10' 2.0 tdi - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > Volkswagen Eos Forum > Eos Photos & Videos

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-26-2019, 03:23 PM   #1
7-ElevenCoffee

Default 10' 2.0 tdi

I still remember my dad getting this 10' EOS 2.0 TDI in Reflex Silver when it was new from the showroom floor, 9 years ago. I am now fortunate enough to drive it, so I am enjoying these warm autumn days with the roof open as much as possible in Sydney, Australia!

I gave the car a full detail, in addition to adding the chrome grill.

I am considering a few simple modifications which I estimate to cost approximately $2,000 AUD, such as:
- ECU tune,
- re-spraying the wheels gloss black,
- sports springs.

I can't decide if this, or simply maintaining the car as is, is the way to go.

Regards,

7/11
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3893.jpg (196.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4260.jpg (151.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg C4F4D408-41E3-4093-89DC-F9C637E75980.jpg (192.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3815.jpg (196.4 KB, 42 views)
7-ElevenCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2019, 08:41 PM   #2
Batjes

Nice! And nice pictures!
Old 05-27-2019, 12:10 AM   #3
EosSydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-ElevenCoffee View Post
I still remember my dad getting this 10' EOS 2.0 TDI in Reflex Silver when it was new from the showroom floor, 9 years ago. I am now fortunate enough to drive it, so I am enjoying these warm autumn days with the roof open as much as possible in Sydney, Australia!

I gave the car a full detail, in addition to adding the chrome grill.

I am considering a few simple modifications which I estimate to cost approximately $2,000 AUD, such as:
- ECU tune,
- re-spraying the wheels gloss black,
- sports springs.

I can't decide if this, or simply maintaining the car as is, is the way to go.

Regards,

7/11
Such a great time of year to be driving with the roof down in Sydney isn't it?

My first Eos was an 09 Reflex Silver 147 TFSI, looked identical to yours, very nice indeed. As for mods, tune yep, sports springs yep, black wheels a big no from me but of course it's your choice, everyone has different taste.

Cheers

George
EosSydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2019, 06:16 AM   #4
7-ElevenCoffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by EosSydney View Post
Such a great time of year to be driving with the roof down in Sydney isn't it?

My first Eos was an 09 Reflex Silver 147 TFSI, looked identical to yours, very nice indeed. As for mods, tune yep, sports springs yep, black wheels a big no from me but of course it's your choice, everyone has different taste.

Cheers

George
100% agreed, I think autumn is a great time to drive with the roof open!

As for the ECU tune, do you think it's worth $1,000+ AUD? (especially on a 2.0 TDI, which isn't exactly a "performance" engine)

I am relatively new to this, just picking things up as I go

Regards,

7/11
Old 05-27-2019, 09:19 AM   #5
silvershadow
Ageing Revhead/Moderator

Quote:

As for the ECU tune, do you think it's worth $1,000+ AUD? (especially on a 2.0 TDI, which isn't exactly a "performance" engine)

7/11
With due respect, before you consider any engine mods - what transmission do you have; manual or DSG?

Have you driven a diesel car before the Eos?

The reason for these questions is a diesel engine has vastly different power characteristics compared to a petrol engine and you have to adjust your driving techniques accordingly.

Diesels have a lot of low-down torque compared to a petrol engine and accordingly do not require high rpm to get performance so revving the engine out in each gear before changing will disappoint you greatly. If you have a DSG, the transmission settings are matched to the engine torque characterics so you just use the accelerator and the transmission will select the right gear for maximum acceleration consequent to the pedal position. If you have a manual transmission, the secret is to change up early [3000/3500rpm] so the engine is running around 1500rpm in the next gear and repeat so you get the benefit of the low down torque for acceleration.

Remember the basics of engine performance; torque is for acceleration, power is for maximum speed. A well-driven diesel with an experienced driver will upstage an equivalent petrol engine car on any road journey plus have better fuel economy due to the higher energy content of diesel. fuel
Carer for my partner's Eos 2.0 TDI DSG MY09 Australian specification - Candy White/Cornsilk Beige leather trim. As at April 2019, I still haven't driven HER car. Her 14 year old grand-daughter has now staked a claim for future ownership when my partner is no longer capable of driving. .

Last edited by silvershadow; 05-27-2019 at 09:21 AM.
silvershadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:47 AM   #6
lstic

Beautiful!
I like your chrome grill, can you link the thing you used to do it? I'd like to give it a try on my Eos.
lstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:56 PM   #7
7-ElevenCoffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstic View Post
Beautiful!
I like your chrome grill, can you link the thing you used to do it? I'd like to give it a try on my Eos.
I sure can 🙂

http://www.globalautoshop.com/access...rome_grill.htm

I selected the “Made in Germany” Upper & Lower Chrome Grill Combo.

I will say though (as the website doesn’t really specify), these are simply chrome strips which you measure/cut to fit the existing plastic slats in the grill.

Regards,

7/11
Old 05-27-2019, 02:18 PM   #8
7-ElevenCoffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvershadow View Post
Quote:

7/11
With due respect, before you consider any engine mods - what transmission do you have; manual or DSG?

Have you driven a diesel car before the Eos?

The reason for these questions is a diesel engine has vastly different power characteristics compared to a petrol engine and you have to adjust your driving techniques accordingly.

Diesels have a lot of low-down torque compared to a petrol engine and accordingly do not require high rpm to get performance so revving the engine out in each gear before changing will disappoint you greatly. If you have a DSG, the transmission settings are matched to the engine torque characterics so you just use the accelerator and the transmission will select the right gear for maximum acceleration consequent to the pedal position. If you have a manual transmission, the secret is to change up early [3000/3500rpm] so the engine is running around 1500rpm in the next gear and repeat so you get the benefit of the low down torque for acceleration.

Remember the basics of engine performance; torque is for acceleration, power is for maximum speed. A well-driven diesel with an experienced driver will upstage an equivalent petrol engine car on any road journey plus have better fuel economy due to the higher energy content of diesel. fuel
Thanks for your response, appreciate it!

I drive a DSG, and have driven quite a few diesels (and petrols too).

I understand the ways in which diesel differs from petrol, I guess what I meant with regards to my question was given the fact that diesels aren’t as “performance” oriented as petrols, are they really worth tuning as a means of increasing performance?

I forgot to mention that I enquired with a tuning company, who claim the 2.0 TDI is easily re-mapped from stock (103 kW, 320 Nm) to 136 kW, 395 Nm.

I am definitely interested in this significant increase in torque, I am just wondering if it’s worthwhile spending $1,000 AUD on an increase of 33 kW, 75 Nm?

Regards,

7/11
Old 05-27-2019, 10:43 PM   #9
silvershadow
Ageing Revhead/Moderator

7/11,

Unless you do a lot of country trips and need additional acceleration to pass "B-Doubles" in overtaking lanes, I couldn't justify the extra cost. My partner's TDI doesn't have any problems in this regard and our major problem is with other cars in front not having the same acceleration capabilities.

I cannot see the benfits of gthis expense for a car mainly used in city traffic.
Carer for my partner's Eos 2.0 TDI DSG MY09 Australian specification - Candy White/Cornsilk Beige leather trim. As at April 2019, I still haven't driven HER car. Her 14 year old grand-daughter has now staked a claim for future ownership when my partner is no longer capable of driving. .
Old 05-29-2019, 06:35 AM   #10
midician
South Australian Owner

Did anyone feel there was an improvement in driving feel after the Dieselgate emissions fix? I certainly did!
Old 05-29-2019, 07:34 AM   #11
silvershadow
Ageing Revhead/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by midician View Post
Did anyone feel there was an improvement in driving feel after the Dieselgate emissions fix? I certainly did!
I gave our servicing dealer a written instruction not to update the engine management system when the recall applied and gave an indemnity to say we would accept full responsibility for the consequences and that if this instruction was ignored, we would hold the dealer responsible for any adverse consequences and the documentation would be tendered as evidence in any court action that might arise in future.

Our MY09 TDI was already one step ahead of the then-current ADR specifications and thus compliant with the rules at the time the car was registered. This compliance remains in force for the life of the car.

Nothing has changed especially the fuel economy as I understand the engine management changes for " dieselgate" had a noticeable effect on fuel economy. Our driving is 100% highway for distances in excess of 100kM with minimal stop-start city driving so the DPF is purged constantly.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:42 AM   #12
voxmagna

As I understand it dieselgate modifications to the ECU only applied to the later E189 engines NOT the older BMM or BM* engines which were one level below the EU emission standard compared to 2012.

The BM series diesels were relatively simple on emissions hardware which makes them generally reliable, but you couldn't modify one to meet the newer 2012 common rail engine standards. Those diesel engines have a 4 letter code starting with 'C' e.g CBDB, CFHA, CFHC.

IMHO the only 'soft' tune worth doing involving least hassle, lower engine stress and no parts removal is Stage 1 which moves the HP from 135 to 175. But the real benefit is a more consistent fuel economy of 55-62 UK mpg. Don't go down the road of dpf removal etc which may make your car fail inspection tests.

The early BM series diesels didn't use Bosch protected tri-core ECUs and could be reflashed through the OBD port. Cheapest route is the Chinese OBD port flasher dongle, read your existing ECU code to save a flash file, then upload it to one of the many 'trusted & reviewed' websites for a tune. You can do all that for about 50 and get back the modified file via email. Please do your own research and don't ask me for a how to as there are plenty of tuning websites around. Going to a tuning firm with a flashy website will cost you a lot more, unless you want the Rolls-Royce rolling road type of tune, but remember you have a diesel not a high performance racer.

If your car has the later 'C' code diesel it will have a Bosch protected tri-core ECU which may have to be removed from the car. The cheapest option is tracked mail order to a bench tuning firm and get your OE tuned ECU back by mail.

The pitfall with any ECU tune other than an external OBD dongle, is dealers will often reflash with their factory code when you put your car in for service and this wipes your tune and money spent. You therefore avoid stealers and either DIY or use independents for servicing. Older BM series engines are great because you always keep your tuning dongle and files to recover a tune if it ever gets wiped - e.g wifey unknowingly puts your car into a dealer for a repair whilst you are away? I haven't confirmed if the older non-tricore ECUs have been patched with a later Stealer reflash to make it harder to retune through the OBDII port.

The bigest problem with the recall is they made the system work as it should have done and parts that for years and miles have been getting gummed and coked up, don't work for long after the dieselgate fix. Owners then complain the fix caused expensive faults when their engine emission parts were not 'clean' before the fix.

The other consequence is the dpf regenerates more often and if you are a low mileage city driver, the dpf regeneration cycle needing about 20 minutes, aborts early and never completes. The engine fan control (part of the mod.) will keep the fans on a long time every time you stop and park, even in cold weather.

Last edited by voxmagna; 05-29-2019 at 10:50 AM.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:28 PM   #13
7-ElevenCoffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna View Post

The pitfall with any ECU tune other than an external OBD dongle, is dealers will often reflash with their factory code when you put your car in for service and this wipes your tune and money spent.
I didn't even think of this l.

I probably won't tune my ECU, not only are the gains minimal for the 2.0 TDI, I am not willing to risk VW removing an expensive re-map when the car gets taken in for service.

If I get sports springs, any ideas which type of shop is usually the go-to for fitting them? I am thinking either an independent mechanic or a tyre/wheel shop, although, maybe I am wrong in assuming that?

Regards,

7/11
Old 05-29-2019, 07:25 PM   #14
voxmagna

You will find most tuning shops make promises to hold your remap files and replace the map if something like a dealer reflash happens. But you rely on them staying in business, honoring their promise without charge and being around when you need them.

Personally I want to keep an original OE map and a tuned map on my own storage. As I explained, this is fine for the older BM* engine ECUs, but to DIY your own bench flash for later ECUs without heartache you need to learn about Alientech kit. My advice to anybody having a firm do an ECU tune is to come away with your original and modified binary files stored on a memory stick.

There's another appealing way but not often discussed: Later ECUs can be tuned via the OBD port using secret dealer access codes and kit. But a Chinese smarty came up with a custom dongle plug you plug in to OBDII, sit back for 3 minutes watching flashing leds, pray to your God then when it's finished try starting your car. Unfortunately, they soon realised 1 dongle could tune many cars so they made it vehicle VIN specific on first use, with a limit to the number of reflash lives.

I don't do much customizing. I have an EOS Sport TDi and the front is already low enogh to scrape kerbs. I do know the front OE springs are thicker and a unique part number for the Sport version.

Last edited by voxmagna; 05-29-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:21 AM   #15
Virgil42

Looks lovely! I had to sell mine and moved to Montenegro 2 years ago, man I really miss that car! It was the time when property prices in Montenegro dropped ridiculously, so I decided to sell it and buy a nice villa instead. However I bought a 1.4 TSI recently and I am now fortunate enough to drive it in the streets of this cute European city.

Moderator Comment: I suggest due caution be exercised regarding opening the included link as I have concerns this may be SPAM. Why would the content of this post be directed towards real estate and not the Eos???

Last edited by silvershadow; 06-06-2019 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Add Warning
Virgil42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:14 PM   #16
voxmagna

Quote:
I probably won't tune my ECU, not only are the gains minimal for the 2.0 TDI
IMHO I'd disgree. +40Hp and more mpg keeping all stock mechanicals is not too aggressive and not to be sneezed at. The EOS TDi becomes a different driving experience and you won't go back, particularly when you can regularly see 60+ mpg! The risk of a dealer reflash back to stock is something that can be managed.

Compare all the EOS model HP outputs and mpg including the gasoline models. 180 BHp is fair dinkum and getting close to the 200Hp 2l gasolene TFSI, but with superior diesel fuel economy.

https://www.ultimatespecs.com/car-sp...wagen/M338/Eos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement