Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

How frequently do you perform roof seal lubrication?

• Every 6 months or more frequently

Votes: 17 73.9%
  • Once a year

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Every other year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Every 3 years or less frequently

Votes: 2 8.7%

Krytox Frequency and Time of Year

7K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  A.J. 
#1 ·
Krytox roof lubrication appears to be the go-to preventive (and sometimes corrective) maintenance item for the Eos. Squeaky roof? Krytox. Leaks? Krytox. Common cold symptoms? Krytox.

I was surprised when I opened the service frequency section of the manual on my 2014, and roof seal lubrication wasn't recommended until the 4-year/40k-mile service. Based on what I've read on this forum, this sounds too infrequent to me. How frequently do you lubricate your seals? Vote in the poll! (assuming I'm able to make it work)

Also, do you perform the service at a certain time of year? Is it best to lubricate the seals in the summer when the weather is warm, the sun is cooking, and they're more likely to dry out? Or is it better to lubricate the seals in the wintertime when it's rainy, and you're more likely to see leaks.

#4 ·
First weekend in October and first weekend in April - whilst weather is warm enough to ensure maximum penetration of Krytox into seals.

Seals are always soft and supple and a uniform matt black in colour. Grey hard seals indicate immediate Krytox application is required to minimise leaks, wind noise and creaks due to door/roof movement when traveling.

#6 ·
I do mine probably three times a tear. I just pick a mild but dry day at no particular time of the year. I do however make sure that I rub it well into the seals.

Although mine is an 2006 I have had very few problems with roof leaks. The only issue I do have is the thin film of Krytox running down the side and rear window every time it rains. Comes of easily with Washing Up liquid though, just a bit of a pain really. :):):)

#9 ·
You can go to a VW Stealer and pay a lot or get it from a DUPONT distributor. There are 2 types, liquid and grease, I only bought a bulk bottle of liquid Krytox. You can find it sold on Ebay too. 30ml doesn't sound much but you use very little and it last for a few applications.

http://www2.dupont.com/Lubricants/e...ed_States_Krytox_Grease_Oil_Distributors.html

Here's an example of the liquid version. The one you want is GPL105. I splashed out on the big bottle from a Dupont distributor, but these fleabay sellers are repackaging in smaller sizes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pinewood-De...066?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d36869b2

#12 ·
Tiguan, I had my timing belt and waterpump done at a Bosch German Car Service centre, about a £100 cheaper than a VW stealer. !! :):):) I you have one near you do check them out !! :):):)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.