Air only blows when the top is down? - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > Volkswagen Eos Forum > VW Eos Tech Q&A > Interior & ICE

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:41 PM   #1
alleyfarms

Default Air only blows when the top is down?

I've got an 07 eos and whenever the top is down all of the a/c, heat, blower, etc work as they should, but as soon as I put the top up it no longer blows air. Has anyone else had this problem before? Any ideas on what I could do to troubleshoot it?
alleyfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2019, 09:47 PM   #2
doregan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyfarms View Post
I've got an 07 eos and whenever the top is down all of the a/c, heat, blower, etc work as they should, but as soon as I put the top up it no longer blows air. Has anyone else had this problem before? Any ideas on what I could do to troubleshoot it?
AS A FELLOW 2007 OWNER, A FOLLOWUP question: With top up, can the ventilation system be set to just blow fresh air?? Mine seems to blow either chilled air or heated air. Should no be rocket science but I have not figured it out.
1968 VW Type 3 fastback - traded for
1974 Mercury Capri 2800
1981 VW Diesel Pickup traded for
1984 Audi 4000S 2-Dr (only one I have ever seen)
1974 Karmann Ghia vert (sold 12/18)
2007 Eos base 6-spd, Red w/black interior (2/19)
doregan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:02 PM   #3
alleyfarms

I can't get it to blow anything at all with the top up. Fresh air included. I was originally thinking it might be a vacuum check valve but I don't know how that would be relevant to the top being up or down.
alleyfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2019, 10:21 PM   #4
voxmagna

All blow comes from the cabin fan, whatever position the flap valves are set for. Presumably you mean the fan stops running when the top is up, have you listened to it to confirm? Have you checked the pollen filter is clean?

I have an 07 lowline with basic cabin controls and they work o.k with the temperature set mid way, although sometimes on cruise I have had the air suddenly coming out cold?

Fresh air recirc. is a bit irrelevant top down, but it should operate (by a flap) if you press the right button. What I think you mean is can the system blow air at about the same temperature as outside? If I turn my knob to fully cold I freeze my nuts off () and if I turn it to fully hot I'm in a sauna. Mid way is where it stays most of the time. Cabin temperature is done on my base system using motorised flaps. I think vcds has some measurement blocks that tell you what the flaps are doing. If I listen carefully, I can hear mine clunk at their stops for the temperature extreme settings.

Diagnostics should tell you what's wrong?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:17 AM   #5
aku-aku

Quote:
Originally Posted by doregan View Post
AS A FELLOW 2007 OWNER, A FOLLOWUP question: With top up, can the ventilation system be set to just blow fresh air?? Mine seems to blow either chilled air or heated air. Should no be rocket science but I have not figured it out.
If you have the Climatronic system, press the "ECON" button and turn the heat down until it says LO.

As for the original poster: it could be something simple. Climatronic "knows" when the roof moves up or down, and retains two sets of settings. So you may need to press the ON/OFF button after changing the state of the roof.

I can't say with confidence what you'd have to do with the basic Climatic system, but generally with issues regarding cabin ventilation, it's a good idea to mention which version you have. Of course, I appreciate that some people don't know that there are two options - they just see what they have in their car
aku-aku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:41 AM   #6
voxmagna

That sounds smarter and more complex than my lowline base version. When my top is down and its cold outside I have maximum heat setting and it's only just enough. I can see when its hot with top down you don't want the aircon running continuously cooling the planet, although I feel more comfortable when high level outlets are blowing chilled air on my hands and face.

If you have done the glovebox mod. to cool your radio processor, I guess that just overheats and throttles back if the top is down and aircon is off? That is the issue I thought about. How do you ensure the glovebox cooling is always on?
Old 05-23-2019, 06:56 AM   #7
aku-aku

For glovebox cooling to be always on, the aircon would have to be on and they'd have had to have designed in a third separate airflow over and above the left and right passenger zones, which with Climatronic can be different temperatures.

With the top down I'd either have the Climatronic blowing hot, or switched off - so I'm not sure I'd ever get a chilled glovebox. It seems to stay pretty cool regardless, just like the boot - even when parked on a sunny day and the cabin has got hot, the glove box and boot will feel almost cold.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:12 AM   #8
voxmagna

Quote:
For glovebox cooling to be always on, the aircon would have to be on and they'd have had to have designed in a third separate airflow over and above the left and right passenger zones, which with Climatronic can be different temperatures.
Thanks, that confirms what I thought and using the glovebox aircon to cool the radio CPU is flawed? More work but better to try to use a dedicated fan or if insufficient space, a cpu header block and liquid cool remotely with a small pump and fan where there's more space?
Old 05-24-2019, 05:33 AM   #9
aku-aku

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna View Post
Thanks, that confirms what I thought and using the glovebox aircon to cool the radio CPU is flawed?
It will help some of the time, so I'd say flawed is a bit of a harsh word. Not perfect but, like so much of your other Eos work, quite ingenious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement