Advertisements - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > VW Eos Owners Community > VWEosclub.com Site Issues & Website Help

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:12 AM   #1
eismeerblue

Default Advertisements

Too many and too intrusive. If the ads continue to punch their way into the posts, I will have to drop out. I never buy anything from these ads. I know this is how you pay to the site, but it is too much. Steve
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2019, 09:38 AM   #2
paul_c

What adverts?
paul_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:12 PM   #3
Administrator
Administrator

Thank you for your feedback on the advertising layout. We aim to integrate the ads in the most seamless way to ensure that it does not block content and can be easily scrolled past if the offer or product is not something of interest to you.

While the complete removal of ads is difficult, ads help support the cost of operating the community, we are always looking at ways to optimize the balance between advertising and content. If there is a large amount of community interest in it, we can also begin working with our development teams to introduce a new premium membership for purchase that will allow members to view the site ad-free. For now, please let us know if any ads are too obtrusive or offensive so we can work to make the forum more enjoyable.

-Gerrit

Old 10-16-2019, 12:33 AM   #4
silvershadow
Ageing Revhead/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
Thank you for your feedback on the advertising layout. We aim to integrate the ads in the most seamless way to ensure that it does not block content and can be easily scrolled past if the offer or product is not something of interest to you.

While the complete removal of ads is difficult, ads help support the cost of operating the community, we are always looking at ways to optimize the balance between advertising and content. If there is a large amount of community interest in it, we can also begin working with our development teams to introduce a new premium membership for purchase that will allow members to view the site ad-free. For now, please let us know if any ads are too obtrusive or offensive so we can work to make the forum more enjoyable.

-Gerrit

As a long-time voluntary [and I believe only current] Moderator of this forum for close to 11 years, I have been happy to provide the time and effort involved in doing this as my contribution to the Eos community.

I have also been a member of other forums which have gone down the route of unavoidable paid advertising content in the forum. It is my experience this has lead to a serious decline in use through loss of contributors especially those with the experience and knowledge they formerly took the time and effort involved to freely share with other members. In some cases, the forums have closed down as a consequence.

I also moderate another car-related forum which functions internationally and, fortunately, is funded by a philanthropic family associated with the Australian car club who originally established the forum as a service to the world-wide enthusiast community for the manufacturer regardless of whether they belonged to the respective officially recognised car clubs in each country or not. The manufacturer indirectly supports the clubs through regular advertising in their relevant publications but not on the forum which is free from commercial advertising. Forum members are permitted to advertise sales of their cars, parts and other related items in a section dedicated solely for this purpose. A separate Technical Library is also supported containing a comprehensive range of workshop manuals, spare parts lists and related items of interest to owners, restorers and anyone else with a need for information.

The current practice of financial supporters of this forum being given unfettered access to forum privileges and a dedicated area for their posts in relation to their services has worked well and has not adversely affected membership and forum usage. I suggest this could be more widely promoted seeking more involvement by advertisers however the international coverage and membership may dissuade potential advertisers who have a regional focus.

I fear the current proposal has a strong probability it will lead to the decline and subsequent loss of this forum from loss of member interest and involvement. I doubt the VW group will financially support this forum given the Eos is no longer in production, it did not have volume sales and the name is probably unlikely to be resurrected in the future.

silvershadow
Carer for my partner's Eos 2.0 TDI DSG MY09 Australian specification - Candy White/Cornsilk Beige leather trim. As at April 2019, I still haven't driven HER car. Her 14 year old grand-daughter has now staked a claim for future ownership when my partner is no longer capable of driving. .
silvershadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:07 PM   #5
Administrator
Administrator

Appreciate the feedback silvershadow,

While we would love to work ad free through any of the means you have experienced elsewhere, until there is such a support, we do need to keep our servers, bandwith, security and maintenance up. These do have a cost to them, but we do try to find advertisers who hold some relevance to the interest of members.

We are always open to pragmatic suggestions or ideas.

-Gerrit