2007 Eos MFD display not working - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > Volkswagen Eos Forum > VW Eos Tech Q&A > Interior & ICE

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:11 PM   #1
styrofoam

Default 2007 Eos MFD display not working

The MFD (Multi Function Display- the LCD screen with the odometer, general information, etc) pretty much quit working in my 2007 EOS during the months of April -> November. When it was REALLY COLD, the display would start working again, but as soon as it started to heat up outside, the display would start to fade, and eventually become unreadable.

I hadn't found much information on fixing this part, other than a few warranty repairs, with mentions of the price being around $1000. $300 or so for the part, and $700 for labor. I was imagining taking the entire dash apart just to try and diagnose the issue.

I just found http://www.speedosolutions.com/, and I'm going to make a comment about what a great outfit they were to work with.
The replacement panel cost me only $160, and they did the bulk of the fussy work for me!

Getting the speedo cluster out was easier than I imagined; I followed some Golf instructions. Basically:
Lower and Telescope the steering wheel
Pry out the two clips and cloth cover.
Unscrew two Torx bits holding the speedo cluster to the dash
Grab and wiggle the cluster out. [ This bit took me the longest; it was hard to get a good grip.]

Once the cluster was out, I dropped it in a box, and sent it to speedosolutions. Once they had it, they turned it around in a day or two, and I was at the whims of FedEx until I had it back. They took care of cracking the cluster open, and installing the new LCD panel in there, as well as reassembling it.

I had the luxury of being able to live without my car for the week, so the missing cluster was fine. If you can't deal with that, they will sell you just the panel, and you'd be on your own to install it. It looks like it's DIYable, but I probably would have ended up with a few specks of dust.

Customer service was great- super friendly and knowledgeable.

I may come across as a shill, but I'm just getting word out that if you've been having problems with your display, you can get it replaced for a fraction of what i'd been imagining- and at $160, it didn't make sense not to do it.

Hope this helps somebody else- I'd lived with a spotty display for a few more seasons than I care to admit and wish I'd have known about this earlier.
styrofoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2016, 09:13 PM   #2
voxmagna

Nice to hear is wasn't too difficult to get to. LCD's often give problems if they freeze. MY07 is the low line version and I always thought it wasn't lcd because it is very bright (?). Sounds like a good aftermarket solution.

I replaced a display module once myself on an Opel and got into a mess with the speedo and odo not being right. The local garage sorted it out with diagnostics because what I should've done was checked the old module coding first which has options for different size wheels and speedo sensors. We took a guess at the coding, drove a measured mile and they guessed right!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:10 PM   #3
cait

that's interesting - I've got this problem unfortunately.
cait is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2019, 11:30 PM   #4
voxmagna

My MFD has been doing something similar but only when the cabin heats up in strong sunlight. The bottom of the display begins to fade and this creeps up. But when the car is out of the sun and cool it's o.k.

After some research I think I found the answer and fix, but you won't like it. However, considering the cockpit display can be linked to the IMO and the odo is stored in it, not replacing with new is line of least resistance:

Aparently inside the display module they use one of their flimsy multi-line ribbon cables which use a conductive glue to fix it to the (very fine) pcb tracks - 0.05mm pitch I think? With temperature cycling, the conductive glue starts to make poor contact. The 'Do it Once Forever' fix involves replacing their multi line ribbon cable and soldering it directly to the pcb tracks. It's an inspection microscope smd type asssembly task if you are up for it? I've managed to source the fine pitch ribbon, but for now I put up with mine because really hot weather in U.K is rare.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement