Airbag light -- intermittent - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > VW Eos Owners Community > New User Introductions

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:33 AM   #1
kenovo

Default Airbag light -- intermittent

Hey EOSers,

I have a 2007 EOS 2.0T. I bought the car about a year ago and I love it. However I have had an intermittent airbag light. I scanned it and get this error code:

01217 - Side Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N199)
001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 10100001
Fault Priority: 1
Fault Frequency: 1

I've Googled the hell out of this and most everything points to the faulty harnesses under the seat. I've checked that. It looks like a previous owner already resolved that since the yellow airbag connectors are gone and the wires have been butt-spliced together.

RossTech suggests checking the wiring and also "Check Side Airbag Igniter, Front Driver Side (N199) faulty"

Questions:
1. Where is the Side Airbag Igniter? Is that inside the seat back? Do I have to cut into the seat to check that??
2. What do I check?
3. I read that the clock spring could also be faulty, but I don't see how that can affect the "side airbag igniter". A side airbag wiring shouldn't go through the steering wheel right?
Many thanks for any help!
Kenovo
kenovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2018, 05:49 AM   #2
aku-aku

Your analysis is pretty much spot on.

The error "upper limit exceeded" is different to what you would get if there was an issue with the wiring harness. You're also correct that it's not the clock spring at fault - the clock spring only affects things attached to the steering wheel, and whilst it is another common fault, it can't have anything to do with the side airbag igniter. "Upper limit exceeded" could mean that the input voltage is too high, which may indicate a fault elsewhere and not with the igniter itself

As far as I know, the side airbag igniter is inside the seat back, and you'd have to remove the seat fabric/leather to get to it.

You sound like you have a good understanding of this stuff, so I trust you're aware that handling the airbag components requires a lot of care in order to avoid them igniting. Remember that the light comes on because the car has figured out there's something wrong with the unit, and it is disabling it for safety.

It may be easier (and potentially cheaper than sourcing a new OEM part) to look for a replacement seat in a breaker's yard and just replace the whole seat.

Last edited by aku-aku; 12-12-2018 at 05:52 AM.
aku-aku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:47 AM   #3
mickjane2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenovo View Post
Hey EOSers,

I have a 2007 EOS 2.0T. I bought the car about a year ago and I love it. However I have had an intermittent airbag light. I scanned it and get this error code:

01217 - Side Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N199)

001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent - MIL ON

Freeze Frame:

Fault Status: 10100001

Fault Frequency: 1

I've Googled the hell out of this and most everything points to the faulty harnesses under the seat. I've checked that. It looks like a previous owner already resolved that since the yellow airbag connectors are gone and the wires have been butt-spliced together.

RossTech suggests checking the wiring and also "Check Side Airbag Igniter, Front Driver Side (N199) faulty"

Questions:

1. Where is the Side Airbag Igniter? Is that inside the seat back? Do I have to cut into the seat to check that??

2. What do I check?

3. I read that the clock spring could also be faulty, but I don't see how that can affect the "side airbag igniter". A side airbag wiring shouldn't go through the steering wheel right?

Many thanks for any help!

Kenovo

I repaired one last year with a similar fault, for a start you donít have to slice and dice the seat fabric. Remove seat from car and turn it upside down, this makes stripping it down easier, un clip the seat back trim and check the wiring, I found that the harness was under stress where the seat is being tilted and had pulled apart. I repaired by lengthening the loom using soldered joints and heat shrink, this solved the problem for me hope this helps.

Mick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 Deep Black Pearl SE 2.0 tdi dsg xenons Full electric black leather seats Folding mirrors with chrome covers 18x8j alloys front fogs, Door projector lenses LED footwell lights OEM RNS 510 + bluetooth and Media interface, OEM front and rear mud flaps Sport pedals and dead pedal LED mirror puddle lights and front side lights 35mm lowered springs LED rear number plate lamps.

2018 Tiguan 2.0 TSI DSG SEL Deep Black Pearl.

First EOS 2008 Silver 2.0 FSI DSG sport.
mickjane2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:53 PM   #4
voxmagna

The air bag squib (the part that goes bang!!) has a resistance of about 2 ohm. I know this because I once had to drive a car across Europe without the front passenger and rear seats to get more space and I wanted my driver airbag operational. I measured the squibs with very high resistance digital ohm meter, so you do have to know what you are doing - else bang!!

The yellow air bag connectors are clever and put on a short circuit when you disconnect them. I can't remember now if the short is only on the squib side connector or both halves? The system will then put on a disconnect fault (warning lit). By pushing in approx 2 ohm resistor into the socket pins on the controller side, the airbag controller will prove that airbag location as o.k.

I'm not telling you this so you can bypass a faulty squib. But by using a test resistor at the connector you can see if the system will prove and if it does you know your problem is in the wiring or the squib underneath the seat vinyl. If you still get warnings with the test resistor (which you checked on a known good airbag) then you know your problem is wiring to the airbag controller. Testing first could save you ripping open the seat if the fault is upstream towards the controller.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:03 PM   #5
kenovo

I'm going to try this. Like you said, it will help narrow the fault to the airbag explosive (squib, as you say) or the wiring.

In other related news, after clearing this error over an over, I suddenly got an error for a defective airbag controller.

00003 - Control Module
014 - Defective - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11101110
Fault Frequency: 21
Reset counter: 255

I had a hell of a time locating a compatible controller, but I recently installed it and coded it and that error is now gone. The original side airbag errors remain, however. All the hassles with this airbag system really have me wondering whether my expectation of this 2007 Eos airbag system operating without faults is even reasonable. I really love this car, but the airbag system seems to be conspiring against me. Thank you for taking the time to reply and share you experience.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:05 PM   #6
kenovo

Great idea. I actually move my front seats back and forth quite often since I have a child seat in the back. This very well may be the culprit. I'll try not to get my hopes up. Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-24-2019, 04:57 PM   #7
voxmagna

There's a problem with the DIY mindset: ' Get a fault, fix that fault and carry on driving'. If you take most cars into a Stealer with an airbag fault they don't just fix the fault. There's usually a whole set of diagnostics and test procedures that go with it. The Stealer will want to ensure that after any airbag fault, the entire system is thoroughly tested for any other problems. When your car leaves their workshop, they are qualifying the complete airbag system and not just repairing the fault.

If an airbag controller is faulty a Stealer will often only replace it with new, because it's the only way something as complex as an airbag controller can have provenance, arriving as it does factory tested in a sealed bag.

Most airbag control units have internal fuses inside their chips which are blown for catastrophic faults or when squibs are fired in a crash. You cannot recover that controller by resetting with diagnostics when the airbag warning is permanently on until the controller is replaced with a new part.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
side airbag light 01217