D.S.G. Transmission - VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums

Go Back   VW Eos Forum : Volkswagen Eos Forums > Volkswagen Eos Forum > VW Eos Tech Q&A > Engine & Drivetrain

VWEosClub.com is the premier VW Eos Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:17 PM   #1
Martin S

Default D.S.G. Transmission

Hi, does anybody know anything about having the DSG serviced ? Costs, difficulty etc.

Last edited by Martin S; 05-25-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Martin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2017, 09:56 PM   #2
SCUBATDI

Search is your friend. The job requires some specialized tools and VCDS. Not too difficult, but not for the amateur either. I will be tackling this job in the near future - I have the oil and filter already.
SCUBATDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:18 PM   #3
Martin S

Hi, I popped into the local VW dealer to enquire about a DSG service, and it turns out to be about 190, so I've booked it in. A good price for peace of mind.
Martin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2017, 02:12 AM   #4
EDavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin S View Post
Hi, does anybody know anything about having the DSG serviced ? Costs, difficulty etc.
Just had mine serviced 6-29-17, off my VW invoice from dealership, parts $105.80 (filter -seals-DSG tran oil) labor $194.10 total $299.90
EDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:19 PM   #5
Martin S

Ouch !
Old 07-04-2017, 09:06 AM   #6
nickels

You can do youself, do a you tube video search for methods. I did the measure how much you drain, refill the same amount, worked great. I did mine last summer. No vcds, I had to buy a socket to remove the drain plug as it wasn't one I had.

Last edited by nickels; 07-19-2017 at 01:24 AM.
nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 03:07 PM   #7
OshKoshBygEOSh

Important to do every 40k miles in USA for the extended warranty. Let's just say I've become aware of this on my 2nd hand Eos (okay, 3rd set of hands, or 4th).

If you do it yourself keep the receipt for the parts (fluid and seal)
If you're getting a price 250 or less I'd suggest not worth messing with it yourself. Regardless, get that #$*@ done. #BePoundWise

Last edited by OshKoshBygEOSh; 07-30-2017 at 04:02 PM.
OshKoshBygEOSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:00 PM   #8
wxguy69

For the DSG Service interval which states every 40,000 miles - My EOS is 4 years old but only has 30,000 miles on it; I've been doing the annual service maintenance every year. The DSG service is recommended at 40,000 - should I just wait since I only have 30,000 miles on it even though its 4 years old?
Old 09-19-2018, 12:09 AM   #9
Martin S

Hiya, oil suffers with age as well as mileage, I'd get it done straight away. The DSG is sensitive to regular maintenance.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:26 AM   #10
FSJ Guy

I thought the spec was 40,000 miles regardless of the amount of time that had passed?

<shrug>

Don't mess with me.

I once killed a living hinge.
FSJ Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:17 PM   #11
Alaskaman
Alaskaman

It's not just a 'drain and refill' thing with the DSG. I get mine done for a little less than $200 in the bay area of California, at a very reputable German shop. WAY less than the dealer, I don't have to get dirty, make sure the tranny fluid is up to temperature, measure out, measure in, dispose of fluids and filter, etc. I was an ASE certified mechanic back in the day, and it's still more than I want to deal with, given the penalty for getting it wrong. Stay on the schedule like you would Krytox! A few dollars now saves a bunch in the long run.
Black on Black 2009 LUX, Leather, Michelin 235/40/18 on ASA Rims, Smart top, APR level 1 chip, Tinted Windows, personalized plates, (1XFRMER) autobot badge in grill, JVC nav stereo /w camera, change cubby and euro drink holder. Also have the between the seats subwoofer.
Alaskaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:34 PM   #12
D-Vancouver

Good advice. I agree!! Some things are worth paying to have done.
2013 Deep Black Pearl Highline Edition 2.0 TSI with Vienna Corn Silk interior. 2nd owner. Purchased Aug. 2017. Added Hertz amp/Kenwood subwoofer/new Focal front speakers (no Dynaudio in car), added sound dampening to doors. 83000Km as of June 2018

2015 Tiguan R-Line w/sport suspension. Titanium beige. 34000Km as of June 2018.
D-Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:37 PM   #13
paul_c

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUBATDI View Post
The job requires some specialized tools and VCDS.
I know it needs a 'special' adapter/filler because incredibly, its filled from the bottom. But its a tube with a fitting that has the same size as the sump plug; a tube; and a fitting that should fit a typical plastic bottle. (I found one for 15 on eBay).

And that the VCDS is needed only to measure the oil temp during refill/level, but you could estimate it with not too much issue.

Is there anything else? How did it go DIY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskaman View Post
It's not just a 'drain and refill' thing with the DSG.
Is this about right:

1) drain
2) replace filter
3) refill with special tool/tube as described above
4) let it find its level once its at a certain temperature

Anything else I'm missing? The service interval for DSG fluid change is 40k miles, not indicated on the instrument cluster (so no need to reset that etc)? Is there any other reset needed in the diagnostics?
paul_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:11 PM   #14
paul_c

Anyone done their own DSG service? No?
Old 09-13-2019, 02:48 PM   #15
paul_c

A bit disappointed that nobody was able to reply to this, but I just did the DSG fluid change today and post #13 holds - it really isn't that complicated.

It does take ages to get the fluid in though, it was probably around 2 hours all told, due to the trapped air in the transmission slowly bubbling through. I did it using the gravity feed method in the end, I cut the base off an old 1l bottle of gear oil and was able to use this as a funnel. There's 2 ways of determining how much to put in - either measure what comes out and add that + 0.1l; or do the dealer procedure of filling to slight excess then allowing to drain the overflow (at a certain temperature).

I measured 4.6l out, then put 5.05l (I bought 5l + 1l - and needed to break into the 1l bottle) in (but measured ~0.8l excess because I was able to catch the excess when I did the level check), so I'm happy its spot on.

Worryingly, the snorkel was loose but I don't think its actually caused a massive issue, since the way the oil pan works it would have still held most of the oil in okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement