Problem with roof not opening - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > Volkswagen Eos Forum > VW Eos Tech Q&A

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
lymorelynn

Default Problem with roof not opening

Hi folks. Being new here I apologise if this is in the wrong place.
I have a 2007/08 Eos bought second hand last year. I love it
It's been fine apart from the odd leak in very wet weather but I tried to open the roof the other day and nothing happens. The sun roof will still open but the top won't fold down at all. I'm just getting an error message to consult a dealer. Just want to know if that's my only option. Could it be something as simple as a fuse?
Also the outside temperature sensor doesn't appear to be working - any ideas on that?
Thanks in anticipation of some help before I spend a fortune at the garage
lymorelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
David Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymorelynn View Post
Hi folks. Being new here I apologise if this is in the wrong place.
I have a 2007/08 Eos bought second hand last year. I love it
It's been fine apart from the odd leak in very wet weather but I tried to open the roof the other day and nothing happens. The sun roof will still open but the top won't fold down at all. I'm just getting an error message to consult a dealer. Just want to know if that's my only option. Could it be something as simple as a fuse?
Also the outside temperature sensor doesn't appear to be working - any ideas on that?
Thanks in anticipation of some help before I spend a fortune at the garage
I have an 09, made for the U.S. car, so not sure it this applies to you.

On my Eos, there is a 20 amp fuse that controls the top and remote key function.

09 Eos/Tech Pkg/RNS510/Silver&Blk Leather Seats/Custom Flr Mats/Sherwood Dash Kit/K&N Air/Gentex HomeLink/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/SmartTOP/Auto Headlights/Full LED Interior Lights Including Foot Wells Front-Rear-Trunk/Under Seat Drawer/YellowTop Battery/R-Line Flat Bottom MFSW/Volk-L BlueTooth/Dash Cubby/Chrome Mirror-DoorHandle Covers/B U Camera/Trunk Spoiler.

2013 CC Sport Plus
David Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:40 PM   #3
lymorelynn

Thanks - I'll take a look at the fuses in the morning and see if there is anything obvious there. If not I guess it's a trip to the garage.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #4
Barry C.
Barry C-All

Hi Lymorelynn: As a suggestion, is the luggage cover in the boot deployed? Bear in mind also that the left hand bottom of the luggage cover, where it engages on the socket on the boot floor, also operates a switch which tells the roof that the luggage cover is in position, and so can be opened. There is a spring clip on the bottom of the luggage cover which ensures that the luggage cover remains in place. Sometimes this spring falls out. It's worth checking.
Barry C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:22 AM   #5
David Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry C. View Post
Hi Lymorelynn: As a suggestion, is the luggage cover in the boot deployed? Bear in mind also that the left hand bottom of the luggage cover, where it engages on the socket on the boot floor, also operates a switch which tells the roof that the luggage cover is in position, and so can be opened. There is a spring clip on the bottom of the luggage cover which ensures that the luggage cover remains in place. Sometimes this spring falls out. It's worth checking.
You are right except for one thing, It will not give you an error message such as what he said, " error message to consult a dealer".

It definitely sounds like a fuse or a more serious problem with the Top mechanism.

09 Eos/Tech Pkg/RNS510/Silver&Blk Leather Seats/Custom Flr Mats/Sherwood Dash Kit/K&N Air/Gentex HomeLink/Underbody LED Safety Lighting/SmartTOP/Auto Headlights/Full LED Interior Lights Including Foot Wells Front-Rear-Trunk/Under Seat Drawer/YellowTop Battery/R-Line Flat Bottom MFSW/Volk-L BlueTooth/Dash Cubby/Chrome Mirror-DoorHandle Covers/B U Camera/Trunk Spoiler.

2013 CC Sport Plus
Old 02-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
Barry C.
Barry C-All

Red face

I will have to go to the Pound Shop and get myself a new pair of reading glasses! Having re-read the article,and ref. the external temperature not working, the drivers handbook says somewhere that the roof will not open when the temperature drops to less than 5c. (I think, havent read it lately).
Could these two defects be related?
Barry C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
ppalma

Hi,
It's unlikely that low temperature will cause the roof not to open. I cannot remember any low temperature shutdown mechanism, and the roof is not supposed to communicate with the "Comfort" (A/C and stuff) system. There are usually issues with the battery voltage, since it's affected by temperature and the car may decide that it doesn't have enough "juice" to power the roof. Other than that, check you spare wheel well for water. The pump is housed there, and it sometimes drowns
ppalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
lymorelynn

Thanks for the suggestions. It's not the boot cover - I know that comes up with a different error message. Checked the fuse box but it isn't the same configuration as shown in the manual so I'm not certain of what I should be looking at. Checked the two 50amp fuses in there and both looked okay - the manual said the roof operation one is 50 amp.
I'll check the spare wheel to see if the problem is there. I hope it's not going to cost a fortune or my husband won't be too pleased, especially as I talked him into buying the Eos for me
Old 02-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #9
dravidham
dravidham

Default eos roof will not open

I had this problem 2 weeks ago, took the car back to Garage, they plugged their box of tricks into the car, and after various tests the problem was no power from the control unit (ECU) which is in the boot. car on 57 plate 6 months of a 12 month warranty, cost would have been 318 if I had to pay regards Graham
dravidham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
lymorelynn

My problem has been solved for the cost of 25!
The problem was that the temperature sensor didn't work and the roof wouldn't open because the system couldn't tell if it was below -15. A new sensor and it's all working perfectly.
Thanks for all suggestions
Old 03-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #11
Scousus maximus

Glad you got sorted for a reasonable price and thanks for the feedback, it might be helpful to another forum member one day.
Regards,
John
2.0 TDI Sport, DSG, Silver & Red Nappa, Premium protection pack, RNS 510 version C LED & BT with voice control. Rear windblocker. VAGCOM/VCDS mods (DRL's, cornering fogs, alarm chirp), custom coloured centre console. Debadged rear. Badgeless grill. Clear rear fog lens.
Scousus maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #12
GutzEOS

Default Roof not opening

Two of the last three times I tried to open the roof it stopped after the rear deck opened and just before the arm retracted from the front windshield. Took it to the dealer.They "verified concern, inspected and found the drivers side cover near the rear window catching up on the headliner section that folds back, upon inspection found one of the loops for the strings broken and causing the headliner to drop just enough to hold the flap from moving causing the top not to open. Removed and replaced top strings with re-string kit and checked for quality control, flap is now pulling back correctly and not getting stuck and top operated to spec several times". I was not able to find anyone else on the forum that had this problem but they had the parts in stock and it took about 5 hours to fix. $500 later, part covered by GEICO's breakdown insurance, it has been fixed! It is now 69 degrees outside! Why am I inside typing this?

2013 Executive with all it's goodies, Salsa red, Cornsilk interior, spoiler, Monster mats and first aid kit.

2007 2.0T Paprika red, Cornsilk, Luxury package, DSG transmission, Park Distance Control, iPod adapter, & splash guards
GutzEOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #13
Lopaka

Send a message via ICQ to Lopaka

Yes Fred,
Had my tension cables replaced under warrantee also! It is a weak point of the roof system and wears out with use.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #14
cb391
Life is good... so far

I'm going through the string thing right now. I don't know if it is frayed or stretched. It works fine on warmer days but the flaps on both sides hang up on the roof liner when it's cooler.

2007 2.0T Sport, Eismeer/Cornsilk, DSG, Enkei PF01 17" wheels w/ Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, DynAudio
cb391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #15
smith

I came across this problem very occasionally on my previous EOS. Luckily it was the flap behind the drivers seat so on the odd occasion when it would stick I just turned round and encouraged the flap to open. I did have a look at re-tensioning the string, but I seem to remember it wasn't that straight forward as the loop is crimped so I never got around to it.

The only other time was when I had a sweeping brush across the rear footwell's and it seemed to interfere with some sensors in that area until I moved it.
smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #16
kev

Default Roof stops opening message "boot lid swing out"

Hi all, just joined and yet to find out how to start a new thread, so tagged onto this one. My wife has an 09 Eos, tried to open the roof today, it gets part way through the sequence and then stops. message is "boot lid swing out" There is nothing close to the boot of the car so nothing in the way. Could not find anything on the internet, so must be rare?

So thought best to ask here if anyone has any experience or knows how to cure it.?
kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #17
Scousus maximus

Hi and welcome to the forum.
It's the sensors on the rear bumper that send the "clear/not clear" signal to the control unit so it's worth taking a close look at them first. The smallest bit of contam can give a false alarm so get right down to check.

Another cause can be water in the sensors, especially from a jet wash.
If these are okay I think you'll need to be looking at the hall sensors/sequence which could mean a dealer visit.

Try a search on here first though, you might get some more clues if you're lucky.

Regards

John
2.0 TDI Sport, DSG, Silver & Red Nappa, Premium protection pack, RNS 510 version C LED & BT with voice control. Rear windblocker. VAGCOM/VCDS mods (DRL's, cornering fogs, alarm chirp), custom coloured centre console. Debadged rear. Badgeless grill. Clear rear fog lens.
Scousus maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:32 PM   #18
smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scousus maximus View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum.
It's the sensors on the rear bumper that send the "clear/not clear" signal to the control unit so it's worth taking a close look at them first. The smallest bit of contam can give a false alarm so get right down to check.

Another cause can be water in the sensors, especially from a jet wash.
If these are okay I think you'll need to be looking at the hall sensors/sequence which could mean a dealer visit.

Try a search on here first though, you might get some more clues if you're lucky.

Regards

John
Umm, not convinced the "boot lid swings out" indicates the rear sensors have been triggered, I thought that flagged something like "obstruction" if memory serves me.

Last edited by smith; 03-30-2012 at 11:15 PM.
smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:46 AM   #19
David Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith View Post
Umm, not convinced the "boot lid swings out" indicates the rear sensors have been triggered, I thought that flagged something like "obstruction" if memory serves me.
You are right, Smith. If you are getting "boot lid swings out" it has nothing to do with the sensors. If there had been an actual obstacle, it would never have gotten that far.

2013 CC Sport Plus
Old 03-31-2012, 09:37 AM   #20
eismeerblue

When I have this problem, it is because the headliner flap is hung up on a strut. You can move it slightly and the string will pull it into position and the top will go down. I think this is a fairly common problem, some dealers are able to adjust the strings and some (like mine)can't.

Steve
eismeerblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #21
tdix2

Default Looking for advice before heading for the dealership!

I have a 2008 Lux Eos. Last year we started having problems while putting the top down, it would stop half way through its process. Took it to the dealership (it was still under warranty) and of course it wouldn't repeat it's problem. Finally while the service writer was in my car the top stopped going down and a code showed up on the dash. The service writer didn't see it (of course he wouldn't) so he sent me home. Yesterday while I was out running errands I decided to put my top down. I tried 4 times and it stopped halfway through. This time on my dash it said "Boot lid swings out" and that's where the top stopped going down. That was new. When I got home and parked it in the garage I tried putting the top down again and it still stopped when the boot lid swings out. About 5 hours later I tried it again and this time the top went down. We noticed that while we are out driving and decide to put the top down is when it won't go down. But once it's parked in the garage and the car has sat for a few hours then it'll go down. I have an appointment with the same garage Wednesday morning. If I can't go in there and tell them what I think the problem is and the top goes down for them then they will charge me for looking at my car and they'll send me home and I'll keep having the same problem. I wish I could go somewhere else but this is the only VW dealer in my area. We paid a lot of money for this car and I still love driving it but it's useless if I can't enjoy driving with the top down on nice sunny days.
tdix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #22
tdix2

Cool Boot lid is getting caught

Just found out that when the boot lid is swinging out it's getting caught on the interior flap that is folding in. Going to see what the hang up is.
tdix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:43 AM   #23
David Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdix2 View Post
Just found out that when the boot lid is swinging out it's getting caught on the interior flap that is folding in. Going to see what the hang up is.
First of all, welcome to our forum and we hope to hear from you often as you learn how to wend your way through it. We hope you will contribute as well.

There is a lot of knowledge on this forum , so be sure to read through some of the threads to learn a lot about your car.

As you probably noticed, "eismeerblue" posted a few weeks before you did, answering your question and basically, solving your problem.

Let us know if the dealership is going to correct this problem for you and the final outcome.

2013 CC Sport Plus

Last edited by David Paul; 05-19-2012 at 04:55 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #24
4Play
2007 EOS 2.0 FSI 150 bhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutzEOS View Post
Two of the last three times I tried to open the roof it stopped after the rear deck opened and just before the arm retracted from the front windshield. Took it to the dealer.They "verified concern, inspected and found the drivers side cover near the rear window catching up on the headliner section that folds back, upon inspection found one of the loops for the strings broken and causing the headliner to drop just enough to hold the flap from moving causing the top not to open. Removed and replaced top strings with re-string kit and checked for quality control, flap is now pulling back correctly and not getting stuck and top operated to spec several times". I was not able to find anyone else on the forum that had this problem but they had the parts in stock and it took about 5 hours to fix. $500 later, part covered by GEICO's breakdown insurance, it has been fixed! It is now 69 degrees outside! Why am I inside typing this?
Hi Fred
I have the same problem as u had i think.
When opening the roof, the rear trunk opens but then nothing happens...
That's the moment when the 2 roof arms should come loose from the front wind screen.
I really have no idea what to do as i am not such a fantast at english because i'm from Belgium
I think it will be a trip to the garage i guess.
Thx anyways

Grtz Bert
4Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #25
Cornelia

Hi, I have a 2007 eos and as I was putting the top up, it closed completely except the sliding glass of the sun roof didn't close. I tried to use the button, it moves a bit but doesn't close. Checked for obstructions and tried the reset but still open...ideas? The display also prompts me to close sliding glass. Thx
Cornelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement