Rear passenger axle - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > Volkswagen Eos Forum > VW Eos Q&A

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:55 AM   #1
DrEos

Default Rear passenger axle

This event just occurred so I can update it accordingly. I was staying at the cabins in an amusement park and pulled out to inadvertently clip one of those giant rocks that people place in the grass (to keep people from driving on it, ironically). Anyways, I did damage to the tire and that will be replaced but it looks like my axle is bent. Does anyone have experiences with replacing axles, cost and components? It’s a 2008 turbo. CV joints could be affected, possibly brakes, frame? Let me know thoughts. My brother backed into a tree with his 2016 Corolla (with a back up camera) and it was 8,600$ to repair but they had to weld the frame.
DrEos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2019, 01:30 PM   #2
Andy tsi eos

Hi there

Hopefully you've only bent/snapped some of these components and not the chassis.

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single...3723238/lang/e
2.0 TDI Sport 2007.5. Black with red Napa leather. Cruise Control. Wind Deflector. RNS310 GPS Radio running Version 10 maps. Warning Triangle. MTEC dimpled and grooved front discs. Now on Avon ZV7 tyres all round. LED licence plate lights.
Andy tsi eos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:24 AM   #3
mickjane2

The rear suspension parts are usually a lot weaker than the chassis so you would most likely have bent the lower arm as it's pressed steel and maybe a tie rod. Best get it checked by a reputable garage with a laser tracker to make sure it's all ok IMHO.

Mick
2010 Deep Black Pearl SE 2.0 tdi dsg xenons Full electric black leather seats Folding mirrors with chrome covers 18x8j alloys front fogs, Door projector lenses LED footwell lights OEM RNS 510 + bluetooth and Media interface, OEM front and rear mud flaps Sport pedals and dead pedal LED mirror puddle lights and front side lights 35mm lowered springs LED rear number plate lamps.

2018 Tiguan 2.0 TSI DSG SEL Deep Black Pearl.

First EOS 2008 Silver 2.0 FSI DSG sport.
mickjane2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2019, 06:32 AM   #4
DrEos

Thanks guys! This is all valuable information. It looks like the axel is bent. I took the tire off and took it to Tireman ... it’s a snow tire, don’t ask and they are not covered by the road hazard warranty so I have to buy a new one outright. Here is the car with the tire off. The mechanic said they probably won’t be able to bend it back in place, but they will be able to look at it and let me know tomorrow.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
voxmagna

Nobody in their right mind should suggest 'bending back' such an important suspension part! Even if they were just thinking about it, I wouldn't put a lot of trust in them. Tire shops change tires and batteries, measure and adjust but they don't normally have the skills or business risk insurance to carry out serious body repairs on a vehicle structure. I would question their claims of mechanical competence for this type of work?

The distortion is clearly visible and there is no doubt there is misalignment. A 4 wheel laser alignment would confirm that, but I would get the work done by a proper body repair shop and not a tire shop. How much do you value the lives of yourself and passengers?

So here's their scenario:

They try to bend distorted parts, weaken them and put your lives at future risk?
They replace parts with new and you hope they know and follow the correct factory procedures since all their torque wrenches are adjusted for tire lugs.
When they carry out a 4 wheel laser alignment check (If they have the test bay to do it?) they find the alignment is way off and bodywork has to be straightened? Either they brush over their results take your money and leave you to find uneven tire wear or steering pull later on, or they have to hand over the rest of the job to an accident body repair shop who should really know what they are doing?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:48 AM   #6
silvershadow
Ageing Revhead/Moderator

DrEos,

100% support from me for Voxmagna's advice above.

The insurance and personal liability risks involved for you are huge if your vehicle is subsequently involved in a accident or, worse still, a fatality after inappropriate damage repairs.

Get the repairs done by a properly accredited mechanical repair shop.
Carer for my partner's Eos 2.0 TDI DSG MY09 Australian specification - Candy White/Cornsilk Beige leather trim. As at April 2019, I still haven't driven HER car. Her 14 year old grand-daughter has now staked a claim for future ownership when my partner is no longer capable of driving. .
silvershadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:29 PM   #7
SALBERS

Question Why

I'm wondering why no one suggests taking the car to their VW dealer?
SALBERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:27 PM   #8
mickjane2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALBERS View Post

Probably due to cost a stealer will be a lot dearer than a good indie IMHO

Mick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 Deep Black Pearl SE 2.0 tdi dsg xenons Full electric black leather seats Folding mirrors with chrome covers 18x8j alloys front fogs, Door projector lenses LED footwell lights OEM RNS 510 + bluetooth and Media interface, OEM front and rear mud flaps Sport pedals and dead pedal LED mirror puddle lights and front side lights 35mm lowered springs LED rear number plate lamps.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:32 PM   #9
voxmagna

It's the anonymity of the internet my friend. Questions and replies take no account of the knowledge or skills of those seeking help. As threads evolve, it can become more obvious that vehicle and passenger safety may be compromised by somebody getting the wrong advice or doing the wrong thing. Then this is the correct reply whether it's the dealer involved or not::
Quote:
Get the repairs done by a properly accredited mechanical repair shop:
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:44 AM   #10
DrEos

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna View Post
Nobody in their right mind should suggest 'bending back' such an important suspension part! Even if they were just thinking about it, I wouldn't put a lot of trust in them. Tire shops change tires and batteries, measure and adjust but they don't normally have the skills or business risk insurance to carry out serious body repairs on a vehicle structure. I would question their claims of mechanical competence for this type of work?

The distortion is clearly visible and there is no doubt there is misalignment. A 4 wheel laser alignment would confirm that, but I would get the work done by a proper body repair shop and not a tire shop. How much do you value the lives of yourself and passengers?

So here's their scenario:

They try to bend distorted parts, weaken them and put your lives at future risk?
They replace parts with new and you hope they know and follow the correct factory procedures since all their torque wrenches are adjusted for tire lugs.
When they carry out a 4 wheel laser alignment check (If they have the test bay to do it?) they find the alignment is way off and bodywork has to be straightened? Either they brush over their results take your money and leave you to find uneven tire wear or steering pull later on, or they have to hand over the rest of the job to an accident body repair shop who should really know what they are doing?
Thanks for the insight, I am a n00b! I don't know the schematics of mechanics.

It's called "Frank's coach and carriage." I typo-ed by calling it a body shop. Sorry! But there were three components, one being the control arm that needed to be replaced. They were able to buy it in a kit to help reduce the costs. You were correct, I did get a wheel alignment as well. So was ~900$ out the door. Now I'm back to topless driving albiet in 95 degree Cleveland heat. At least the a/c on these babies is fool proof.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:46 AM   #11
DrEos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALBERS View Post
I have, in fact I was only taking my car to the VW dealer until they told me that a part on my hard top was misaligned. That it needed a new sensor. It set me back a cook 350$ and it still gave me problems. Of course, no VW dealer will give you your money back and they wanted another 50$ just to evaluate it again. What happens in the heat is the side covers for the hard top get stuck on the strings that hold the interior of the top in place. The dealer literally told me to just manually manipulate the side cover to open to allow the top to open by itself.

Fool me once...
Old 07-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #12
mickjane2

I found this on youtube, it might help if this is your problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFv7_fyrVDI

Mick

Old 07-25-2019, 09:01 AM   #13
DrEos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjane2 View Post
I found this on youtube, it might help if this is your problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFv7_fyrVDI

Mick
Thanks, Mick. I will try this when I get home. Aside from the accent which I can't stand it is a very helpful video. Love my brits tho!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement