. Up to that point, I was considering buying a Volvo C70 as I thought the car was stunning. As soon as I saw the EOS in flesh, I instantaneously changed my mind and never looked back. Long live the EOS!
EOS T-FSI, Shadow Blue, Westwood 17' wheels, Cornsilk Beige Vienna leather, iPod connectivity, Luxury Pack, Multifunction leather steering wheel, Bluefined in April 2012, Kufatec Fiscon bluetooth kit installed in March 2013 and a RCD 300 head unit replaced with a RCD 510 in August 2016
Tintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
neh321
Complete Carnut

I too saw the VW Concept C when it came out in 2004. I knew then it was the car for me and I put a deposit down in March 2004 so that I got the first customer car on launch.

I went to see the pre-production cars at the Frankfurt Show in September 2005 just to make sure I really did like it, then placed a firm order in March 2006 as soon as they were being accepted (mine was the dealer's first order).

I drove the dealer's demonstrator which arrived towards the end of June 2006 to make absolutely certain I liked it, then collected my car on launch day, Friday 14/07/06.

I still like it just as much now as I did then!

Last edited by neh321; 07-10-2009 at 08:43 AM.
neh321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
SKIDOO

Saw it on the TV advert around late 2006 early 2007 and loved it straight away, then a friend in the village got one and I had a drive of it and as they say 'saw it, drove it, ordered it, never regretted it'. Then had to wait for it to be built and delivered !!!!
Gary
Old 07-09-2009, 10:49 PM   #9
Sunny_Eos

I had never heard of the Eos, but once I was in the market for a car (either a convertible or a muscle car) a friend of a friend told me about it. Once I saw it, I decided it would be a great car.

Still haven't seen any advertising for them and have only seen 3 others while out driving.
DSG Transmission
Dynaudio
Eismeer Blue with Moonrock Gray
Sunny_Eos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:12 AM   #10
rex

Discovered the EOS two years ago while shopping for a VW Beetle. Well my wife drove home a EOS that day not the beetle. Two years of fun driving, no leaks and coming up on my 15,000 mile service. Go to members list and look at my first post. That should say it all.
www.eustis.army.mil
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:24 AM   #11
Zagorka

We went to local VW service center for some repair for my wife's VW Cabrio and we saw the EOS imediatly we felt in love with it.
Zagorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:44 AM   #12
Eos_Up

Mid October '07...

On a lark, I went to the Seattle Auto Show with NO thoughts of getting a new ride. At the time, my "fun" car was my '95 Mustang convertible. Saw the Eos there for the first time. Two weeks later I traded the Mustang in for my Lux model and nearly 20 months later have no regrets about getting the Eos. I'm just coming up on 10,000 miles.

I'm not a daily driver, but when I find an excuse, I'm off in a flash with the top down weather permitting.

Before the auto show, I never heard of the Eos or saw one on the road. In the 20 months of ownership, I've never seen an ad on TV although I have seen a couple of print ads.

Only problem I've had was a part failure in the A/C. That was fixed and no further problems with it after 15 months. No leaks. My overall mileage is 27 MPG with about 32 MPG on road trips.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:50 AM   #13
silvershadow
Ageing Revhead/Moderator

VW Australia air-freighted a LHD Eos to the Sydney Motor Show in October 2007 as a marketing exercise to see if there was sufficient interest to justify releasing the forthcoming RHD version onto the Australian market [there was a significant time lapse between the release of the LHD and RHD versions].

We went to the Show and it was admiration at first sight. I spent some time with the VW market researchers at the Show to see what was planned for the car as my partner had fallen in love with it and had decided she would buy one - I was given a special Eos promotional bag by the researcher which we have kept to go with the car. I suggested a target price of AUD45000 for the car would be "on the money" and the car was subsequently released with a list price close to AUD47000.

I advised my partner to hold off buying the first production model and wait till there had been at least one model change to reduce the likelihood of problems which she did and we placed the order to obtain the MY09 model as I was aware of the engine/transmission upgrades scheduled for this model.

The car has exceeded all of our expectations with one exception - I still have not driven the car as I cannot get my partner to relinquish the driving seat .
Carer for my partner's Eos 2.0 TDI DSG MY09 Australian specification - Candy White/Cornsilk Beige leather trim. Her 12 year old grand-daughter has now staked a claim for future ownership when my partner is no longer capable of driving .
silvershadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:30 AM   #14
CIB

"The car has exceeded all of our expectations with one exception - I still have not driven the car as I cannot get my partner to relinquish the driving seat ."
I overheard my husband saying to a friend, 'No, she won't let me drive it.' - Silvershadow, you are not alone!
Old 07-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #15
geoffa1
Too old to be Junior User

I had come to the conclusion that it was again time to revisit my youth - ie time for another convertible - except this time I would explain it away as wanting to be an Eco-Warrior - hence the diesel.

On that basis it was either a SAAB or the Eos, these being the only convertible diesels on the market in Australia - therefore it was the Eos, as the SAAB, although more expensive, offered nothing over the Eos, except for stodgy handling, a roof that could be cut though by thieves, and a far less eloquent and attractive group of forum members.
Paprika 2008 2.0 TDI (we don't get sport, lux etc in Australia), DSG, Black Vienna "dead cow", Electric Seat Adjustment, SmartTop, "Pacemakers patented chrome grille strips", Japanese Cherrywood "dead tree"on the dash, AVC-9000 Radio-GPS-DVD-Ipod-CD-USB-Bluetooth-TV etc
geoffa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:40 PM   #16
cb391
Life is good... so far

Had been considering a convertible for a few years and then the new retro look Mustang came out. I liked it alot but the wife didn't. She was leary about a soft top where we live plus how they look as they age. Picked up a copy of Motor Trend or Car and Driver in early 2006 and there was a picture of an Eos. Wifey liked that. So we got to see and touch one at the Chicago Auto show and after comparing it to a C70 decided to get the Eos. Only problem was they weren't due in the U.S. for another 7 months. We talked to several dealers and in May one took a deposit from us to hold a spot on their list. A month or so later the dealer let us put in the order using this deposit. We special ordered ours with out driving one. In July 06 there wasn't even a test car available. In August we finally got to test drive one twice even though it wasn't the same model we ordered. When ours arrived in October it was even better than we hoped for. For the past 33 months we have been very happy with it. BTW my wife doesn't mind me driving the car. She likes be chaufferred around.

2007 2.0T Sport, Eismeer/Cornsilk, DSG, Enkei PF01 17" wheels w/ Michelin AS/3 tires, DynAudio

Last edited by cb391; 07-13-2009 at 02:43 PM.
cb391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:56 AM   #17
silvershadow
Ageing Revhead/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIB View Post
I overheard my husband saying to a friend, 'No, she won't let me drive it.' - Silvershadow, you are not alone!

Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one suffering Eos deprivation .
Carer for my partner's Eos 2.0 TDI DSG MY09 Australian specification - Candy White/Cornsilk Beige leather trim. Her 12 year old grand-daughter has now staked a claim for future ownership when my partner is no longer capable of driving .
Old 07-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #18
geoffa1
Too old to be Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvershadow View Post
Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one suffering Eos deprivation .
You made the ultimate mistake - you registered it in her name - I won't say any more as it may incriminate me
Paprika 2008 2.0 TDI (we don't get sport, lux etc in Australia), DSG, Black Vienna "dead cow", Electric Seat Adjustment, SmartTop, "Pacemakers patented chrome grille strips", Japanese Cherrywood "dead tree"on the dash, AVC-9000 Radio-GPS-DVD-Ipod-CD-USB-Bluetooth-TV etc
geoffa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:26 AM   #19
silvershadow
Ageing Revhead/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffa1 View Post
You made the ultimate mistake - you registered it in her name - I won't say any more as it may incriminate me

No choice in the matter - she paid for it from her money .

As my grandparents often reminded me - [s]he who pays the piper calls the tune!!!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:32 PM   #20
mbuck1900

Talking Love at first sight

I have never been interested in cars. Quickest, cheapest way from A to B was my view for years. As a second car became viable for my family, we considered a fun car and a convertible was decided on. From that point, I looked at soft tops but soon was swayed by the novelty of hard top converters. I tried them all; Astra twin top, Peugeot 307/308, Ford Focus CC, Renault Megane. The last one I tried was the Eos. I'd never seen one before so I booked a test drive from the local VW dealer. The eos came around a bend and pulled up in front of me, top down, music playing and with a lovely sunny day too! As soon as I got behind the wheel it was a case of love at first sight. Everything abouit this car was classier than the other competition. I love it with the top down, but I think the look of the Eos with the top up takes some beating. The shape is beautiful from all angles and looks especially mean from the front. I find excuses to make totally unnecessary car journeys. My two daughters are also smitten; only my wife to convert now!
mbuck1900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:18 AM   #21
neh321
Complete Carnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuck1900 View Post
I have never been interested in cars. Quickest, cheapest way from A to B was my view for years. As a second car became viable for my family, we considered a fun car and a convertible was decided on. From that point, I looked at soft tops but soon was swayed by the novelty of hard top converters. I tried them all; Astra twin top, Peugeot 307/308, Ford Focus CC, Renault Megane. The last one I tried was the Eos. I'd never seen one before so I booked a test drive from the local VW dealer. The eos came around a bend and pulled up in front of me, top down, music playing and with a lovely sunny day too! As soon as I got behind the wheel it was a case of love at first sight. Everything abouit this car was classier than the other competition. I love it with the top down, but I think the look of the Eos with the top up takes some beating. The shape is beautiful from all angles and looks especially mean from the front. I find excuses to make totally unnecessary car journeys. My two daughters are also smitten; only my wife to convert now!

So there's hope for you yet Mbuck!
Old 07-23-2009, 05:23 PM   #22
JamesR

We had a Fiat Coupe which was a lovely car but we never really trusted it and my wife keeps getting promoted and her company give her a very nice allowance for a car. The fact that we were using the money to run two cars and pay for holidays was begining to show.

So we were going to buy a Golf Plus but we put it off for a year and then the Eos started to look possible. We fancied a drop top and the Eos was the only one that had understated style and reliabilty.

So I did a cost benefit analysis (I know) and to our surprise, if you did it with the spec in mind (veggies with leather) over 5 years the Eos cost about the same due to projected resale values (I used the A4 and Beamer 3 for comparison) and the Fiat was going to cost more (repairs and petrol).
We still have a bit left over and the Eos matches the Mercs, BWMs and Audis easily due to the drop top and the rarity. And will continue to for a few years yet.

The head and the heart lived happily ever after.
JamesR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:48 PM   #23
Janizary
Arbitor of Discord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcboater View Post
How did you learn about the Eos?
Autoblog.com some number of months before release. Thought it looked interesting so I went to look at it when it hit the lots. Took my wife with me and she loved it. So now she has one.
2007 Lexus IS350 - My DD (SGM)
1999 Ford F350 Super Duty 4X4 TD - Toy Hauler (TT)
Two jeeps are now GONE!
and motorcycles, quads, trailers, etc. (yeah, I have a problem)
http://www.cleanmpg.com/garage/images/2646.png
Janizary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:55 PM   #24
GutzEOS

In the spring of 2007, my son wanted my old car to commute to work. I have always been partial to coupes and convertibles from GM. They then had nothing I wanted. I happened to see a white EOS, checked it out online and found that it was a convertible. Checked the Pontiac G6 it was no comparison so I ordered a paprika sport with cornsilk interior, delivery to be 4 months later. For some reason I went back to the dealer 3 weeks later and there was the same car except it was a lux. I couldn't pass that up and the last 22,000 miles have been wonderful. That summer I did see 4 or 5 billboards around the area for EOS's.

2013 Executive with all it's goodies, Salsa red, Cornsilk interior, spoiler, Monster mats and first aid kit.

2007 2.0T Paprika red, Cornsilk, Luxury package, DSG transmission, Park Distance Control, iPod adapter, & splash guards
GutzEOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:33 AM   #25
lam

Default Neighbor started it

Someone in my condo complex had one about two years ago (Eismeer/Beige) and it got me interested in doing some research. I thought I was going to buy a Miata (my last two cars were Mazdas), but when I test drove one I could not see using it as my only vehicle. It felt too small and too cramped. I wanted a hardtop and other options were really out of my price range. I test drove an EOS last fall and finally took the plunge today.
lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement