Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

Tiptronic Down Shifting Poor

7K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  stuang 
#1 · (Edited)
I first test drove a 2007 model and loved the Tiptronic down shifting, you could actually slow the car down. When I got my new 2008 in Nov. 2007 I noticed that the down shifting was almost non-existent. The transmission speeds up the engine so much that it runs at the same speed as before down shifting. I went to the local service manager, who did not believe me until I took him for a ride. Then he said that must be normal!

Has any one else noticed this problem? Does your transmission actually slow the car down when you down shift? I heard from a friend that there is an updated chip for the transmission, has anyone gotten this upgrade?

How my dealer is working on fixing the jerky starting problem that I've had, but he says the downshift issue is normal. The service shop foreman says the transmission compter speeds up the engine to match the new gear and it stays at that speed. Sooooo much for any stopping action from downshifting. From the top gear I can downshift three gears and the car has still not slowed-down much at all!

#2 ·
Ours shift down normally. Actually it down shifted enough to set us forward in the vehicle. Ours is a 2008.

#5 ·
As with other, I feel my braking effect immediately, much like a stick shift. While I don't think I've ever driven one, I suspect that an automatic that "locks' up would do the same.

As for how much slowing down shifting does, obviously it will depend on the grade (with steeper grades resulting in very little or no slowing down). I would think if your car is not slowing down on manual downshifting, your clutches must be slipping or your compression is lower than normal.

#8 ·
I drive down, and turn right at the bottom of, a reasonably long steep hill on the way home.

The Eos will often (but not always) downshift by itself while I am braking, with the revs rising and as a result achieving engine braking.

I suspect that the reason it doesn't always do it, is that my driving style can change, depending on whether I am on the way home from work, or have puttering around locally.

#10 ·
Guys
I might be missing a trick here but surely hitting the brakes is the most efficient way of slowing down!
As for the other posts with clunking and poor changing I suggest this is not normal. My DSG is silky smooth whether in gear, tiptronic or using paddles.
Tim

#11 ·
Agreed - although the Eos is not deliberately engine braking, even if that is the effect, but it is putting you into what it thinks will be the appropriate gear for when you want to accelerate.

Not much of an issue on a long downhill when I am almost home - but would be great if it did it on the Great Ocean Road - although I suddenly realise that it probably would in sports mode - note to self.:rolleyes:

#12 ·
down shifting

Hi Guys
Just To Add A Little Spice To This Thread
The 2007 Indvidual Tfsi We Drive Does Brake Via The Trip Tronic Paddles Like A Manual Drive And I Do Drive As I Have With Manuals Except Of Course Without The Clutch
I've Found The Dsg Gearbox Very Easy To Adapt To After 20 Odd Years Driving Manuals
Best Thing We Ever Did
No Regrets Here Even The Misses Who Does A Lot Of Stop Starts Enjoys The Drive As Shes A Home Help
Stuang

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.