Leaky third brake light? - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > Volkswagen Eos Forum > VW Eos Tech Q&A

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-12-2016, 03:34 PM   #1
gixerben

Default Leaky third brake light?

Hi Guys

Anybody had an issues with the third brake light letting water in the boot?

I have removed the rear boot lid carpet thingy and have been monitoring water ingress after doing the rear light seal improvements, but this morning it looks like it's also coming in around the third brake light, seems to be dripping off the screws that hold it in place.

I'm going to investigate over the weekend when I have a bit more time, but just thought I would run it by the owners..

Thanks
gixerben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2016, 09:40 PM   #2
voxmagna

Somebody had the led chips fail when the lamp unit was leaking. I can only speak for the other lamp units. The lamp units are sealed around the outside seams and should be absolutely water tight. They use a thin rubbery gasket behind but is really the lamp sealing that has to work. The problem comes if you get a crack in the lens or on the side. Water gets inside washes over the circuit board, then comes out on the plastic back section. If the gasket isn't sealing you could get water in that way around the fixing screws. Loads of water runs over the trunk lid and all the lamps must be well sealed.

Check your lamp unit carefully for any cracks or water inside. You can make new gaskets with the thin poly sheet foam they sell for wood block floor underlay. Silicone sealer works but is rather messy to clean up and remove if the lamp unit ever has to come off.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:45 PM   #3
gixerben

Cheers, for the reply.
I removed the said light unit and it appears that it has gone a tad brittle over the past 7 years..

A few of the mounting tabs have broken and clearly been letting water into the trunk.

I have given the whole area a good clean and attempted to repair the snapped tabs on the light unit and replaced.

I have found a replacement light on the bay for around 40 sheets so will keep a close eye on the water ingress and make the decision if a replacement will be required.

It's clearly been faulty for sometime and with all the mods and tips you have suggested my missus EOS is getting water tight!!

Thanks vox

Old 10-26-2016, 08:50 PM   #4
voxmagna

Great! With care and patience you can get these EOS cars watertight. Unfortunately, many just want a one hit fix and its not like that. My EOS sits outside 24/7 and is as dry as a bone. If I start seeing window misting I look for a leak. So far with all my careful investigation and fixes, everything is good with no water in the trunk.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:26 PM   #5
gixerben

My EOS also sits outside 24/7, so like you I'm keen to get it watertight especially as it will be are first winter together.And as of late with have had lovely warm days and foggy nights so plenty of moisture to mist the windows up, and I'm pleased to say so far so good, I even give it a once over with the jet wash (reduced power)as I was cleaning my other car and not a drop in the boot or cabin so fingers crossed my attention to detail may well pay off..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement