Cabin Air Filter - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > Volkswagen Eos Forum > VW Eos Tech Q&A

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
mhwysong
MY_EOS_ROCKS

Default Cabin Air Filter

Ok. I have been through the books, and contacted VW Service and all they will tell me is it is just like a jetta, well I do not own a jetta, and do not want to take it into the dealer for service so i know it is located behind the glove box. I would like to inspect and change my cabin air filter if it needs it, but can not see how to remove the glove box to access the filter. Can someone point me to a service document or explain here how to change it out?
Thanks
mhwysong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 11:44 PM   #2
YVR

Default Cabin Air & Pollen Filter Access

Good evening mhwysong,

See if the following two attachments help.

Rgds, YVR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cabin Filter Page 1.jpg (150.7 KB, 522 views)
File Type: jpg Cabin Filter Page 2.jpg (141.6 KB, 351 views)
YVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:02 AM   #3
mhwysong
MY_EOS_ROCKS

Default Thanks!

YVR,

Yes the first thumb nail is what I needed.
thanks Again.
MHW
mhwysong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
vpeos07

thanks. this helped me too...
vpeos07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
midician
South Australian Owner

Default Should pollen filter be replaced at 15000km?

I just had a 15K service and they have not replaced it. Is that right?

If one were to do it yourself, where would you get a filter and is it hard to replace yourself?
Old 10-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
Lucid Nonsense
I Love Jet Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by midician View Post
I just had a 15K service and they have not replaced it. Is that right?

If one were to do it yourself, where would you get a filter and is it hard to replace yourself?
In the U.S. "Carefree Maintenance" schedule, the pollen filter isn't replaced until 20K miles. If the schedule's similar in Australia, 15K kilometers would be too early.

I haven't replaced the filter yet myself, but if you look at YVR's pictures from eBahn it appears to be an easy task.

Plenty of aftermarket vendors for the filters, such as Mann, ~12USD mail order. In the U.S., local auto parts stores can get aftermarket filters if they don't have them on the shelf, not sure about other countries. An actual VW filter at your local VW dealer probably will run a few bucks more.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
cmaggio

I have a 2007 EOS and to change the cabin air filter I removed the two plastic screws under the glove compartment and pulled back toward the seat a pliable cover. Next I slid the plastic filter holding device and removed it. Then I removed the filter. I then installed the new filter and reversing the order completed the job. All of this was accomplished with some manipulation but none the less it was accomplished somewhat easily.
cmaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
SiJ2000
Ex Moderator/Ex EOS Owner

cmaggio is spot on, that is exactly right. Just be careful not to damage the mountings of the filter when putting it in. Best way is to fit the plastic bit to the filter when it is partially in so you can push it up with the guides in the right place.
Decided to go ECO and downsize!

Any technical advice I have given was from my own experience and is not endorsed by VW!
So please don't sue me if something breaks! I'm just trying to be a helpful friend!!!
SiJ2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:20 PM   #9
1956 Beetle

Knowing that everything Volkswagen is complicated, I decided to try this myself, based on the descriptions by cmaggio and SiJ2000. I bought a Fram Fresh Breathe cabin filter (infused with Arm and Hammer baking soda) for $37 at WalMart. As cmaggio says, just undo the two plastic thumb screws that hold the expanded polyethylene plastic sheet up underneath the glove compartment, remove the plastic sheet and shazaam, there it is. The filter is installed vertically on the EOS. Slide the filter cover to the right by pushing on the tab and remove it. Pull down on the old filter and it comes right out. Note the orientation of the corner of the filter that is cut off. The cut off corner goes in on the right side of the filter housing. Push the new filter up into the housing in the same orientation. Replace the cover by first sliding it up into the filter slots (there are six slots in the bottom of the filter) and then pushing it to the left (towards the driver's side of the car). Absolutely no tools needed. None. Unfortunately, I had put this replacement off, due to the post by YVR that showed some complicated procedure put out by VW. Cannot for the life of me figure out why they decided that procedure was needed, other than to try to discourage us do-it-yourselfers.. My 2008 EOS has 70,000 miles on it. The first owner had it for 22,000 miles, smoked and had a dog. The cabin filter that I pulled out was obviously the original - gross!! (I had refused the replacement service at the VW dealer several times becasue they get well over $100 for the job.)
1956 Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #10
voxmagna

When you had your 1956 Beetle there was no such thing as cabin filters. It's all about charging for consumables and labor after sales.

If you buy some vacuum cleaners they have anti allergenic HEPA filters sold at great cost.

I took mine out which was very clean, put on a dust mask and blew it out backwards with an air line.

There is one downside to not keeping up the airflow through the cabin filter apart from less air and that is, you reduce the coooling (and life) of the heater fan speed resistors, particularly using the 1 & 2 settings when they get quite hot.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:06 PM   #11
garner49

I almost have to laugh at a cabin-air-filter in a convertible... I know the top is not down all the time; but.

Looks like a pain to get to and replace - have not even looked at mine yet. The 40k service is about 1k away and I'm sure they'll make that suggestion, at extra cost. Not looking forward to this one $$. I was a bit peeved at the $96 the dealer charged me for the oil change (oh sure they washed it) for synthetic; but I change it in our Miata for about $35 including the filter.

Looking forward to some cooler weather for top-down driving. It's been running in the upper 90's here lately with heat index of 105+. Glad the ac works well.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:21 PM   #12
voxmagna

Quote:
Looks like a pain to get to and replace
It is one of the easiest jobs to do. Ignore the cabin filter at your peril! All your air con comes through it and if it gets blocked you could get frosting on the evaporator. The heater motor might also burn out its speed control resistor pack. That is because they rely on air cooling. Block the airflow and they will overheat!

To be honest, it is one of those things like the Hepa filters in vacuums. If you are not an allergy sufferer it is probably better to take it out rather than have it. However, we get problems with tree seeds getting in vents and the cabin filter stops the blast of 'confetti' when the heater blower is switched on. Therefore I remove ours every so often and blow it through with an air line, rather then replace it. Buy aftermarket, much cheaper.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:17 PM   #13
Lucid Nonsense
I Love Jet Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by garner49 View Post
I was a bit peeved at the $96 the dealer charged me for the oil change (oh sure they washed it) for synthetic; but I change it in our Miata for about $35 including the filter.
Yeah, $96 is a bit steep. DIY oil changes are a breeze on TSI motors. It's even cheaper now that Wally World carries 5qt jugs of Mobil 1 0W40 (which meets the VW 502 spec) for $23. Mann TSI oil filters can be found online for about $10, but they're only a few dollars more if you get one at your local auto parts store or at the dealer.

I did eventually replace the cabin air filter on our Eos - it really is easy like the others guys said. Aftermarket versions of the filter are $12 online.
Advertisement