Navigation SD card location? - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > VW Eos Owners Community > Regional Sections > U.S. > Midwest

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:04 PM   #1
MysticalDreams

Default Navigation SD card location?

Last week my navigation system started to not work. Every time I started the car it said to insert the navigation disc. I thought it wanted the DVD which I am not sure where it is anymore...

I called the dealer to find out when the new DVD is released. If I need to buy a new one, I want the newest one, not last years maps. They said No, it wants me to put in a new SD card. OK?!?! Where is that located? The 1st dealership, where I bought my car, wouldn't tell me but they were willing to charge me almost $200 for it!!!

The 2nd Dealership, where I take my car more often since it is closer, the service department was closed for the day. But I talked to someone in Sales and they told me the SD card may have just popped out and all I would need to do it pop it back in. GREAT!! So I looked in the glovebox where he told me to look. I looked all over and I never found it :/

Monday morning I get in my car and it's not telling me to insert the disc. I checked the Nav and it is working just fine...

I don't know if while I was looking everywhere it popped itself back in or what!

Where is this lil SD card located? I never found it and now it has me curious!

How People Treat You Is Their Karma
How You React Is Your Karma
MysticalDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2019, 05:33 PM   #2
mickjane2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDreams View Post
Last week my navigation system started to not work. Every time I started the car it said to insert the navigation disc. I thought it wanted the DVD which I am not sure where it is anymore...

I called the dealer to find out when the new DVD is released. If I need to buy a new one, I want the newest one, not last years maps. They said No, it wants me to put in a new SD card. OK?!?! Where is that located? The 1st dealership, where I bought my car, wouldn't tell me but they were willing to charge me almost $200 for it!!!

The 2nd Dealership, where I take my car more often since it is closer, the service department was closed for the day. But I talked to someone in Sales and they told me the SD card may have just popped out and all I would need to do it pop it back in. GREAT!! So I looked in the glovebox where he told me to look. I looked all over and I never found it :/

Monday morning I get in my car and it's not telling me to insert the disc. I checked the Nav and it is working just fine...

I don't know if while I was looking everywhere it popped itself back in or what!

Where is this lil SD card located? I never found it and now it has me curious!
It all depends on your Nav unit, the RNS 315 has an SD card slot in the lower front and the only way to upgrade maps is by SD card. The RNS 510 doesn't have an SD card but does upgrade software and maps by DVD, hope this helps.

Mick
2010 Deep Black Pearl SE 2.0 tdi dsg xenons Full electric black leather seats Folding mirrors with chrome covers 18x8j alloys front fogs, Door projector lenses LED footwell lights OEM RNS 510 + bluetooth and Media interface, OEM front and rear mud flaps Sport pedals and dead pedal LED mirror puddle lights and front side lights 35mm lowered springs LED rear number plate lamps.

2018 Tiguan 2.0 TSI DSG SEL Deep Black Pearl.

First EOS 2008 Silver 2.0 FSI DSG sport.
mickjane2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:50 PM   #3
MysticalDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjane2 View Post
It all depends on your Nav unit, the RNS 315 has an SD card slot in the lower front and the only way to upgrade maps is by SD card. The RNS 510 doesn't have an SD card but does upgrade software and maps by DVD, hope this helps.

Mick
Yes and No...
I have the RNS510 (I should have included that info)
If the only way to install/update the maps is with a DVD, why was it not working all weekend? What made it start working again? Just odd!!

Thanks for the reply...

How People Treat You Is Their Karma
How You React Is Your Karma
MysticalDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2019, 10:38 AM   #4
aku-aku

No idea why it would stop working in that way - it may just have needed rebooting.

What you have learnt from this, though, is that both dealers have absolutely no clue about the cars they are supposed to support, or how to identify the version of equipment a customer has, or how to diagnose an issue. At least for the infotainment systems
aku-aku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:44 PM   #5
voxmagna

These things are like laptops and PCs. Sometimes they don't boot properly, give errors or worst case blue Screens of Death! Memory cards and internal memory can fail slowly or quickly, or they may get too hot. You aren't using a military grade certified product or something tested to fly a jumbo jet!

If a boot errors occur they often leads to corrupted code or saved data which causes the same problem next reboot. Your previous nav settings, favorites and location are usually stored in persistent memory. Unlike a laptop or PC, the manufacturer hides the background processing and you may get no on screen information of what's going on. It probably is there, but there will be V.W proprietary sequences and diagnostics to get it on screen. That's what they charge the $200 for! People forget that in vehicle manufacturer satnavs may use old slower processors, unlike aftermarket Android units. When you input a map address search or new route they use the last known location co-ordinates which requires less map data to be processed. If you disable your satnav, drive a few hundred miles then do a route search, you will find out how slow your unit is because it has to re-load the full map dataset to resync itself. A similar thing happens if you select highest map detail - a lot more data needs processing and you may get a blank screen for a long time whilst it parses data in the background. They should show a progress bar letting you know to just be patient until it finishes, but emphasizing slow speed isn't good marketing!

Some people clone their SD memory cards and forget they need a fast X10 speed card aka digital video camera type.

If you try doing multiple shared tasks simultaneously like map route searching, MP3 playback and BT phone, the processor may max out? Temperature is another factor: When the unit is cold its processor will be fastest, but as it gets hotter, its processor speed will reduce for protection and become slower - they hope you won't notice this! Some of these vehicle units are using 550Mhz processors when a sustained 1.2-2 Ghz is needed for highest map detail and fast screen updates.

I would look for a button action that can do a clean reboot if documented? Disconnecting the battery power for 1/2 hour may fix some things. If the Nav program and maps are on a memory card or stick, I would see if a Windoze check disk utility can check the format and confirm no errors. Map files on a memory card can be huge and any data corruption can slow or stop it working. They usually use either Windoze readable FAT16/32 or Linux flavour EXT. The size of a map file and its coverage gives a clue as to the map detail which might explain why a satnav may be slow. If you installed a map for all the USA states it would be convenient but take longer to load and process once the nav forgets where you are. If you do mainly local driving, a map subset of just 1 or 2 states should work faster.

Whole territory and local territory map subsets are available for 3rd party nav, but I don't know about V.W proprietary? E.g I can use either a Europe wide map of all countries and many Gbytes, or a subset for U.K with the same detail which is 0.5Gb and makes my Android nav faster and more responsive.

Last edited by voxmagna; 06-20-2019 at 02:49 PM.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:45 AM   #6
aku-aku

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna View Post
These things are like laptops and PCs. Sometimes they don't boot properly, give errors or worst case blue Screens of Death! Memory cards and internal memory can fail slowly or quickly, or they may get too hot. You aren't using a military grade certified product or something tested to fly a jumbo jet!
Yep. On the RNS510 the hard drive may be on the way out; reinstalling the firmware and maps may help. Of course, if it's the hard drive model, replacing it with an SSD would make it much faster
aku-aku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:06 AM   #7
voxmagna

Already done that on a couple of laptops after finding out that leaving them in a very hot closed up holiday flat during Summer kills hard drives. Opened up the drives and the delicate plastic parts supporting the flying heads were distorted from heat.

Not sure about speeds? Read is usually o.k but write can be slower. In older devices the drive controllers are optimised for mechanical hard drive SATA not SSD when you can usually expect up to 130 Mb/S sustained transfer speeds. With an affordable SSD I doubt you will get that, but reliability and no susceptibility to shock in a car is a definite plus. I think speed will be determined by memory and processor? But if they cheap out on memory size, the drive will be doing more work.

I'm using an oldish aftermarket head unit and I know I can play with it, but I wouldn't be surprised if V.W units had encrypted data partitions and software security.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement