2013 VW Eos Interior Top Mount (bar?) - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > Volkswagen Eos Forum > VW Eos Tech Q&A > Interior & ICE

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-21-2019, 05:10 PM   #1
Mydwist

Default 2013 VW Eos Interior Top Headliner

Hey all!
I've been lurking on here for a couple months. I recently bought a 2013 VW Eos Sport in May. I've been loving it so far! Only a few minor repairs were necessary -- side marker lights, a couple fuses, license plate lights, and some touch-up paint.

My biggest problem I've encountered thus far is this interior top convertible headliner!! I can't find anything about it online. The thing is cracked straight down the middle, and almost all of the mount plugs are either broken or just not fitting correctly, though I could be doing it wrong.

The major issue with it being broken is that if I have the top up and any windows down the entire fabric whips around from the wind, and I fear that one day it'll completely snap and possibly ruin the convertible aspect of the car.

I've tried to take a few clear pics at good angles to showcase what the heck is going on.

Any advice on what the part is, how to replace it, etc. would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

The website won't let me attach the files -- here's an imgur album link. https://imgur.com/a/mVb1ido

Last edited by Mydwist; 07-21-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Mydwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2019, 05:31 PM   #2
Mydwist

Hi all,

I asked around and I got some leads. Part # 1Q0871091
Turns out it's either a "VW EOS ROOF STRETCH HEADLINER" or the "Back Glass Reveal Molding" -- I was told that I'd have to replace the entire headliner.

Is there any way I could replace this myself without drilling a hole in my wallet by going to a repair shop to get it fixed?
Old 07-21-2019, 06:38 PM   #3
voxmagna

Hi, I've been asking here a long time for anybody who has removed and replaced their headliner intact without damage to do a write up. Some have been part way to get access into their sunroof, but I don't think anybody has done the complete remove and replace to live and tell us their story!

The workshop procedure has a lot of detail and the phrases that scare me most are like ' If you break this you will have to replace the complete headliner.' Unfortunately, their procedure isn't that good at explaining to us mere mortal DIYers how to remove parts like clips without damage.

It sounds like you are already in their warning zone of ' if you break this you will have to replace the headliner'?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2019, 08:31 PM   #4
John D

Hi , it is rather difficult to ascertain why your roof headliner droops at the rear. From memory it clips into the roof above the rear heated window. It looks from your images that the clips are damaged. You could consider stretching the roof liner back into place at the rear and reattaching it with impact adhesive then clamp it into place using non damaging plastic clamps and strips of flexible plastic or hardboard to spread the load. My car had broken clips at the back I never had the courage to remove the headliner to fix it but gluing in place at the rear has worked for many years.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:11 AM   #5
Mydwist

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna View Post
Hi, I've been asking here a long time for anybody who has removed and replaced their headliner intact without damage to do a write up. Some have been part way to get access into their sunroof, but I don't think anybody has done the complete remove and replace to live and tell us their story!

The workshop procedure has a lot of detail and the phrases that scare me most are like ' If you break this you will have to replace the complete headliner.' Unfortunately, their procedure isn't that good at explaining to us mere mortal DIYers how to remove parts like clips without damage.

It sounds like you are already in their warning zone of ' if you break this you will have to replace the headliner'?
Quote:
Originally Posted by John D View Post
Hi , it is rather difficult to ascertain why your roof headliner droops at the rear. From memory it clips into the roof above the rear heated window. It looks from your images that the clips are damaged. You could consider stretching the roof liner back into place at the rear and reattaching it with impact adhesive then clamp it into place using non damaging plastic clamps and strips of flexible plastic or hardboard to spread the load. My car had broken clips at the back I never had the courage to remove the headliner to fix it but gluing in place at the rear has worked for many years.

Thank you both for the replies.
Vox, I'm unsure if the headliner itself is close to breaking beyond repair -- it's just this silly plastic guide bar.

John, I can tell you the clips are definitely damaged. They seem to fit into the slots, but they will not stay. Using adhesive is a great idea, but what kind of 'impact adhesive' should I use? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 07-22-2019, 07:14 AM   #6
John D

Hi, I used evostick impact adhesive , it took a couple of goes to get the rear of the headliner properly glued into place . I had some non damaging plastic spring loaded clamps in my workshop but they seem to be readily available. I cut some narrow strips of thin hardboard to spread the effort from the clamps. Been fine for years.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:25 AM   #7
John D

Spelling error Evo-Stik impact adhesive. You could also try Hard As Nails double sided adhesive strip which you can get at Poudstretcher stores. It seems very strong. Good luck!
Old 07-23-2019, 03:49 PM   #8
voxmagna

I tried some Evo-Stik under the vinyl on my door capping where it had bubbled in a couple of places. It seems to be working, but buy the solvent version NOT waterbased.

I've come across something double sided with amazing stick - it's the black thin rubber adhesive backed pads they use for fixing interior mirrors. It's not your standard poor Sellotape type adhesive but something else made by 3M? It sticks so well to a clean dry surface you have to pull the rubber away in pieces to get it off. You can buy it in narrow widths in roll form. Warm a little first with a hair drier. I think it's similar strong contact adhesive to what 3M use on their velcro 'lock pads'.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:10 AM   #9
gearslam

I replaced mine a few years ago its about an hour job, P/N: 1Q0-871-943-D-88U $328.61 from expressoemparts.com
I recommend the VAS6365 tool from Snapon.
2010 VW EOS, 2.0TSi, 6 Speed Manual:APR K04 Fully Loaded @104octane, Spec Stage 2+ Clutch and Light Weight Flywheel, Spulen Short Throw Shifter w/ECS Brass Bushings, ECS Dogbone insert, iABED Billet Rear Main, BSH Race Intake, BSH Throttle Pipe, ECS TOP, Godspeed V2 Intercooler, Audi R8 Coil Packs, NGK Ruthenium FR7BHX-S @.028, 3 Downpipe with High Flow CAT, Zinc Coated Slotted/Crossdrilled Rotors, Snow Performance VC-51 2-Stage Water/Meth (Post Intercooler & Pre-Turbo) w/BSH mount.
gearslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:26 AM   #10
voxmagna

Quote:
I recommend the VAS6365 tool from Snapon
I recommend my 'Voxprops' for DIY, which cost a couple of dollars to make.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:13 PM   #11
Mydwist

I fixed it boys!
Used some strong epoxy as a base, and layered super glue on top of it along the edges. It doesn't look perfect, but it's infinitely better than it was in the past.

https://imgur.com/a/0lQ86De
Sponsored Links
Advertisement