An Eos Renaissance! - Page 2 - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > Volkswagen Eos Forum > VW Eos Q&A

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-30-2019, 05:22 AM   #26
aku-aku

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb391 View Post
At a cost of 5-10k for the roof, I don't think there are very many sitting in warehouses.
True - but there are parts available. You can order, for example, the hinge assembly for one side of the roof. But as I say, it can take some time to get them.
aku-aku is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2019, 06:44 AM   #27
EosSydney

Quote:
At a cost of 5-10k for the roof, I don't think there are very many sitting in warehouses. My guess is they may have stopped building them. It's kind of a when it's gone, it's gone scenario. I think US law requires parts to be available for 7 years from the car maker. And in many cases the car will be written off if the roof is bad or damaged unless it is repairable to component level and the components are available.
Not sure about your part of the world but here in Australia, there would not be an insurance company that would repair an Eos with any sort of roof damage, rather they would write it off, pay out the agreed value (or market value) depending on the terms of the insurance policy and sell the wreck.

Just looking at the second hand Eos market in Australia, on the biggest local car sales website there are 119 EOS listed across the country with prices ranging from $5,500 to a high of $23,500. I was told by my VW dealer many years ago that a new roof was around $10,000 at that time so in many cases the roof would cost more than the value of the vehicle and even at the top end of the scale, the cost of the roof, plus labour, plus painting plus any other repairs required would approach or exceed the value of the vehicle. It's obvious the insurer would not undertake repairs.

Fact is, like all cars, ours are depreciating rapidly no matter how much we admire them and as there are relatively few around, EOS specific parts will become difficult to obtain and VW will see them as obsolete sooner rather than later.

Makes me wish I had a rural property with a big shed so I could buy up all the written off EOS that come up for sale!

Cheers

George
EosSydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:02 PM   #28
LtlRedX

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_c View Post
Isn't that the case for any car though?
Eventually, yes. But some stick around longer before they reach that point.
LtlRedX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:23 PM   #29
cb391
Life is good... so far

At least some roof parts even the roof itself may be available through VW but they will be expensive. I searched several local junkyards around here and some had Eoses some not. Found one roof for $375 but with the disclaimer complete with glass and motors and recommend roof be used as parts only. Because most of these cars sit outside, the longer they sit the less useable they may be. My question is if the car remains, what has happened to the roofs. Have they gone for repairs, are they damaged and unusable or have they been bought up by speculators or 3rd party part suppliers? That means a limited and pricey supply.

2007 2.0T Sport, Eismeer/Cornsilk, DSG, Enkei PF01 17" wheels w/ Michelin AS/3 tires, DynAudio
cb391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:05 PM   #30
paul_c

At least you occasionally see another Eos on the road; and there's some parts still available from the dealers and online/breakers etc. Try restoring a classic Mercedes - the parts for them are generally quite well available but the prices are fearsome. But that's the way it is. And secondhand parts, they know the market so they're bumped up and up. Or....a Mk1 Scirocco. I had one a while back, I think there were about 10 on the road at the time. There's a forum/club, everybody knows everyone else and everyone had their little stash of parts. You're well into fabricating, adapting or trying to find it in Germany, then its 1+ month delays, etc etc

All cars (well, almost all.....) will eventually be classics, but they seem to dip into a phase where they're neither valuable, particularly old, but you just don't really see them any more and the parts are a struggle. They have to get through that phase before being properly classic. I don't think we're quite there though.
paul_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:00 AM   #31
voxmagna

Quote:
They have to get through that phase before being properly classic. I don't think we're quite there though.
I thought about this the other day, when and how cars become 'Classic'. Many factors may come into play - Age, number of vehicles still left, when out of production etc. but in the end I decided that 'Classic' had to consider the last date when a car was manufactured, sold and its volume sales.

I might start thinking MY07 is becoming a classic, but the EOS was sold up until 2018 so I think there is a long time to go? Until then, we will all have the cost and pain of keeping them running which will take more off the road. Their technical complexity requires knwowledge and experience which will become expensive to buy. In the short term (during my lifetime) there should be plenty of used parts around at fair prices, until the numbers scrapped get much lower. All it needs to scrap an older EOS is a rear end shunt and a bent roof, whilst other mechanicals are cheaper and easier to fix.

I used to own a Rover SD1 2.4 diesel turbo just as diesel was appearing in saloon cars.. Few were made and it was beset with engine design and body rot issues. In the end I had to decide if I wanted a reliable car for use or one that stayed in the garage and only driven on sunny days. Sadly I scrapped it and moved on.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 01:31 AM   #32
LtlRedX

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna View Post
I thought about this the other day, when and how cars become 'Classic'. Many factors may come into play - Age, number of vehicles still left, when out of production etc. but in the end I decided that 'Classic' had to consider the last date when a car was manufactured, sold and its volume sales.

I might start thinking MY07 is becoming a classic, but the EOS was sold up until 2018 so I think there is a long time to go? Until then, we will all have the cost and pain of keeping them running which will take more off the road. Their technical complexity requires knwowledge and experience which will become expensive to buy. In the short term (during my lifetime) there should be plenty of used parts around at fair prices, until the numbers scrapped get much lower. All it needs to scrap an older EOS is a rear end shunt and a bent roof, whilst other mechanicals are cheaper and easier to fix.

I used to own a Rover SD1 2.4 diesel turbo just as diesel was appearing in saloon cars.. Few were made and it was beset with engine design and body rot issues. In the end I had to decide if I wanted a reliable car for use or one that stayed in the garage and only driven on sunny days. Sadly I scrapped it and moved on.
They sold Eosí up to 2018 in the UK? In the US the last year available was 2016 & even then it was a limited run
Old 09-02-2019, 05:42 PM   #33
rcboater

My 2009 with 90K miles, in excellent shape has a trade-in value of arount $3500, with a private sale value of $4500.

If anyone rear ends me, I assume the insurance company will write it off as a total loss.

I am at the point in the ownership curve where the the car is worth far more to me than it is to anyone else. If this car was totalled, there's no way way I'd buy any $4,000 car with 90K or more miles....

Last edited by rcboater; 09-02-2019 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
rcboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:43 PM   #34
silvershadow
Ageing Revhead/Moderator

My partner's MY09 has 75,000km "on the clock" and still looks brand new - it is currently insured with an agreed value of AUD20,000 compared with its purchase price of AUD54,000.

It's true value is priceless as it will never be sold as her grand-daughter [currently 14] is now insisting she be given the car as an inheritance.
Carer for my partner's Eos 2.0 TDI DSG MY09 Australian specification - Candy White/Cornsilk Beige leather trim. As at April 2019, I still haven't driven HER car. Her 14 year old grand-daughter has now staked a claim for future ownership when my partner is no longer capable of driving. .
silvershadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:41 PM   #35
ecavuoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtlRedX View Post
Designing, collaborating on a unique & complicated mechanical roof, then building & selling a vehicle only as a niche product? Seems like an intensive investment for a short-term product.
Well again as I mentioned, convertibles (hard and soft tops) have fallen out of favor to the SUVs, trucks, and energy efficient vehicles here in the USA. In nearly all instances, they are not the main vehicle in the home (when going food shopping, the wife's Tiguan is used).

They have fallen dramatically in sales from the peak market in 2004. Today, one out of 100 cars sold in the USA is a convertible, and it will continue to get worse as more convertibles are discontinued. The Buick Cascada soft top, whatever your opinion of the car, only lasted from 2016 to 2019. The Mercedes 300SLC ends production in 2020. The Beetle ends in 2019. It's a niche market car.

That said, I'm fortunate to be able to have my 2015 Eos. It was discounted $5,000 in the last year of production to make it very affordable. I'm not a muscle car guy and the Mercedes and BMW models were out of my price range then in 2015 as it is now. I enjoy driving it (more so now since I'm retired) and I plan to take care of it so it will outlive me. And that will be a long, long time...
ecavuoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:16 PM   #36
paul_c

Didn't realise Mercedes were ending the SLC class (what was the SLK class until they renamed their model range). I guess it makes sense though, if they are declining in sales. It is notable that they introduced a C-class convertible (A205, introduced 2016) and S-class convertible (A217, introduced 2015) though, which suggests its not convertibles as a whole, just the hardtop ones which have fallen out of favour.

Part of the reason I bought my Eos was because its unusual - it presents a double personality of being very rare/unusual/sleek looking, at the same time as being boringly dependable like a Golf. A characteristic shared with its predecessors such as the Karmann-Ghias and Scirocco Mk1.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:41 AM   #37
BobMar46

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtlRedX View Post
Does anyone have any insight as to why VW stopped making the Eos? Has anyone attempted to convince VW to bring back the Eos? They brought the beetle back & now the microbus, why not the Eos?!
It was my understanding that the guy who was head of VW at the time the Eos was developed was convinced they needed to have a hard top convertible in the line. Few others felt that way but he won out at the time. He was gone a long time before the decision to drop the Eos was made. There was speculation it would be dropped after his departure. It is likely that expenses due to dieselgate made decision to drop rather than redesign easier.

IMO at VAG headquarters there may have been some hope that some Eos owners would move up to an Audi Cabriolet. I did.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:55 PM   #38
cb391
Life is good... so far

Something to ponder https://www.trendmotors.com/blog/201...briolet-rumors.
I'm Glad someone else has posted about the management struggle over Eos. I think management wanted a SLK or BMW copy at a lower price. The last Eos in US ranged in price from $34-42 k in price the current SLK/SLC starts at $48k. In 07 In US it is easy to see why they weren't as popular when prices were compared. The EOS could seat 4 MB only two. You could spend another 5k for a BMW 4 series for 53K. When the Eos came out, BMW had the 3 series seating 4 for a closer price point. VW guessed wrong on the Eos in the US, just like the Phaeton which supposed to be the competition for the larger MB and BMW. Price point and name plate spelled doom.

2007 2.0T Sport, Eismeer/Cornsilk, DSG, Enkei PF01 17" wheels w/ Michelin AS/3 tires, DynAudio
Old 09-08-2019, 01:37 AM   #39
Techvet

I believe that price is what ultimately killed the EOS. As Iíve said before, a lot of US car buyers donít appreciate a VW much north of $35k, especially when a BMW or Audi could be had for $4-5K more. Interestingly a lot of those higher end cars get leased verses purchased. Now if VW could have kept the price of the EOS near that of the limited run of those 2016 Komfort models, then the EOS probably would have done very well here in the US. Those cars were stickered in the $31k range and I heard reports of some going out the door for a touch less than $30k. I donít see VW bringing back another convertible unless they can bring something unique and really control cost. Right now they seem to have a healthy dose of SUV/Electric fever like every other car maker.
Techvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:50 AM   #40
mickjane2

VW no longer make a cabriolet hard or soft of any description. The Scirocco died the same day as the T-Cross came on sale there and are no more Beetles being built. It looks like we are all going SUV from now on lol

Mick
2010 Deep Black Pearl SE 2.0 tdi dsg xenons Full electric black leather seats Folding mirrors with chrome covers 18x8j alloys front fogs, Door projector lenses LED footwell lights OEM RNS 510 + bluetooth and Media interface, OEM front and rear mud flaps Sport pedals and dead pedal LED mirror puddle lights and front side lights 35mm lowered springs LED rear number plate lamps.

2018 Tiguan 2.0 TSI DSG SEL Deep Black Pearl.

First EOS 2008 Silver 2.0 FSI DSG sport.
mickjane2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:44 PM   #41
paul_c

They still make the Audi A3 convertible, A5 convertible and TT convertible though. I guess it makes sense - they have the 4 different main brands of Skoda, Seat, VW, Audi, having VW make something expensive/premium and taking market share away from Audi simply doesn't make sense - let that be the premium brand with prices to match.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:36 PM   #42
LtlRedX

BobMar46:
Quote:
IMO at VAG headquarters there may have been some hope that some Eos owners would move up to an Audi Cabriolet. I did.
But the difference is Audi has a ragtop. I don’t have the financial means to park a vehicle during the 7 months long winter we have here. My Eos has been my year round car & I’ve enjoyed it both summer AND winter. Not to mention that ragtops tend to get saggy & worn looking. IMO the romance associated with ragtops is overrated. Now if Audi would step up & make a hardtop convertible, that would be welcome!
Old 09-13-2019, 08:53 AM   #43
voxmagna

If you are looking at future opportunities to keep a cabriolet in your sales line up you have no choice but to look at ragtops and there isn't much scope for both. Why? Because the increasing burden of emissions reduction and growth of electric vehicles will require smaller and lighter vehicles. The rag top can potentially fit the bill and whilst we may mourn the passing of the V.W EOS tin-top, it leaves open the opportunity for a new EV ragtop in their model line up.

Personally with increasing crime rates I prefer myself and my wife to drive and park a secure vehicle which the ragtop is not. I was also surprised to learn from a buddy who bought one of the new Audis that after getting their roof crunched, the high cost of a replacement roof system was similar to the EOS.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:42 AM   #44
cb391
Life is good... so far

Here in the US the market for cars of all types is dying as everyone wants some kind of SUV or truck. It makes no difference what type of convertible it is or who makes it. Even Mercedes is slowly pulling out of the drop top market here. Here it has absolutely nothing to do with fuel mileage or air pollution. It is all about what the motoring public's demand is, nothing more, nothing less. What doesn't sell, gets discontinued. Again I can only talk about what happens here. I'm guessing things are different overseas.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:20 PM   #45
voxmagna

Quote:
Again I can only talk about what happens here. I'm guessing things are different overseas.
Yes, things are a lot different when you are outside the USA bubble. In U.K and E.U we have cities now banning cars not meeting latest emissions rules, or allowing them for a charge. The days have gone for the big V6 3 liter Chelsea Tractors, not on fuel consumption but on emissions and I suspect manufacturers who used to make the big diesels can't get them through the new emissions tests without Ad blue. For the domestic market the future will be electric or hydrogen although the latter seems stalled, but there are still problems to resolve. Most of the big brands now have electric vehicles in their line up. I think eventually we will all be running around on electric hoverboards.

I guess if you are still pulling the black stuff out of the ground you have to use it up somehow?
Old 09-19-2019, 04:48 PM   #46
cb391
Life is good... so far

Not a fan of hoverboards unless they build one I would never fall off of. Like the idea of Teleportation if they ever figure it out. Ford and Gm are quickly moving toward a full line of electric cars as is BMW and Mercedes. VW is as well. I like the idea but not the prices. Most practical right now a hybrid with a clean burn engine using propane , CNG, LNG, or even E85.
Most states here now have emissions testing for cars and light trucks and will not allow them to get license plates unless they pass. I don't know if you read the news, but our nut job president has decided that our emission and fuel mileage requirements are too strict and he wants to roll them back. He has disallowed the requirements developed by California that the automakers had no real issue with. He thinks it will make cars a lot cheaper. many believe it to be a concession to the companies pumping all that black stuff out of the ground.
I'm sorry this discussion has gotten way off topic. We started with the demise of the Eos. Seems we have gotten more onto the philosophical views based on where we live in the world than the actualities of why.

Old 09-19-2019, 04:57 PM   #47
mickjane2

I see that Bosch have jumped on the Hydrogen band wagon.

Mick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 Deep Black Pearl SE 2.0 tdi dsg xenons Full electric black leather seats Folding mirrors with chrome covers 18x8j alloys front fogs, Door projector lenses LED footwell lights OEM RNS 510 + bluetooth and Media interface, OEM front and rear mud flaps Sport pedals and dead pedal LED mirror puddle lights and front side lights 35mm lowered springs LED rear number plate lamps.

2018 Tiguan 2.0 TSI DSG SEL Deep Black Pearl.

First EOS 2008 Silver 2.0 FSI DSG sport.
mickjane2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:13 PM   #48
LtlRedX

Here here Andy! @cb391 *applause*

Hope everyone will get out & vote in 2020. We need to reverse the disaster that’s befallen America since 16.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:22 PM   #49
paul_c

Quote:
I don't know if you read the news, but our nut job president has decided that our emission and fuel mileage requirements are too strict and he wants to roll them back. He has disallowed the requirements developed by California that the automakers had no real issue with. He thinks it will make cars a lot cheaper. many believe it to be a concession to the companies pumping all that black stuff out of the ground.

The automakers love any kind of regulatory change because it means they can design/develop "new" cars which render "old" ones out-of-date (because they don't comply with this week's regulations) and thus flog them to the unsuspecting public. Even better if they can persuade the buyers to trade in or scrap the old cars, one less secondhand car means one more sales opportunity once you've traversed the chain of various car buyers who can only afford secondhand ones etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
beetle, eos, microbus, nostalgia