Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

DSG Recall in Canada

14K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  littledove 
#1 ·
Ha, so how is that for a catchy title to grab an owners attention!

I dropped my Eos off for it's first service today in Vancouver and was enquiring about the widely publicized DSG gearbox recall (USA, Australia etc) which included my model year.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/volkswagen-will-repair-dsg-transmissions-on-53300-vehicles/

I'd mentioned that I had experienced a brief error some time ago when the car had been disabled, revved high, gear display flashed wildly - then some erratic forward motion. Very brief - rectified by turning off the engine and restarting.
The service guy listened to my experience (you know that glazed look they have) - typed in my VIN and said "no recall" - and left it at that.

Well - I just wanted to check with any other Eos drivers from Canada if:

1. They have had any weird symptoms with their DSG transmissions
2. They have been contacted about a recall

The owners in the US that had issues (other VW products and Audi also) contacted the NHSTA and their proactive methods might have spurred on the reaction from VW in the form of the recall. I'm just wanting to make sure that owners north of the border are being made aware that this recall exists - and I guess, I'm also wanting to see if VW Canada is stepping up to the plate.

It's my understanding that the DSG gearbox is very expensive to repair or replace. :( Having to buy my own VW lubricant for the seals is one thing but tranny issues frighten me !!

More information can be found on the VW vortex forums
(eg: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4541499) or via a Google
search.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Di

See less See more
#3 ·
dsg issues

HI Littledove
We recently got a letter from vw canada about extended dsg warranty coverage. It also stated that they would relace the bushing in dsg if there are issues with it. Did you recive one?
I spoke to my vw dealership and they said all parts would be in by later spring. We have complained to our dealership about our eos jerking forward in drive and also strong jerks in reverse.
They originally said it was within perameters, funny how things have changed.

#4 ·
Yes, quite incredibly I also received the letter within a week of visiting the dealership! What a relief - and also impressed by the extension of the warranty on the DSG from 5 to 10 years.:)

This has re-invigorated my passion for this vehicle (it never really left, with Vancouver's mild winter this year I have had the opportunity for some top down enjoyment which re-affirms my excellent choice of vehicle)!

But still doesn't make up for the fact that I was treated like a dumb dame by the service desk at the Nth Shore dealership.
I had asked them to check my rear view mirror as it has intermittent dimming capabilities sometimes rectified by a swift hit - to be told that it had been tested with a bright flashlight and did function after all and I probably had the thing turned off ..... :mad::mad::mad:

#5 ·
Hi littledove,

I'm in Vancouver as well, actually had the roof down this past weekend, and I asked at my dealership and he did the same thing, he looked up my VIN and said no recall.

I haven't experienced any problems with my DSG so lucky about that and yes guess what I got the letter last week too extending my warranty

#9 ·
Sorry Kitchener, ONT Eos! But November was the only month I did not have my top down! Oh, actually - I did once!! Even if it's 5 degrees and sunny I'll reach for my favorite control and let the sky in! Last Thanksgiving wasn't too warm but I drove all the way from Tofino to Nanaimo topless!!Love this car - it's a keeper!

I even bought a second cheaper car so that I don't put too many miles on the Eos or get it scratched in the local malls where the driving challenged hang out!
Am I crazy??

#10 ·

I even bought a second cheaper car so that I don't put too many miles on the Eos or get it scratched in the local malls where the driving challenged hang out!
Am I crazy??

No - you have just joined the Eos community as a "fully-fledged" member :D.

#12 ·
Just wanted to quickly let you know that I had the mechatronic recall work completed this week at Clarkdale on Main St in Vancouver. Had the car returned within 24 hours and there is a noticeable difference with the gearbox - no more low rev surging! I'm a happy driver!
Was also mighty pleased with the reception at Clarkdale service department - and they didn't want me to wait until my next service booking (Capilano VW suggested this over the phone, needless to say I have abandoned them in favor of Clarkdale who were eager to complete warranty work for me - a new customer!)
:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.