Trunk Release Issue With 2007 Eos - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > Volkswagen Eos Forum > VW Eos Q&A

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
Fullcirclethink

Default Trunk Release Issue With 2007 Eos

Just recently purchased a one owner, certified 2007 Eos with 35,000 miles on it. I was told that the original owner traded it in on a new Eos (easy to believe). Came with a 2 year or 24,000 mile warranty. When I push the trunk release button on the driver's door, I am not able to get to the trunk before it closes! Had the dealership take a look and they said they fixed it (NOT). Any ideas? I'm thinking that maybe the trunk lift struts are worn and not allowing the trunk lid to open far enough, thus activating the 'automatic' close feature. What say you?

Also, the emblem that enables me to lift the trunk lid stays in the 'open' position. Are these two connected in some way?

Thanks!

2007 Eos, Luxury package

Last edited by Fullcirclethink; 02-07-2011 at 07:52 PM. Reason: One missing question
Fullcirclethink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 07:44 AM   #2
Jake Bullit

Is it very cold where you are?If the struts are worn there many not be enough pressure to open and hold the lid.This may go away as the temperature increases.
WD6050 satnav bluetooth,dvd.
Rear wind deflector(cheers PEN).
Jake Bullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
toureos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Bullit View Post
Is it very cold where you are?If the struts are worn there many not be enough pressure to open and hold the lid.This may go away as the temperature increases.
That has been true of my Eos. When the weather was cold the lid would re-shut but now the temperature is around 10C it is fine again. I think the boot/trunk seals 'bed down' with age and less springyness to push the boot up slightly.

I don't think the 'sticking emblem' is anything to do with it - might need a squirt of maintenace spray (e.g.WD40) on the emblem pivots with the emblem open.
toureos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:38 PM   #4
evolvingpowercat

Look inside the trunk lid of your Eos you will see two round bumpers that are spring loaded that should move up and down freely. These should compress when you shut the trunk and should hold the trunk lid just high enough when you pop the release button so that the motor does not pull it back down while you are walking from the drivers door back to the trunk lid.

Use your finger to make sure they move up and down freely - if they don't that is your problem. Mine did what yours is doing and after I worked the buttons up and down a few times a year ago it has never happened since.

White 2007 Eos 2.0T w DSG, Sport Package, 18" All seasons, De-badged, Add-ons so far: Parrot Bluetooth phone adapter w steering wheel controls, SmartTop control module, 5000K Xenon low beam bulbs, Silverstar Ultra high beam bulbs, Curt Hitch with isolated trailer wiring connector, Peripheral Electronics iSimple Ipod Gateway
evolvingpowercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:28 AM   #5
Fullcirclethink

Default Trunk Release Issue With 2007 Eos

evolvingpowercat: Yep, that did it! Much thanks! I pushed them several times and then tested opening it from the driver's door button and taking a 'casual' stroll to the trunk and it opened every time! Sweet!

toureos: I did as you instructed and applied some WD-40 to the emblem and it not only closes after using it, it also unlatches the trunk like it's suppose to! Great catch! Thanks!!
Fullcirclethink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #6
solarflare

These bumpers are also adjustable. There's a torx screw in the center that acts like a wedge. Just unscrew it a bit and you're able to pull the bumper assembly out a few notches and then screw back in. Be careful because the screw does not bottom out or get tight. It just needs to be positioned in the middle of its travel to secure the bumper.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
Pepino

geez, good to know. I would bring my 2007 Eos in time after time, and the dealer wouldn't give me an exact solution.

thanks for the tip

2.0T Black 6sp M Titan Black int + dogs in back seats.
Pepino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #8
eismeerblue

My 07 trunk release works (or doesn't work) just like fullcirclethink, but I found that if I hit the door lock button twice the trunk is unlocked and I didn't have to race back to open it. I guess I'd better take a look at those round, rubber bumpers. Steve
eismeerblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
Coo

I'm having the same prOblem since I replaced both of the stop buffers. The problem is that despite I bought them from a VW retailer they seem to work badly as the do not move at all up or down as the previous ones did. I unscrewed the torx, put the into place but still nothing.

Last edited by Coo; 01-04-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Coo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #10
David Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coo View Post
I'm having the same prOblem since I replaced both of the stop buffers. The problem is that despite I bought them from a VW retailer they seem to work badly as the do not move at all up or down as the previous ones did. I unscrewed the torx, put the into place but still nothing.
It may just be me, but I think you need to be a bit more clear with your post in order for me to understand what you are trying to say.

Sorry if I seem to be a bit dense.

09 Eos/Tech Pkg/RNS510/Silver&Blk Leather Seats/Custom Flr Mats/Sherwood Dash Kit/K&N Air/Gentex HomeLink/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/SmartTOP/Auto Headlights/Full LED Interior Lights Including Foot Wells Front-Rear-Trunk/Under Seat Drawer/YellowTop Battery/R-Line Flat Bottom MFSW/Volk-L BlueTooth/Dash Cubby/Chrome Mirror-DoorHandle Covers/B U Camera/Trunk Spoiler.

2013 CC Sport Plus
David Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:17 AM   #11
Atl

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingpowercat View Post
Look inside the trunk lid of your Eos you will see two round bumpers that are spring loaded
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarflare View Post
These bumpers are also adjustable. There's a torx screw in the center that acts like a wedge. Just unscrew it a bit and you're able to pull the bumper assembly out a few notches and then screw back in.
Thanks guys! Here are some pics to illustrate.

(1) Left bumper located on the trunk edge.
(2) I used an allen key to undo the locking screw all the way.
(3) With the screw loose, I pulled the bumper out a notch or two. (Actually I pulled it out way too far - just so you could see the ridges in the square part of the bumper. It's these ridges which lock against corresponding ridges in the body of the bumper (I guess) when you tighten the adjustment screw up again. Quite clever really.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg (1) Left bumper.jpg (13.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg (2) Allen Key Inserted.jpg (8.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg (3) Pull bumper out.jpg (9.3 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Atl; 07-22-2014 at 02:06 AM.
Atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement