Dsg omg! - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > Volkswagen Eos Forum > VW Eos Tech Q&A > Engine & Drivetrain

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2018, 07:34 PM   #1
Warren1958
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2
Default Dsg omg!

Hi,
New to the forum. I recently purchased a 2009 Eos for my daughter as a first car. Excellent condition, but had what I assumed was a small transmission problem. Car would shift into reverse only when initially started, otherwise would have to turn off and restart to get into reverse.

Bought the car and took to my favorite mechanic who works on everything - except apparently VW DSG transmission problems. He warded me off with the sign of the cross and directed me to visit a dealership.

At the Volkswagen dealership, I was informed that the car was giving a P2711 error code. According to the Internet, this means Mechanical Error - No Signal / Communication Fault. According to the dealership, this code means buy a new transmission to the tune (sad tune) of $6000.

I've worked on cars all of my life, and a number of those were Volkswagens. The concept that Volkswagen would manufacture an effectively disposable gearbox seems crazy, especially if they are hoping to manufacture and sell more cars in the future.

Does this make sense to anyone out there?

P.S. I've now bought my daughter a Honda and am dealing with the Volkswagen
Warren1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-31-2018, 07:47 PM   #2
mickjane2
Senior Member
 
mickjane2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bexleyheath S.E. London/ N.E. Kent
Posts: 1,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren1958 View Post
Hi,

New to the forum. I recently purchased a 2009 Eos for my daughter as a first car. Excellent condition, but had what I assumed was a small transmission problem. Car would shift into reverse only when initially started, otherwise would have to turn off and restart to get into reverse.



Bought the car and took to my favorite mechanic who works on everything - except apparently VW


At the Volkswagen dealership, I was informed that the car was giving a P2711 error code. According to the Internet, this means Mechanical Error - No Signal / Communication Fault. According to the dealership, this code means buy a new transmission to the tune (sad tune) of $6000.



I've worked on cars all of my life, and a number of those were Volkswagens. The concept that Volkswagen would manufacture an effectively disposable gearbox seems crazy, especially if they are hoping to manufacture and sell more cars in the future.



Does this make sense to anyone out there?



P.S. I've now bought my daughter a Honda and am dealing with the Volkswagen

It could just be a faulty Mechatronic unit which are about 1800 GBP, there are firms that recon these units or you could try for a low mileage S/H unit to keep the costs down as long as you get the same part number as your original IMHO.

Mick



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2010 Deep Black Pearl SE 2.0 tdi dsg xenons Full electric black leather seats Folding mirrors with chrome covers 18x8j alloys front fogs, Door projector lenses LED footwell lights OEM RNS 510 + bluetooth and Media interface, OEM front and rear mud flaps Sport pedals and dead pedal LED mirror puddle lights and front side lights 35mm lowered springs LED rear number plate lamps.

2018 Tiguan 2.0 TSI DSG SEL Deep Black Pearl.

First EOS 2008 Silver 2.0 FSI DSG sport.

Last edited by mickjane2; 10-31-2018 at 08:09 PM.
mickjane2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:11 PM   #3
voxmagna
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hampshire UK
Posts: 4,444
Default

What the Stealership probably means is they do not repair transmissions, or engine internals for that matter. This ensures there are no come backs and reduces the need for highly skilled technicians. Therefore, they will only swap out your transmission for a new one.

That doesn't mean it can't be repaired or some small internal part could be replaced cheaply if available new or used. Communication faults with the rest of the car tend to be electronic control faults or the electronic sensors used by a controller.

I think what you need is a transmission repair shop/specialist that takes them apart and doesn't just swap a faulty transmission for an expensive new one. If the people you see have grease on their hands and wear oily overalls, you are probably in the right place.

VW must love helping global warming and sending repairable parts to landfill via the manufacturing carousel at your expense, rather than encourage repair and recycling.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-31-2018, 08:18 PM   #4
mickjane2
Senior Member
 
mickjane2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bexleyheath S.E. London/ N.E. Kent
Posts: 1,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna View Post
What the Stealership probably means is they do not repair transmissions, or engine internals for that matter. This ensures there are no come backs and reduces the need for highly skilled technicians. Therefore, they will only swap out your transmission for a new one.



That doesn't mean it can't be repaired or some small internal part could be replaced cheaply if available new or used. Communication faults with the rest of the car tend to be electronic control faults or the electronic sensors used by a controller.



I think what you need is a transmission repair shop/specialist that takes them apart and doesn't just swap a faulty transmission for an expensive new one. If the people you see have grease on their hands and wear oily overalls, you are probably in the right place.



VW must love helping global warming and sending repairable parts to landfill via the manufacturing carousel at your expense, rather than encourage repair and recycling.


VW are notorious for not supplying parts for many of their gearboxes and this includes the DSG, the only parts available are mechatronic units, clutch packs and DMF,s, so if you need any internal spare parts they are going to be S/H.

Mick


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2010 Deep Black Pearl SE 2.0 tdi dsg xenons Full electric black leather seats Folding mirrors with chrome covers 18x8j alloys front fogs, Door projector lenses LED footwell lights OEM RNS 510 + bluetooth and Media interface, OEM front and rear mud flaps Sport pedals and dead pedal LED mirror puddle lights and front side lights 35mm lowered springs LED rear number plate lamps.

2018 Tiguan 2.0 TSI DSG SEL Deep Black Pearl.

First EOS 2008 Silver 2.0 FSI DSG sport.
mickjane2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:40 PM   #5
FSJ Guy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 349
Default

Get yourself to a VW specialist independent shop. I suspect they will have better news.
__________________
2007 VR6

Don't mess with me.

I once killed a living hinge.
FSJ Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:08 AM   #6
marcelvwdoctor
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 1
Default

My name is Marcel from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Currently own 2015 TDI, and 2009 EOS.

I've been driving VW for over 30 years. In that time I have had 2 automatic transmissions, one of which DSG, and BOTH of which had problems. I have been in contact with people all over the world about my EOS DSG. I have a 2009 EOS, and it will walk all over many cars. Its only a 200HP 2.0T, but it moves.

Well, it did. I stored the car, and ran it every week to keep things happy. At the scheduled run weekend, I went away for 2 weeks, so it sat for 3 weeks. As it was spring, and roads were nice, I decided I'd just take it to work. Rurr, rurr, click click, dead battery. I put the charger on the car and took the TDI to work.

Next day, I take charger off, and start the car. Everything seems fine. I let it run 10 minutes while I get my sh*t together. Hop in the car, it hits 20kph, and doesn't shift out of first? WTF? Normally hits second in 10 FEET. I stop and select reverse. The reverse proxy beeps, but no reverse and PRNDLS starts flashing. So I go around the block in first, and if I hit 35kph, it shifts to 3rd, and back down when speed drops. I head around, and back to the driveway.

VAG-COM says "Interference in mechatronic module". WTF? Nothing happened except dead battery? So I get a complete used transmission from a 2009 CC, which has the CCTA motor and 02E DSG. Although my TX has AJ wit Exx software, and CC has AM with Fxx software, they look exactly the same mechanically, but different CPU. Another note worth mentioning is that the CC gearbox, although its date stamp is 11-09, the CPU on the mechatronic is dated 10-2015. So it has been replaced.

I installed the mechatronic complete and with a mini DSG reader, I programmed the CPU with the correct Fxx software for my car. Then after configuring all the options, test drive, NOTHING CHANGED. Fk. So i bought a used BCM, installed it, and didnt have the PIN so I had to pay the Stealer $55 to adapt the keys. And now, nothing changed. Back to square one.

I have a complete gearbox, and there is NOTHING to it. It is two completely separate transmissions in one case, and everything moves freely. The DSG is so simple, but nobody knows anything. I looked again on VAG-COM, and it says there is no pressure on any of the solenoid valves or sensors in the mechatronic. So my next move is to remove the left front wheel, and swap the oil pump from the CC gearbox.

I'll examine mine when i get it off, but i expect it to be fine, and that the CC gearbox had the exact same problem as mine, and i got shafted. 😒

.

Last edited by silvershadow; 12-12-2018 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Forgot to introduce myself.
marcelvwdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:05 PM   #7
mickjane2
Senior Member
 
mickjane2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bexleyheath S.E. London/ N.E. Kent
Posts: 1,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelvwdoctor View Post
My name is Marcel from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Currently own 2015 TDI, and 2009 EOS.

I've been driving VW for over 30 years. In that time I have had 2 automatic transmissions, one of which DSG, and BOTH of which had problems. I have been in contact with people all over the world about my EOS DSG. I have a 2009 EOS, and it will walk all over many cars. Its only a 200HP 2.0T, but it moves.

Well, it did. I stored the car, and ran it every week to keep things happy. At the scheduled run weekend, I went away for 2 weeks, so it sat for 3 weeks. As it was spring, and roads were nice, I decided I'd just take it to work. Rurr, rurr, click click, dead battery. I put the charger on the car and took the TDI to work.

Next day, I take charger off, and start the car. Everything seems fine. I let it run 10 minutes while I get my sh*t together. Hop in the car, it hits 20kph, and doesn't shift out of first? WTF? Normally hits second in 10 FEET. I stop and select reverse. The reverse proxy beeps, but no reverse and PRNDLS starts flashing. So I go around the block in first, and if I hit 35kph, it shifts to 3rd, and back down when speed drops. I head around, and back to the driveway.

VAG-COM says "Interference in mechatronic module". WTF? Nothing happened except dead battery? So I get a complete used transmission from a 2009 CC, which has the CCTA motor and 02E DSG. Although my TX has AJ wit Exx software, and CC has AM with Fxx software, they look exactly the same mechanically, but different CPU. Another note worth mentioning is that the CC gearbox, although its date stamp is 11-09, the CPU on the mechatronic is dated 10-2015. So it has been replaced.

I installed the mechatronic complete and with a mini DSG reader, I programmed the CPU with the correct Fxx software for my car. Then after configuring all the options, test drive, NOTHING CHANGED. Fk. So i bought a used BCM, installed it, and didnt have the PIN so I had to pay the Stealer $55 to adapt the keys. And now, nothing changed. Back to square one.

I have a complete gearbox, and there is NOTHING to it. It is two completely separate transmissions in one case, and everything moves freely. The DSG is so simple, but nobody knows anything. I looked again on VAG-COM, and it says there is no pressure on any of the solenoid valves or sensors in the mechatronic. So my next move is to remove the left front wheel, and swap the oil pump from the CC gearbox.

I'll examine mine when i get it off, but i expect it to be fine, and that the CC gearbox had the exact same problem as mine, and i got shafted. 😒

.
I had similar problems with the DSG in my mother inlaws Polo, I purchased a second hand unit which lasted about 3 months. We ended up trading the car in as the S/H unit warranty had run out and how much money do you spend on an old car. Both DSG units suffered with the same problem with the Clutch packs breaking up, this is a known issue on the 1.4 7 speed DSG.

Mick
__________________
2010 Deep Black Pearl SE 2.0 tdi dsg xenons Full electric black leather seats Folding mirrors with chrome covers 18x8j alloys front fogs, Door projector lenses LED footwell lights OEM RNS 510 + bluetooth and Media interface, OEM front and rear mud flaps Sport pedals and dead pedal LED mirror puddle lights and front side lights 35mm lowered springs LED rear number plate lamps.

2018 Tiguan 2.0 TSI DSG SEL Deep Black Pearl.

First EOS 2008 Silver 2.0 FSI DSG sport.
mickjane2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:10 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.