Hi new UK owner here - 3.2 V6 DSG with 50k. - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > VW Eos Owners Community > New User Introductions

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:11 AM   #1
stashio

Default Hi new UK owner here - 3.2 V6 DSG with 50k.

Hi all, I've just got my first EOS. It's a black 2007, 3.2 V6 DSG with red leather interior and 50k miles. Once I've given it a good clean I'll get some pictures up.

I'm really impressed by the handling, it drives really well which I wasn't expecting and is a nice surprise! I've had a few hard top bimmer convertibles and knew I wouldn't go back to a canvas top again, when this came up it was too good to pass up - not to mention considerably cheaper than any BMW hard top!

First job on the list is replacing the tired 17 inch alloys with something a bit more sporty looking. Is there a common swap? I'm guessing most 112x5 VAG wheels fit?

Cheers!
stashio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2019, 06:31 AM   #2
aku-aku

You can check the full specifications of the stock Eos wheels here - you will want to check the ET (offset) value, which determines how far into or out of the arch the wheels are set. Aftermarket manufacturers like Borbet will have configurators on their website that will show you the correct wheels for the Eos too.
aku-aku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:31 PM   #3
David44

Welcome.

As with all early Eos models keeping the water out is your first priority and the product to do that is called Krytox, it's expensive but it is VW recommend.
From memory Passat wheels are also compatible so that will increase your choices available.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:21 PM   #4
stashio

Thanks for the welcome guys. Wow Krytox is expensive! When I had my bimmer convertibles we'd use GummiPledge and that was a hell of a lot cheaper. I do get some squeaks from the roof going over bumpy roads so know I'll need to do something about the rubbers. You guys use Krytox then, I'll have to do some reading between now and payday
Old 04-09-2019, 01:14 AM   #5
silvershadow
Ageing Revhead/Moderator

Stashio,

"First cost is not end cost" Krytox is expensive, it appears expensive but a little goes a long way.

I purchased AUD300 [GBP165] worth of Krytox GPL105 10 years ago and I stll have at least enough for another year or two left This equates to approximately 15GBP per year for twice annual applications in our harsh climate. The seals are still soft, matt black in colour, supple and look brand-new.

Compare this to your scheduled servicing costs and then tell me if this is an expensive service item?
Carer for my partner's Eos 2.0 TDI DSG MY09 Australian specification - Candy White/Cornsilk Beige leather trim. As at April 2019, I still haven't driven HER car. Her 14 year old grand-daughter has now staked a claim for future ownership when my partner is no longer capable of driving. .
silvershadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:08 AM   #6
stashio

It's relative surely, if there's two products that are essentially the same but one is 4x the cost of the other then why would you buy the more expensive one? It's a genuine question, I've not had time to research the differences yet but I've got some left over GummiPledge (I can never spell it properly) so will try that this weekend first, if it stops the squeaks then it's done it's job - if not then I'll try Krytox.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:42 AM   #7
silvershadow
Ageing Revhead/Moderator

The cheaper versions of GPL105 have been diluted with a low-cost "solvent" to reduce the apparent cost per equivalent container volume.

They will work for a short period of time but the conditioning has to be repeated more often for it to remain effective thus eliminating the apparent cost-saving.

Like I said, why bother using second-best when the best costs 15GBP per year?????
Carer for my partner's Eos 2.0 TDI DSG MY09 Australian specification - Candy White/Cornsilk Beige leather trim. As at April 2019, I still haven't driven HER car. Her 14 year old grand-daughter has now staked a claim for future ownership when my partner is no longer capable of driving. .
silvershadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:57 PM   #8
Shep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvershadow View Post
Like I said, why bother using second-best when the best costs 15GBP per year?????
Because he can.

Anyway, welcome to the club. Loved my v6, makes a great sound and was surprisingly quite economical with plenty of poke when needed.

Last edited by Shep; 04-09-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:06 PM   #9
stashio

cheers Shep - yeah the sound is great and I'm sure once I eventually take it out of sports mode the economy will improve. After a few years of driving diesel it's great to hear the sound of a petrol engine stretching it's legs!
Old 04-09-2019, 09:38 PM   #10
fireflite

I also am a new member with a V6.Dark blue with tan leather interior.
With the roof down the birdsong on country roads is beautiful,but,press the loud pedal and that sound also fills you with joy.
Last summer had a C70 T5,very good car,but the VW EOS V6 is much more responsive and the steering more definite.
If it is not raining,turn the air con up,get the top down and enjoy.
As Shep says,it can be quite frugal,I return around 30 mpg with quite a heavy right foot.
fireflite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:48 AM   #11
stashio

Nice! I fancied the blue one myself but then came across my black one and it was too good to pass up. I completely agree with your country road description, convertibles never fail to put a smile on my face when the sun's out. I've gone from an Audi Allroad and the difference in interior quality is going to take some getting used to but as soon as the roof comes down (or I press the loud pedal) I soon forget about that!

I was toying with the C70 T5 myself, but I couldn't justify the cost over the EOS. Glad I made the right decision!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement