When to refuel - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > VW Eos Owners Community > Driver's Lounge (Other Topics)

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-15-2019, 05:10 AM   #1
Lucy2015

Default When to refuel

Is there any good reason to refuel at 1/2 tank?
Lucy2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2019, 06:28 AM   #2
doregan

Default When to refuel

Not that I can think of. For many of my cars over the years I hardly drove with more than 1/2 tank of gas. Often I would only refuel when I thought I was driving on fumes. Part of it is why drive around with that excess weight? (~6.25 lb/gallon)

Now, I'm speaking about driving around town where gas stations are numerous and I'm just doing errands. If I'm traveling any significant distance, I will usually fill or nearly fill the tank. I've been driving for 50+ years and have yet to run out of gas.

VW recommends 91 octane for the Eos. In my area I have the choice of 87, 89, and 93. What I try to do is roughly split the tank between 89 and 93 on consecutive fillups to average out to 91 and save some money.
1968 VW Type 3 fastback - traded for
1974 Mercury Capri 2800
1981 VW Diesel Pickup traded for
1984 Audi 4000S 2-Dr (only one I have ever seen)
1974 Karmann Ghia vert (sold 12/18)
2007 Eos base 6-spd, Red w/black interior (2/19)
doregan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:29 PM   #3
voxmagna

Quote:
Often I would only refuel when I thought I was driving on fumes.
That's a very bad idea because even with fuel line filters an efi engine can suffer expensive damage if particles get through and these are most likely to be near the bottom of the tank. I read many stories of USA gas stations selling bad gas clogging up engines. Presumably if they have a slow turnover of sales, they are doing what you do and only invest in small volumes of fuel which you then draw off from the bottom of their tanks?

Another reason you shouldn't run near empty is the low (but high) pressure fuel pump relies on being fully immersed in fuel to keep it running cool. As a rule I don't run a gas tank lower than 1/4 full and rarely see the low fuel light come on. Sooner or later on a modern car you may have a fuel supply problem and the cost of repair will wipe out any savings you thought you were making.

Thinking through your logic and my comments, I would first choose a gas station nearby that has a high turnover of fuel. Keep away when the tanker is filling up their tanks and go there for a tank full of clean fuel. Is it better to have a tank full of good clean fuel with some extra weight, or play the lottery of filling up more often just to run with a smaller tank?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement