Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

Drive light flashes and EOS goes into neutral

8K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  volent 
#1 ·
Every fews days the D on my shifter blinks and my eos goes into neutral. It is stuck in neutral until I shut the car off and turn it on. Then everything is normal. Any help on what this is would be appreciated. Thanks

#5 ·
What did you scan it with.

Mick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
UK has been getting some unusual hot weather the last few days. I still think a decent scan tool used correctly should have recorded past events, but you could note the air temperature reading on the dash when you do and don't get the problem to see if there is a temperature correlation?

#8 ·
I used a OBD II & CAN reader. I think I may have found the issue. My daughter and wife kept telling me it was a transmission issue and I drove it 100 miles with no issue. Yesterday it finally happened me and the engine raced but did not drive for a minute. I noticed the cruise control was on and I shut it off and the issue went away. I am hoping that was the issue. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for your help

#10 ·
Generic OBD2 reader will probably only read the engine codes, not the other modules In any case, some faults can flash the transmission lights but not necessarily register a fault code.

It sounds like either the transmission is (slightly) overheating or a faulty temperature sensor. If the problem goes away without a code, then its cooled down again. You could guess and throw parts at it if you like, but also its worth getting it diagnosed using a scanner which can read OEM VW modules; and also see live data to check the temperature sender's figure is plausible.

The other thing is, how many miles does it have and when was the transmission last serviced (fluid and filter change). It could be slightly low on fluid too, which won't help.

#9 ·
In the u.s. Volkswagen had what they called an extended warranty program for the EOS transmission but unfortunately it expired on December 31st 2018. I went to the Volkswagen dealer 14 days later and they refused to uphold the extended warranty. I was never notified of this and went up the chain at Volkswagen and was told no at every single step of the way. Volkswagen is not doing a good job with its customer base. This was meant to be a recall and they skirted the issue by calling it an extended warranty program. Shame on Volkswagen.

#11 ·
Problem may be a sensor or could be the mechatronic unit. I hope for your sake it is what you found. The only DSG trans recall in the US that I could find is for 09-10 Eos. If you don't get a recall notice it may be because your car was not affected. In the US if it is a federally mandated recall, the car maker will track you down, even if you are not the original owner. I have had notices for cars I no long own.

#12 ·
I found a VW recall 09v333000 for the exact same issue and the same model and year online so I called VW. They said my vin number wasn't covered. So I'll bring it in and pay myself to get the temperature sensor switch replaced. Disappointed with VW but at least the transmission isnt bad. Thanks for all your help!

#13 ·
Good call but let them properly diagnose it (they should be able to......), there's a few issues with the DSG of that era, AIUI the faulty temperature sensor issue is normally related to rough shifting; and the popping into neutral with the flashing lights normally associated with a faulty mechatronics unit. BUT those are just vague "patterns" of other failures seen, the DSG is complex (there are over 30 sensors and valves in the mechatronics unit alone). Some parts are replaceable but many aren't, or its a big job, or they don't sell the individual components, just the whole unit.

But first step is proper diagnosis with the right tools and knowhow, not just loading up the parts cannon, firing it and seeing what sticks.

#14 ·
Took it to the Volkswagon Dealer and they gave the transmission fluid a change. My car is 10 years old and only 26000 miles so they thought the transmission fluid. If that did not qork it would be to replace the mechatronic unit which would be $2000. I am am keeping my fingers crossed the fluid change works

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.