Additives - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > Volkswagen Eos Forum > VW Eos Tech Q&A > Engine & Drivetrain

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:10 AM   #1
Taffieboy1

Default Additives

Have recently got an EOS, had BMW coupe diesel previous an used to put stuff is as short journeys, dpf etc. The EOS is the 2.0 FSI petrol, does anyone put stuff into their fuels at all on these or just the top range fuels can find. Thanks to all.
Taffieboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2019, 07:10 AM   #2
Batjes

Just top range fuel.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:23 PM   #3
RobSlaterFSI

Hi
I add bg44k every year as well as 99 octane fuel (shell)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
RobSlaterFSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2019, 05:35 AM   #4
doregan

Video on Chevron's Techron additive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8i9qftqKNY

Not impressed.
1968 VW Type 3 fastback - traded for
1974 Mercury Capri 2800
1981 VW Diesel Pickup traded for
1984 Audi 4000S 2-Dr (only one I have ever seen)
1974 Karmann Ghia vert (sold 12/18)
2007 Eos base 6-spd, Red w/black interior (2/19)
doregan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #5
voxmagna

Change your driving and maintenance habit:

Keep the tacho above 2k around town (probably mostly third gear!) and change the oil sooner e.g every 6K. No need for expensive longlife, but do use VW approved oil. If you start getting engine fans on after stopping you need a 20 minute run above 40mph for the dpf regen. to complete.

I put in an additive in 1/4 tank of diesel fuel about once per year then give the engine a 30 minute run at 60mph with revs over 3k.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:06 PM   #6
Shep

[QUOTE=voxmagna;231128]Change your driving and maintenance habit:

Keep the tacho above 2k around town (probably mostly third gear!) and change the oil sooner e.g every 6K. No need for expensive longlife, but do use VW approved oil. If you start getting engine fans on after stopping you need a 20 minute run above 40mph for the dpf regen. to complete.

I put in an additive in 1/4 tank of diesel fuel about once per year then give the engine a 30 minute run at 60mph with revs over 3k.[/QUOTE Would that apply to a petrol engine.
Being a direct injection the valves never see the fuel to wash the valve, and carbon built up of the valves seems inevitable in higher mileage cars.
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:12 PM   #7
cb391
Life is good... so far

You could use fuel additives. The only effect will be to your wallet.

2007 2.0T Sport, Eismeer/Cornsilk, DSG, Enkei PF01 17" wheels w/ Michelin AS/3 tires, DynAudio
cb391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:53 PM   #8
voxmagna

[QUOTE=Shep;231132]
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna View Post
Change your driving and maintenance habit:

I put in an additive in 1/4 tank of diesel fuel about once per year then give the engine a 30 minute run at 60mph with revs over 3k.[/QUOTE Would that apply to a petrol engine.
Being a direct injection the valves never see the fuel to wash the valve, and carbon built up of the valves seems inevitable in higher mileage cars.
My comment on driving style is specifically for diesel (the OPs question) with dpf filter.

A gasolene engine with modern fuels burns much cleaner and generally is working at higher rpm than diesel. But only when running at its normal engine temperature without faults in the emissions system causing rich mixture burn and low mpg. Modern VW spec. oils are low sulphur and ash, but it's worth researching the ash content of different brands of engine oil sometime.

A gasolene engine is not filtering exhaust like the diesel but its CAT needs to be kept at a high temperature to be effective. CATs can be 'poisoned' by bad fuel or the wrong oil and is one reason why VW have recommend their own oil specs.

I used an additive in a gasolene engine when I had a marginal CAT performance fail annual test. I was sceptical about it and was surprised when emissions levels dropped 25% after using it and retesting. So a bottle of the stuff saved my about 500 and I repeated using it the following year. If you shell out on a few litres of industrial alcohol spirit added to a 1/4 tank of gasolene, you can achive a similar reduction in emission output!

After some research I discovered the main ingredient of these additives is Xylol which helps raise exhaust temperature to burn off carbon. O.k there are other things in the proprietary additive cleaners they don't reveal. Xylol (Xylene) is used as a thinner for many paints. I've added some to both diesel and gasolene injection fuel tanks with no adverse affects, but try it at your own risk!
Old 07-08-2019, 10:12 PM   #9
davery

Anyone ever use this?

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...69597-2280.pdf

If so, did it have any effect?
I have a convertible problem.
davery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:19 PM   #10
voxmagna

Interesting. In UK we probably have better fuel, 95 RON for the regular stuff, 98 if you pay more and I think it's E5 which is 5% Ethanol. Bio fuels are not loved and V.W warn not to use them on their fuel caps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement