Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

Brisbane - Eos owners

15K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  Brucem 
#1 ·
Who is around the Brisbane / SE QLD area? Could together for a top down cruise sometime.
We are planning to go up to Mt Mee / Montville this Sunday, the forecast is top down. ;)

#2 ·
Just been for a drive to the stealers and passed 2 other black Eos's, so they are around.

#4 ·
Just back from a great day to Mt Mee, Maleny and Montville. Saw another Eos, gold colour ***-EOS at Montville and one at Maleny (may have been the same one).
Will post some photos tomorrow.
Magic day, 25C on the flat and down to 20.5C on the ranges.;)

#5 ·
Brisbane EOS Owners

Hi bneeos,

Was up Montville way the other month,to hot to have roof down until the afternoon when my wife and I visted Lake Barron then drove all the way back to Brissy with the roof down. Great Drive!!! Only one problem my wife went to sleep with mouth open catching flies.:rolleyes:

#6 ·
Hi Brisbane owners. Have just found this site and would love to go for a drive with fellow EOS owners. How about Sunday 12 July 2009 so everyone's got plenty of notice.
Once we know who can make it, we can work out where we'd like to go.
Love my car, Jo

#10 ·
Consensus of opinion about OEM Satnav from various European manufacturers exporting to Oz is that the systems are overpriced and updates are both expensive and not always up-to-date with additions/changes to local roads.

If you are not obsessed with having an integrated screen, an after-market portable unit with Australian-sourced updates is cheaper and less frustrating.

#11 ·
Sunday 12 July could be on (if I'm in the country). I will know more next week.

We live at the Gabba.

#12 ·
That'd be good, I was begining to lose heart. Hopefully there'll be some others come along, if not the 12th then another Sunday.
We live on Southside but would be up for drive anywhere (e.g. Maleny, Noosa etc.)
Mine's a 2007 Paprika TDI Manual (more involving to drive was our thought) with Individual Pack. Just use it on weekends!:p

#16 ·
There are 2 Bluetooth systems in Australia.

1 is a standard Nokia kit that costs around $800 installed. You can use your steering wheel to pickup and put off calls. You can not see who is calling on the screen or type on the screen.

The other option is the Premium bluetooth costs around $3200. With the premium bluetooth you can type on the screen, see who is calling you on the MFD.

I have the $800 system on my EOS and it does the job. I dont think its worth $3200 for the premium kit.

#18 ·
My bluetooth must be the $800 one it only allowed me to pick/hang up calls with my old SE phone. Now I've got new iPhone 3G I haven't been able to pair it so the bluetooth has been useless.
I read it some other site that with Nokia phones you can control all functions through the main touch screen (RCD510).
Please help me if anyone knows how to pair iPhone 3G... really appreciate it.

Also I've been reading about SmarTop for EOS it seems great to have. Has anyone installed one in Brisbane? I'd love to check one out or hear about it before I make my mind.

Thanks and happy EOSing

#19 ·
The 'premium' kit only works with rsap phones, which most are not.
There are other kits around - most people go for the Skoda phone units, as they are more affordable and offers most features that you'd want (contacts and display on trip computer screen), but for <09 cars they use the 'OK' button instead of the phone button. But they do work with RCD510 / RNS510
Another solution is Kufatec/Fiscon kits, I have not worked on these though but from what i understand they also offer music through bluetooth.

Cheapest way, and if you don't need an integrated system, is to get a portable nav unit with bluetooth. Their navigation systems are often better and more user-friendly than the OEM systems, especially the older MFD2s...

Hope to see you guys on the road sooner or later!

#20 ·
For my 09 EOS I had Harding performance fit the skoda kit. Nokia phones with symbian OS the functionality is limited ie handsfree is fine but no phone book integration. With non symbian Nokia i suspect it will be fine (wife's nokia 3120 works great). They have said all other phones will integrate completely (having said that latest Sony erricson satio have a symbian OS so not sure).
Have looked into the smart top and am wondering!!!!!!!
At present enjoying the car.... beautiful drive

#21 · (Edited)
I was looking at the Courer-Mail's gallery of today's flood when I saw these pics:

Hope it's okay...I was just thinking "I'd hate to have a nice, shiny Eos in that flood area" when this cropped up and gave me the fright of my life! (I've direct linked to the images since the C-M keep updating their gallery and ruining my links.)

#23 ·
lookout Eos owners

Last night I was on Mains Road heading south, just went across Kessels Road and on the left lane there is a giant pothole. I could not avoid it and hit it hard - thought I had burst the tyre for sure. It made the loudest noise and it sounded more like a crash.

Thankfully the tyre did not burst, but a bubble has formed on the sidewall. I'll give it a few days and see if it needs replacement. Bummer - these tyres aren't cheap. Lookout for those potholes, they're everywhere!!

The faulty compressor decided to engage last night and even blew cold air (first time in 2 weeks) when the aircon was set to ECON mode. This increased the engine load to the point where it struggled to idle and even stalled the car last night. I just hope the compressor holds itself together until we get the damn thing replaced

#24 ·
lookout Eos owners

Thankfully the tyre did not burst, but a bubble has formed on the sidewall. I'll give it a few days and see if it needs replacement. Bummer - these tyres aren't cheap. Lookout for those potholes, they're everywhere!!

The faulty compressor decided to engage last night and even blew cold air (first time in 2 weeks) when the aircon was set to ECON mode. This increased the engine load to the point where it struggled to idle and even stalled the car last night. I just hope the compressor holds itself together until we get the damn thing replaced

Low profile tyres and potholes are an ever-present threat to your financial well-being - my advice is to replace the tyre ASAP. If you wish to keep using the tyre, put it on the rear where it will not cause as many problems if the sidewall blows out when cornering.

The A/c compressor problem is probably a faulty wiring connection or "dry joint" on a circuit board if the pothole bump was related to its sudden interest in working again. The engine management system [EMS] should sense the compressor is engaged and adjust the idling speed to prevent stalling - if this is not happening; the real problem may in the EMS itself.

#25 ·
phew
Aircon system replaced: compressor, condenser, TX valve, all done under warranty. I have nothing but good feedback for Highway VW service - they finished my car early and they have been helpful numerous times.

The tyre that I wanted to replace is out of stock until mid April. I have been quoted 430. OUCH
since it only has 25000km I don't want to replace the other 3 yet. I'm considering replacing 2 of them with something else, but simply can't afford it right now

I went out for a short drive on Monday night and saw 4 other Eos's in Greenslopes / Southbank area. Any of you?

#30 ·
Unlike members from other countries, we Australians tend to be national rather than parochial and post in threads relevant to our interests rather than where we live.

There are a number of active "banana benders" in our international forum.....

#31 ·
Here it is almost Feb 2019 and no follow up posts. I have a 2011/2012 (always confused as to which one Black oak Brown EOS. LOOOOOOOOOOVE it. Just a little question if anyone is home. The book says to use 15W 30 engine oil but with the ridiculously hot summer we are having, I found she is using more oil than normal. My mechanic said that oil is too thin for our HOT climate and suggested I use 15W 40. Has anyone else had this issue or is it possible engine issues? He said because I am using unleaded 98 fuel, it is near impossible to see if its burning oil as unleaded fuel doesn't blow the blue smoke like leaded did. Cheers all.

#32 ·
If the car is burning oil, you should be able to smell it unless the catalytic converter is effectively recycling the oil combustion residues.

Given the current weather conditions, I agree a 15W/30 oil is too thin and this is why you are using oil. I suspect 15W/40 would reduce oil consumption and would be suitable for the Brisbane climate all year round. Of course, it should be compliant with the VW 502 specification.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.