Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

Cigarette lighter, sockets for Satnav charging

10K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  voxmagna 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this forum as have only recently bought my first ever Eos - 2007 Sport model. Love it. However not surprisingly by the sounds of it, my car came without a manual and I'm in the process of ordering one, but need to be able to charge my satnav but lighter socket doesn't work.
I have found what I think is a similar fuse diagram online and checking thorugh those to see if I can fix problem, however it also states there's a 12v socket in luggage compartment. Does anyone know if that's common to all models and where do I find it of it's there? I've had cursory look in boot presuming that's where it means but couldn't see anything.
Thanks for any help!

#2 · (Edited)
Hi there

The other socket is at the rear of the central console.

I should add that both sockets only work with the engine running

Also the handbook sits in a slot on the roof of the glovebox

Hth

#3 ·
Hi, thank you for the reply. Have come home with new 15amp fuses to see if I can get lighter going (tried with engine running but nothing) and will check for one at rear of central console too. Imagine that if it's the fuse neither will work, but if console one does - then maybe my whole lighter needs replacing?!

#5 ·
They would have to print a lot of fuse maps for all the different model variants. The simplest thing to do is use a continuity tester to test all the fuses one by one in fuse boxes. There's a fuse box under the steering column, and one in the engine bay. That last one has some very BIG fuses in it. I say test each one because blade fuses can sometimes look o.k when the wire inside has actually separated.

It is quite common to find fuses blown on the cigar sockets, because people buy toys which don't have integral fuses built into the cigar plug.:(

As Andy says, they are only active with the ignition on. On the last car I fitted an extra socket inside the glovebox wired to the battery and a fuse so I could charge the phone or satnav hidden away when the car was parked.

#6 ·
Thanks again. Just got new 15amp fuses (read online that it needs to be 15A?) and slotted one in to replace a blown 20A fuse. All seems to be working fine - lighter and 12V socket. Now found out after a night of rain that I've sprung a leak from a seal on the passenger side - I feel another post coming on...!!

#7 ·
It may help others if you can say which fuse it is because it is difficult to get accurate and relevant info. I think you have to get the correct fuse data from the online manual relevant to your specific EOS VIN number.

Because it is so easy to mix up the fuses, I only remove 1 at a time for testing and take a photo before I start!

15 A is fine and safer. Unless somebody plugs in a high draw car demister or voltage converter. On my older cars cigar lighters had a perspex external ring lit from the socket power, so you always knew if the fuse had blown.

Modern cars are made cheaply with many useful things missing. A 'universal' part made for the VAG range and fitted in Skodas doesn't want to look too ostentatious!

#8 ·
Yes sorry, I'm a novice on forums so didn't think to describe what fuse I replaced - see if this pdf attachment works.
I found this diagram online and it was the nearest to the format of my fuse box except complete mirror image. I presumed since I'm right-hand drive, this maybe for the left, so I just reversed.
It specifies fuse number 42 in 2nd up from bottom section - 3rd from left, but since my 3rd from left didn't take the fuse - presume it has to be empty, I did 3rd from right which is the equivalent to number 43.
Anyway, this was the 20A that had blown and my 15A in that slot worked a treat. Hope that makes sense.

Just found out my pdf is too large and can't find the exact link so I'm copying this one which is the nearest. Scroll down to no 207/8 and that's the diagram I used, except in mine - it did specify 15A not 20 as it does on this one.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5318678-MKV-Fuse-Panel-Diagram

#10 ·
Yes some fuse slots ARE empty which is why you have to be careful and take that starting photo. Incidentally, unlike most cars, you won't find fuse diagrams that tie up in the car manual. It's all a bit annoying because the Cabriolet is unique and whilst you can do what you did and find something similar, it shouldn't be that way.

I had a dead washer pump motor and it took me ages to pull out, test and find the dead fuse (and shorted motor!). But then VW stick diodes across their washer motors which will be the first point of likely failure.

If you want a cheap route to 'some info better than nothing', tie down your engine code and see if there's a Golf with it and get the Haynes manual. My BMM 2l Tdi diesel was used in the Golf MkV and I used the Haynes to cross check methods for doing the cam belt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.