RCD330 worth the risk ? - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > Volkswagen Eos Forum > VW Eos Tech Q&A > Interior & ICE

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:51 AM   #1
midician
South Australian Owner

Default RCD330 worth the risk ?

Hi Everyone,

I am looking at upgrading my RCD510 factory fitted unit to a Chinese RCD 330 plus.

Planning on doing the install myself. Looks simple enough.

Can anyone offer any advice of what to watch our for and any pitfalls during installation ?

I have a 2010 Eos, manufactured late 2009, so from my reading and research, will not require any CANBUS or steering wheel adapters, just the antenna 2 into 1 cable. Right ?

Also any advice on WHICH Chinese RCD 330 would be useful- there are Noname brands and Desay and from different manufacturers too...Carplay is a must, so the 187B model is a must.

Thanks in advance !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2019, 01:16 PM   #2
D-Vancouver

Hi,

I think you'll find that if you do a site search for RCD330, your answer will probably be in there. I had my RCD330 installed by a pro so I'm not of any help but I DO love the unit and I'm really glad I bought it. I also had to have the dealer do a bit of programming stuff so that the optical parking thingy worked properly.
2013 Deep Black Pearl Highline Edition 2.0 TSI with Vienna Corn Silk interior. 2nd owner. Purchased Aug. 2017. Added Hertz amp/Kenwood subwoofer/new Focal front speakers (no Dynaudio in car), added sound dampening to doors. 83000Km as of June 2018

2015 Tiguan R-Line w/sport suspension. Titanium beige. 34000Km as of June 2018.
D-Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:59 PM   #3
David44

Not done any research on the Chinese model but would it be less complicated to get a genuine VW unit?
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2019, 07:09 AM   #4
aku-aku

There's a forum www.rcd330plus.com which is dedicated to this, and has a bunch of information about which models there are, coding and so on.
aku-aku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #5
midician
South Australian Owner

Update:

Got the unit yesterday.

Ordered the cables to match- here you need some caution- i was provided a y antenna cable with 2 single FAKRA on one end and 1 on the other. This does NOT fit- i had to shave off some bits of the plugs to get it to fit side by side. Best you get a cable with 1 FAKRA to TWIN FaKRA .

Aside from this hitch, which took me 20 minutes to correct, the rest of the install was easy as pie. 40 minutes all up.

Reversing sensor disply works. Bluetooth is fantastic, and audio quality is equivalent to the old 510.

Canbus adapter not required for my year of manufacture.

SD card reading error however. I understand its a formatting issue. Currently formatted as fAT and needs to be exFAT. This fixed it and the SD card is read 10 times faster than the old RCd510 did.

Phone button on the steering wheel also activates the phone menu on the nit and once all the contacts are imported, i can make calls without touching my phone.

Anyone have ideas of how to activate Siri using the steering controls?

Very happy.

Last edited by midician; 03-12-2019 at 01:37 PM.
midician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:02 AM   #6
aku-aku

Which model did you end up getting?

I think your story (everything "just works") will be true for anyone with a facelift Eos. It's the pre-facelift ones that will have issues like the CAN gateway, MFD and so on. Also anyone with Dynaudio, apparently the RCD330 doesn't always accept the coding.
aku-aku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:48 PM   #7
edit4ever

Sounds like you have an iPhone - so I'm guessing you didn't get the Android Auto capable version? Wondering how well that works on the RCD330.
edit4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:20 AM   #8
EOS4me
15' Black Pearl / Titan

I installed an RCD330 in my 2015. It was 100% 'plug & play'. Everything works perfectly (including all steering wheel controls). There was no coding, no adaptors, no additional wiring harnesses needed. I've had it in there now for about three months and love it. I mainly upgraded to it for the CarPlay, which is excellent. As it turns out, the 'Chinese brands' are actually factory VW units. For whatever reason, they do not advertise them as such, but they are indeed OEM Volkswagen equipment.
EOS4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:56 AM   #9
Robstone

I installed one in my wifes 2009 model with no issues at all. I understand if you have the red in dash display and round steering wheel buttons they are not compatible. Hers has the white display and the rectangular "button in button" steering wheels controls so everything works.

Had it almost 8 months now and am very happy with it. The Carplay is great, it makes my 2018 Toyota Prado's entertainment and navigation feel so outdated.
Robstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:22 AM   #10
midician
South Australian Owner

Found out how to activate Siri- click on Phone>Voice control

Another minor hitch is that if you have playlists including items on the icloud only, during Bluetooth connection it does not play those songs. Works when you have Carplay connected.

Also- the 32GB SD card I bought for use is not accepted- it apparently only reads up to 16GB cards.

The unit I have is Android capable, but I don't have any Android phone to test it on.

Last edited by midician; 03-14-2019 at 04:46 AM.
midician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:17 AM   #11
silvershadow
Ageing Revhead/Moderator

Midician,

What formatting is on the SD card?

I remember your past problems in your early days of Eos custodianship and the problems we experienced with the RCD510 taking a long time to retrieve the file directories:

https://www.vweosclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1853

We still have the RCD510 as SWMBO prefers to use CD's rather than memory cards.

Carer for my partner's Eos 2.0 TDI DSG MY09 Australian specification - Candy White/Cornsilk Beige leather trim. As at April 2019, I still haven't driven HER car. Her 14 year old grand-daughter has now staked a claim for future ownership when my partner is no longer capable of driving. .
silvershadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:08 AM   #12
midician
South Australian Owner

I tried to format the SD card in all formats FAT, FAT32 and NTFS.
For the 32GB on the 510, FAT32 was OK. But- the RCD 510 read the card very slowly.

The new RCD330 reads a 16GB card instantly. I mean no delay whatsoever between menus choices. I highly recommend the RCD330 as a replacement. The 16GB card reads when formatted as FAT32, but I have it formatted as exFAT now, and it works like a charm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
diy, rcd330