Volkswagen Eos Forum banner

Reversing sensor PDC

5K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Weds 
#1 ·
Hi
Our 2009 EOS reversing sensors have stopped working, the beepers don't work and no display on dash. I've swapped out the PDC unit in the boot with a spare (off Ebay) but they still don't work, is there anything else that I can check.

How is it selected on the gearbox, the reversings lights work ok. does it use a separate switch for the PDC.

#2 ·
You do a diagnostics scan first before changing anything (for the wrong part?) then look at what the results are telling you. If you have to replace a faulty electronic part, the correct new part may need recoding?

Welcome to the modern world of automotive microprocessor control systems. Soon we will have driverless cars, ships and passenger drones. :eek: Some will be crashing, people will be doing DIY repairs and they to will be crashing 'cos they replaced the wrong part or didn't code it correctly. :rolleyes:

#3 ·
It maybe a coding issue, I'm pretty sure I've seen a tick box for the PDC option, as the base model came without parking sensors.

#4 ·
A code scan has found 'Open or Short to ground Parking Aid Warning Chime (H15)' Which is great but where is the Chime/buzzer located, from the wiring diagram is comes off the PDC so I assume wrongly or rightly that it should be close to the PDC in the boot somewhere. Do I need to take the boot trim out completely, at the moment I've just loosened the right hand trim to get at the PDC control box.

Having googled this it now appears to be a common problem across the VW/Audi/Seat range...

#5 ·
The chime is a small piezo buzzer which sits behind the rear right trim cover if I remember correctly? But if that fault code is real, it could be a short in the chime wiring going back to the controller.

Just in case you lead yourself into the black hole of wrong parts from Golfs or other brands that may not work for the EOS, have you checked the part codes are identical in every respect? Even one letter different can be a different module. :( The EOS is very different to other models even though sellers may spin a different line. The Ebay vehicle parts compatibility chart should not be relied on. For example, when the trunk lid hinges out, there may be changes to the module design to mute the sensors. The EOS also uses the reversing sensor module to talk to the roof controller and stop roof operation if something is to close too the rear fender. No other sensor module has to do this and if the data language is incompatible your Ebay module won't work.

Another issue concerns how a module such as this is compatible with other modules it talks to. You may have an older EOS when V.W have now introduced later versions of a replacement unit and a genuine V.W workshop would reflash existing modules to make the new compatible. The safest route for DIY is to source a used EOS specific genuine V.W module of a similar year with exactly the same ID code. Chinese clones tend to use the same ID but change the last letter which you will not find in a VW parts list. :(

At least you have learned that diagnostics will get you further than assuming the problems of others is the same as yours. If it's a common problem, it has never happened on MY07 EOS which is 12 years old and I'm not aware of many others here reporting it. :confused:

Problems usually start when people buy used parts or new Chinese cloned parts off auction sites and misunderstand the complexity of the firmware variations used inside, then expect it to work because on the outside it looks the same and the plug fits!

Rewind your fault strategy now you can do some diagnostics scanning: If your tool is decent, replace the original module and scan to see if you get the same fault code. At the same time read out the data header for the module. Then fit the Ebay unit. If you get exactly the same fault code you 'might' have a compatible module, but read out the header for that and compare with the original. If you get different fault codes and don't see the short to ground fault I would suspect your Ebay module isn't compatible? In the center of your black hole there's always the possibility that a hard wiring fault or short circuit has killed your controller?

#6 ·
The chime is a small piezo buzzer which sits behind the rear right trim cover if I remember correctly?
Yep.

For the benefit of Weds: yank the rear seat up and out; undo the two big screws under the seat and one by the seat belt; as you lift the cover up and out, reach behind and unplug the tweeter wire. The roof flap gets slightly in the way and it's easier to either unclip the top part of it or operate the roof until the flap moves out of the way - especially for reinstallation.

Looks like the controller is a 1K0 part of which some variants are shared with the Scirocco and Caddy. At any rate, I'd want to make sure the part number matched one of the ones listed.

#8 ·
Now you have found both the beeper and the controller, you could test the wire that connects them to make sure it's OK?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.