AUX input sometimes not working? - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > Volkswagen Eos Forum > VW Eos Tech Q&A > Interior & ICE

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-03-2019, 01:29 PM   #1
TomCooper

Default AUX input sometimes not working?

I've been learning about my new to me 2009 EOS Lux.
I have the RNS510 unit with navigation, and there's an aux input and a media cable connector in the center console.

I have been successful using the AUX in cable multiple times, but a few times when I've started the car, the "Media" button on the screen is greyed out, and the head unit won't let me select Aux in.

Other times when I start the car, it works just fine.

Any idea about how to troubleshoot or what I might check?
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2019, 02:36 PM   #2
voxmagna

Does it stay grayed out even after a minute or so without pressing any buttons? It is normal for satnav head units to need Boot up time to load their operating system variables, maps and synchronise to the GPS antenna, particularly if the map files are detailed and cover a very large area. During this time their (small!) processors and storage are working hard on the satnav side and may not have the spare capacity to multitask the media functions? It gets worse because if the satnav held your last location it doesn't have so much work to do refreshing the map screen at ignition on. But if it forgot or hasn't stored your last location it has a lot more work to do

Most satnav units have options in their menu to set levels of map detail trading off detail for speed. If I'm on main roads not needing small town locations I select less map detail because I know it speeds up map loading, zoom, scrolling and map screen refreshing. It's one good reason why many consider alternative Android based head units with faster processors with better memory and external device options.

I have a clone unit which can take up to a minute to give me all the functions. If I get impatient and start pressing buttons too soon, it can throw a wobbly.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:24 PM   #3
TomCooper

Hmmm. I have not seen the media input "go live" while driving - but I think that your explanation makes some sense. I have not been patient with it - and I've poked the screen with my stubby finger hoping to get relief.

So I'll investigate further - your suggestion fits a bit because if I've been using the AUX input successfully and then the head unit on next start doesn't seem to want to let me use it - the AUX input shows as being selected (but greyed out!)

Also - the previous owner had only put one song on the internal hard disk.Gwen Stafani Sweet Escape. I guess they really loved that song?
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2019, 12:08 AM   #4
voxmagna

You can get a rough idea of the long boot up time caused by the satnav by trying to get the place search or map display up after key on. My non-OE clone shows a boot screen and even when the current location map first comes up, the touch screen is pretty dumb and stutters for a short while. My radio side appears to be in a different process because that screen and the radio comes up virtually immediately. You just need some patience.

The way these head units work is they have dedicated modules inside with a control board and operating system linking them together. The radio tuner is mostly self contained and doesn't require much work from the processor once channels have been previously stored. But satnav is very processor intensive and that's closely followed by the audio coding and decoding. Whilst you may stuff analogue audio into an AUX port, it is probably coded digitally for the volume and tone processing using similar algorithms to MP3 sources.

If you find after being patient that you do get the AUX input working, post again for others to comment on your boot time to compare with theirs? These older head units use hard drives to hold their system and data. If the hard drive (or memory) is fragmented or corrupted the software will be take longer to find good sections on the disc. If you can find the V.W OE files you might get improvement with a fresh re-install, but that may not fix hard drive errors if it is failing. If it was mine and that was the case, I would try to switch their hard drive for a solid state drive. Hard disc drives in cars are not the best idea.

Last edited by voxmagna; 10-04-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:36 PM   #5
TomCooper

Sadly that didn't solve it. Last night I enjoyed streaming audio through AUX, but this morning, the input didn't work. The display SAYS that AUX is selected, but there's no audio, and the "Media" button is greyed out.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:46 PM   #6
voxmagna

Good try anyway.

Try streaming a very high quality stereo MP3 >192 kb/s and CD from sources other than AUX e.g the storage drive or fast flash memory. If that works without stutter, it sound like just the AUX port.falling over. If the AUX port stays active with the button lit and no input when you start trying satnav, radio or other options it may be struggling to code/decode the input stream on that port or there's an issue with the lead. Loads of people buy those leads off Fleabay.

Try this link to research your hardware and firmware version and here's a comment I found:
"5274 can be somewhat unstable on some head units as such we recommend 5269."

https://www.my-gti.com/3211/volkswag...specifications
Old 10-05-2019, 07:35 AM   #7
aku-aku

I believe the RNS510 has some magic in it to detect when the Aux input is present. It could be an issue with the wiring to the Aux connector, or even an issue with the cable between the Aux connector and the device you're plugging into it.
aku-aku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:27 AM   #8
SALBERS

I converted my RNS510 to an SSD and reloaded the firmware which is much faster and more reliable. Because service is so iffy, I keep a spare unit completely configured so I can swap it out quickly and send the errant unit out for repair while my car is fully operational.
SALBERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:44 PM   #9
voxmagna

I think SSD is the way to go now for in-car units - lower power, unaffected by vibration or disk surface wear and no mechanics. Speed shouldn't be a problem because that will already be limited by the internal hard drive interface - probably SATA 1 or 2 if it's old tech. V.W?

Unless you have millions of music downloads needing a very large drive, the smaller size SSDs are very cheap now and you can afford to clone a second spare as plug and play, which means you have a backup operating system with all the maps and licences - unless they got clever and are reading the drive serial number for license authentication?
Old 10-11-2019, 07:01 AM   #10
aku-aku

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna View Post
I think SSD is the way to go now for in-car units - lower power, unaffected by vibration or disk surface wear and no mechanics. Speed shouldn't be a problem because that will already be limited by the internal hard drive interface - probably SATA 1 or 2 if it's old tech. V.W?
Wishful thinking! The RNS510 is PATA. Which makes finding suitable SSDs hard.

Quote:
Unless you have millions of music downloads needing a very large drive, the smaller size SSDs are very cheap now and you can afford to clone a second spare as plug and play, which means you have a backup operating system with all the maps and licences - unless they got clever and are reading the drive serial number for license authentication?
They're not. You can swap the drive no problem. I don't think I've heard of people swapping out a ready-to-go drive though, only reinstalling everything when the new drive is put in.
aku-aku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:26 AM   #11
voxmagna

Quote:
Wishful thinking! The RNS510 is PATA. Which makes finding suitable SSDs hard.
If you have space in the box once you ditch the larger PATA drive (particularly if it's the thicker heavy 31/2) you can try a PATA to SATA converter board/lead? I used a couple on a CCTV digital recorder with no issues, because a large SATA drive was cheaper for streaming than the older PATA. Going that way you can get single rail SSD power from the PATA side. .... and if that's not going to fit, you could also bring the SATA interface outside the RNS510 and stick the SSD on the top or somewhere else!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement