Roll over - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > Volkswagen Eos Forum > VW Eos Q&A

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:25 AM   #1
Eosman

Unhappy Roll over

Matter of interest. Has anyone rolled their Eos. Did the pop up roll bars work and how effective were they, although I guess if they didn't work the reply would probably be coming from the afterlife.

Hey Ho.
Eosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
Darren
Rated EE: Eos Enthusiast

I don't want to find out. I did see somewhere on YouTube a video of how they work. I just don't want to personally experience this!

2010 Audi Q5 Premium 3.2 Garnet Red Pearl with Black Leather

Previously owned from 12/2007-1/2011 a 2008 Eos Lux 2.0T Thunder Blue with Moonrock grey leather, Dynaudio, Smart-top and APR-93 tune.
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
Doolallygirl
Former Focus CC3 owner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren View Post
I don't want to find out. I did see somewhere on YouTube a video of how they work. I just don't want to personally experience this!
I've seen that too somewhere. Try youtubing Eos roll bars and see what comes up...or you could search this site for youtube as lots of other posts have included videos/demos of the Eos before.
2.0 07 reg Eos Sport FSI Midnight Blue, Black Leather, 17" Westwoods, 6 CD changer, rear parking sensor, wind deflector (with a proper carry case too!), panoramic roof with drop top (I know everyone has one of these but I feel very special!!) and one very attractive lady owner! lol
Doolallygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
Lucari

Apologies if this has been posted before, but there are some good (?) pictures and videos of the EOS undergoing its Euro NCAP testing. Its here if you have the stomach.

I've seen pictures of the Focus CC with the roll-over bars up. They punch up through the rear window. I'm sure the EOS is the same.

My old CC was involved in a front-end crash that was enough to write it off. It looked a mess but I walked away with a slight whack in the chest off the selt belt, some air bag burns on my hands and an achy shoulder. They build these cars to protect.

09 2.0 TDi SE, Pearl Black, Wind Deflector, No Roof but a spare one in the boot.
Lucari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:05 AM   #5
silvershadow
Ageing Revhead/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucari View Post
Apologies if this has been posted before, but there are some good (?) pictures and videos of the EOS undergoing its Euro NCAP testing. Its here if you have the stomach.

I've seen pictures of the Focus CC with the roll-over bars up. They punch up through the rear window. I'm sure the EOS is the same.

My old CC was involved in a front-end crash that was enough to write it off. It looked a mess but I walked away with a slight whack in the chest off the selt belt, some air bag burns on my hands and an achy shoulder. They build these cars to protect.

Note the time taken for the roll-over bars to activate in the frontal impact test - I hope the deployment is a lot quicker in a roll-over accident.

I just hope the bar activation sensor takes priority as soon as the car tilts more than a set amount from the horizontal including end-for-end inversions and not just sideways rollovers.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
isangelous
Not-yet-VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvershadow View Post
Note the time taken for the roll-over bars to activate in the frontal impact test - I hope the deployment is a lot quicker in a roll-over accident.
It looked to me like the roll bars did not deploy until the car started twisting after the front impact. Makes sense as the roll bars arnt required in a front impact but the movement after probably feels like a roll motion - especially given the forces involved. I guess it has to be sensitive enough to deploy them at the first sign of a roll so they are up locked and ready before the car is on its roof.
isangelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #7
Doolallygirl
Former Focus CC3 owner!

I just watched that and nearly threw up! Especially as that is the colour of my car! Seems like it protects reasonably well. I was always concerned by the glass roof shattering but this didn't seem possible in these tests and that kind of reassured me although it obviously wasn't a massive worry as I bought one regardless of the glass roof! lol
2.0 07 reg Eos Sport FSI Midnight Blue, Black Leather, 17" Westwoods, 6 CD changer, rear parking sensor, wind deflector (with a proper carry case too!), panoramic roof with drop top (I know everyone has one of these but I feel very special!!) and one very attractive lady owner! lol
Doolallygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:18 PM   #8
Eosman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolallygirl View Post
I just watched that and nearly threw up! Especially as that is the colour of my car! Seems like it protects reasonably well. I was always concerned by the glass roof shattering but this didn't seem possible in these tests and that kind of reassured me although it obviously wasn't a massive worry as I bought one regardless of the glass roof! lol
I think a bit of glass would be the least of your problems when your bouffant is rubbing the road.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:44 PM   #9
anna_r

One of the first posts when this board opened was about a rolled Eos someone had seen, and there were some photos too...
anna_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #10
lulu

Smile

My husband rolled his eos several times, hit a tree, and ended with the car upside down. Yes, the roll bars worked and the cops said that they saved his life!
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:20 PM   #11
Eosman

Good news! I can now drive fast enough to drag the door handles confident that the roll bars will save my bacon.

Rock and roll.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:25 AM   #12
Kevvboy

Default Wow Lulu

That's incredible! Glad your husband made it through that okay.... and thanks for letting us know it really did work.
Kevvboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement