Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

2009 Eos Front Speakers Died

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  voxmagna 
#1 ·
Hi,
Not sure if you've seen this before. My OEM audio was working fine when the front channels suddenly died. Works fine with fader turned to rear, but when turned to front I am only getting faint sound out of the small speaker on the passenger door.

Took off the door panels and tried alternately disconnecting speakers to see if there might be a short causing situation. Did notice that the cone of the large speaker on the driver driver door was popped outward. I popped it back in and there is now a slight rubbing noise when I manually move the cone in and out.

I can replace that speaker, but am concerned that the head unit may be damaged. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Speakers are an easy enough change. It would be an odd happening for both front speakers set to go out at the same time. Could be a head end unit or a wiring issue. Not knowing which system you have, might not be a bad idea to have it checked by a pro.

#4 ·
Do you have Dynaudio or the standard Philips speakers? The early Dynaudio amplifiers were good at blowing woofers.

#6 ·
Good point - the design of this is known to be a weak spot in the pre-facelift Eos (it was re-designed for later models).

You can also remove the rubber boot to look at the state of the wires - on the body side of the car there is a clip that you move away from the bundle of wires to release it, then you can pull it back and see if there are breaks in the wires - or, if you're feeling thorough, take the door card off, get your multimeter and check the wire continuity.

But massaging the wires is a good start to the process :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.