Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

ABS Module Recall - Claims Not Honored?

11K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  FSJ Guy 
#1 ·
[re-post from VWVortex]

I have an 09 EOS, which is covered by the ABS recall according to the year, model and VIN range given by the NHTSA in their "Part 573 Safety Recall Report, 16V-913" and other official documents downloadable from their site.

I currently have all the signs of the recall issue - ABS light, anti-skid light, flashing brake light. The lights came on over the weekend after a snowstorm.

When I researched the issue here and found there was a recall, I thought - nice, good on VW for taking ownership of the issue. Then I called customer care.

Even though they said "those are the recall symptoms" when I described my issue, they then proceeded to tell me that my VIN isn't in their database and therefore the recall doesn't apply to me. I asked if all VINs had yet been added to their database, and they said *no* VINs have yet been added. In fact, they repeatedly stated they can not at this time know which VINs are eligible.

So apparently this is a safety recall that they aren't yet honoring.

Has anyone had any luck with this? A customer care manager is supposed to call me back today, hopefully I'll get some help.

Sorry to vent. Generally I've had good luck with the car. It doesn't leak, performs ok, and I love to drive my wife and 4yo daughter in the summer with the top down. But being asked to pay out of pocket (I've heard as high as $2400) to repair a current, serious safety issue covered by an open recall is nuts. Way to go VW.

See less See more
#2 ·
In your case I am not sure the ABS is the actual cause. I have had my 07 Eos do this twice and under the same condition. Both times it has happened during heavy and wet snow which I believe is getting into the wheel sensors or into a connector. If is it the module, then they are going to have to add more model years to a recall.

#3 ·
One of the codes was:
16352 - Control Module - Electrical Error

I suppose that could come from moisture or a bad solder connection (the recall issue).

I hope you're correct and it's just moisture getting in somewhere, sounds like an easier fix.

I do wish they would at least take a look, but since they said no VINs are applicable to the recall, seems they've made the choice not to look at anything yet.

Thanks,

JC

#4 · (Edited)
The high pressure sensor integral with the ABS module failed on MY07. You would have thought that should be a recall because it failed after I had been pressing down very hard on the brake pedal which caused the piezo pressure strain gauge bridge to break. I found which pins were the sensor output on the connector and they sit either high at +5 volts or low at 0 volts after the sensor has failed, with voltage constant however hard you press on the brake pedal.

Recall? No such luck and I had to source a new module and fit it myself. This is a very common fault on all the VW ABS modules. A bad solder connection sounds like a cop out when most faults you read are the high pressure sensor failing? If you get all the ABS warnings lit after a hard braking emergency stop then look forward to an expensive repair. It may be a while before this happens and by then VW will not want to know.

#6 ·
ABS Module and Hydraulic Pump Replaced Under Recall

Update: Colonial VW in Newtown Square PA worked with the VW corporate office to get replacement of my ABS module *and* hydraulic unit authorized under the recall. The repair was completed about a month ago, and all is well.

Result! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.